PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap, I'm going to be on the radio today... FOR AN HOUR

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 03:45 AM
So yesterday I went to an open mic with Skitzic. Played 3 songs and was done. Well, afterwards the host came up to me and asked how many songs I can play. I said between 6 and 8 comfortable. I thought he wanted me for a gig or something. Then he busts out and says that he is a radio dj and a spot opened up in his show for today. Soooo he asked me If i wanted to play.. couldn't turn it down, now I just gotta figure out if I can fill a freaking hour.

Anyway, if you'd like to listen, at 5pm est head to http://www.thephilstahlshow.com/wxlv.html and click on the yellow button for the live stream.

I'll be repping UU on it so listen for me!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Skitzic
10-28-2010, 03:46 AM
This is so exciting!

Lexxy
10-28-2010, 03:55 AM
Go colmes! Decided on what songs to play yet? :P

Mandarb
10-28-2010, 04:00 AM
Good luck and have fun!!

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 04:06 AM
Go colmes! Decided on what songs to play yet? :P

Nope haha. Human Nature, Imagine, Gently Weeps are definite though.

Lexxy
10-28-2010, 04:09 AM
How bout adding the common few that people usually hear? Hey Soul Sister, I'm yours.. (If you're going to sing though)

In my life? (If you don't sing)

Skitzic
10-28-2010, 04:17 AM
Nope haha. Human Nature, Imagine, Gently Weeps are definite though.

*coughcough*Dylan*coughcough*

Dude didn't even really sing, just speak the words to the beat. :D

And I would pay money to hear Colin sing Hey Soul Sister...a lot of money.

luke'nlele
10-28-2010, 04:40 AM
Way to go, CoLmes! If we're not at home at 5pm EST today, will there still be a way to hear the show? Will you be able to post a link to an archive? We'd love to listen to you on the show!

fitncrafty
10-28-2010, 04:43 AM
good luck and congrats! awesome.. I hope that you will post a link to listen because I wont be able to then... I will be at soccer practice! darn...

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Way to go, CoLmes! If we're not at home at 5pm EST today, will there still be a way to hear the show? Will you be able to post a link to an archive? We'd love to listen to you on the show!

I'm not sure. I'm sure they record them or something. I'll ask them as soon as I get there.

molokinirum
10-28-2010, 04:58 AM
Well alright Colmes!!!! That is both exciting and excellent, make us proud!!!

misterpk
10-28-2010, 05:14 AM
That's awesome man! Kick some major arse!

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 05:19 AM
How bout adding the common few that people usually hear? Hey Soul Sister, I'm yours.. (If you're going to sing though)

In my life? (If you don't sing)

haha maybe I'll break out HSS. Yeah i'm going to have to sing to get this hour covered..

I'll do my best to rep UU. I have my shirt on, I'll give as many shoutouts as i can.

Oh and In My Life wouldbe awesomebut I dunno how to play it. :(

dkcrown
10-28-2010, 05:31 AM
Awesome CoLmes! Do us proud. Break a leg

Ronnie Aloha
10-28-2010, 05:56 AM
Great Colmes, I should be able to tune in!

Lori
10-28-2010, 06:26 AM
I want to hear it too. I will not be able to listen live though. They might be able to give you a CD of the show before you leave. If not, you might consider having a small recorder in the room, if it is OK with them. Some of the iPods have a mic, and voice memo feature.

–Lori

DAPuke
10-28-2010, 06:41 AM
CoLmes, I would love to listen to you for an hour..if that's all I can get. Congratulations!
I checked the site breifly and there was something about watching past performances on their Myspace page?
DAP

sukie
10-28-2010, 07:48 AM
haha maybe I'll break out HSS. Yeah i'm going to have to sing to get this hour covered..

I'll do my best to rep UU. I have my shirt on, I'll give as many shoutouts as i can.

Oh and In My Life wouldbe awesomebut I dunno how to play it. :(

I will look for your shirt on the radio, Colin. :p

Remember to have fun. And concentrate.

RyanMFT
10-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Best of luck tonight! I can't listen because I will be working but if there is a place it can be heard later, please post it here!

Pueo
10-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Best of luck tonight! I can't listen because I will be working but if there is a place it can be heard later, please post it here!
W00t PoHo Radio FTW!
Looking forward to listening, Colin!

Skitzic
10-28-2010, 09:36 AM
Someone needs to record this. Even if it's just a mic recording off laptop speakers.

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm going to see if they have wifi, maybe I can connect to the jams or something so you can watch live. Hmmmm other wise I may to record through my mac..

Skitzic
10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
I'm going to see if they have wifi, maybe I can connect to the jams or something so you can watch live. Hmmmm other wise I may to record through my mac..

The jam won't help me Colin. I will be wrapped up in other things for about half your interview. :p

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 09:47 AM
Although I wouldn't get my hopes up for wifi. haha

austin1
10-28-2010, 09:51 AM
whoo, colin, that is awesome! seriously, please record it, I unfortunately have to miss it because I am a slave to the red lobster.

Coconut Willie
10-28-2010, 10:32 AM
Go get 'em Colmes!!!!!! Awesome man, just awesome!

Pueo
10-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I hear Colin playing Human Nature! Cool!

lordlogan
10-28-2010, 11:12 AM
i got on right at 5:09:)

seeso
10-28-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm listening right now! He's repping UU hard core! YEAH BABY

veep
10-28-2010, 11:15 AM
I'm listening right now! He's repping UU hard core! YEAH BABY

yeah it is so cool

Tudorp
10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Tuned in.. Cool..

lordlogan
10-28-2010, 11:20 AM
its so awesome!

Lexxy
10-28-2010, 11:30 AM
Awesome CoLmes!

veep
10-28-2010, 11:34 AM
seeso !!!!

Lexxy
10-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Seeso!!! This is like watching television :)

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Brilliant stuff CoLmes!!!!!

Tudorp
10-28-2010, 11:37 AM
Givin UU props on air.. cool..

veep
10-28-2010, 11:39 AM
seeso he is playing your song !

misterpk
10-28-2010, 11:40 AM
Dude, you're my hero.

You've got steel cajones the size of watermelons! Super cajones even!

Link
10-28-2010, 11:41 AM
This is too epic. Colin you're my boy, blue. You are seriously rocking this Seeso song, wish I coulda tuned in sooner.

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2010, 11:45 AM
"Seeso is the man"!!!!!!
How awesome is this everyone?....Col is doing some seriously good chatting here!!! Lovin it...

TicToc
10-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Listening right now, you just started playing I Shot the Sheriff.

Tudorp
10-28-2010, 11:46 AM
lol.. Yeah, he was afraid how he was gonna fill an hour, but he is doing well with a mix of good Uke talk and playin..

Link
10-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Can I have your autograph, Colin? *throws panties*

Tudorp
10-28-2010, 11:49 AM
lol.. I would throw a pair of mine, but last time I did that, 3 people were killed and 6 injured.. lol

Lexxy
10-28-2010, 11:52 AM
lol.. I would throw a pair of mine, but last time I did that, 3 people were killed and 6 injured.. lol

HAHAHAHAHAH. oh man, i'm getting tummy aches

Link
10-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Haha. Well then you can throw a pair of mine.

Tudorp
10-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Man... I don't know where to go with that response.. lol. I hadn't had an offer like that in years, hahhahha..

Lexxy
10-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Gently weeeeepss!! Oh yea!!!

Tudorp
10-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Its wrapping up with an awesome classic beatles tune. He did very well.. I think I speak for all of us, you made us all proud dude.. Great show..

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2010, 11:57 AM
Gently weeeeepss!! Oh yea!!!

he just rocked Gently weeps....awesome

Link
10-28-2010, 12:00 PM
His passion for the ukulele is just out of this world. It's so inspiring.

veep
10-28-2010, 12:01 PM
great job colin ! you rock sir .

SimplyLuo
10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Ach I just missed it :(

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
just finished... did yourself, the UU and the beautiful ukulele proud...massively brilliant and epic effort at short notice brother Colin!!!

Link
10-28-2010, 12:05 PM
That was awesome. I wanna be like Colin when I grow up.

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Haha oh my god guys ahhhhhhhhhh. So cool you all tuned in. Thanks so much. I was soooo nervous starting out. I recorded it on my mac so ill upload it tonight.

Thanks again guys I tried to rep as many ppl and places I could n still forgot a lot.

I made sure to rep uu haaaard. If it wasn't for this website and the ppl here this would have never happened.

Ukulelerob
10-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Loved the radio broadcast. I wouldn't have been more proud if you were my own flesh and blood.

lordlogan
10-28-2010, 02:12 PM
Haha oh my god guys ahhhhhhhhhh. So cool you all tuned in. Thanks so much. I was soooo nervous starting out. I recorded it on my mac so ill upload it tonight.

Thanks again guys I tried to rep as many ppl and places I could n still forgot a lot.

I made sure to rep uu haaaard. If it wasn't for this website and the ppl here this would have never happened.

it was awesome and i hope oneday i can play like that i doubt it'll come soon, it was awesome and im glad you got that chance:)

Jerlial Prophet
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
I can't believe I missed the entire thing. You've got to give us more notice about this kind of thing people! Anyway, very glad to hear it went so well. Let us know as soon as you get it uploaded. I can't wait to hear it!

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 04:37 PM
I can't believe I missed the entire thing. You've got to give us more notice about this kind of thing people! Anyway, very glad to hear it went so well. Let us know as soon as you get it uploaded. I can't wait to hear it!

Haha I was asked if I wanted to do this the night before. Put this post up as soon as I got home. Believe me, I was on the very short notice side of things as well! Very crazy but verrrry worth it!

I'm putting the videos together right now, gonna be a little while but they will be up tonight or tomorrow

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Haha I was asked if I wanted to do this the night before. Put this post up as soon as I got home. Believe me, I was on the very short notice side of things as well! Very crazy but verrrry worth it!

I'm putting the videos together right now, gonna be a little while but they will be up tonight or tomorrow

that'd be great Col...I loved it and I especially loved your chatting through the set...felt nice and laid back and made us feel like we were there...man I love technology...to be sittin out in the middle of nowhere in Tassie and have a front row seat on the radio show...awesome buddy :shaka:

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 04:44 PM
that'd be great Col...I loved it and I especially loved your chatting through the set...felt nice and laid back and made us feel like we were there...man I love technology...to be sittin out in the middle of nowhere in Tassie and have a front row seat on the radio show...awesome buddy :shaka:

Yeah it was realllly laid back. Phil is a really whatever happens happens kinda guy. I was actually panicking because I could not hear him at all and I was worried I wouldnt fill the hour if I had to play the whole time. But we had a good convo, he was really interested in the uke and the culture and I made sure to do my best to educate him as much. And plug uu 50 times :):)

Hippie Dribble
10-28-2010, 04:52 PM
Yeah it was realllly laid back. Phil is a really whatever happens happens kinda guy. I was actually panicking because I could not hear him at all and I was worried I wouldnt fill the hour if I had to play the whole time. But we had a good convo, he was really interested in the uke and the culture and I made sure to do my best to educate him as much. And plug uu 50 times :):)

you carried yourself really well man, like you said the convo came across as very natural...the UU plugs were fantastic...liked your playing too, tore up Gently Weeps and especially liked the last tune as well...we all were pretty excited as you can tell from the posts!!!

We have a guy in Oz a lot like Phil...his name is Lucky Oceans and he is soooo laid back it isn't funny...he runs a brilliant show called "the Daily Planet" where he plays samples of new music from all round the world...you name it...gypsy, folk, blues, jazz, tribal beats, spanish, african stuff etc etc..great show...Google: ABC Radio National / Daily Planet and you can listen online...

cheers Col

CoLmes
10-28-2010, 05:06 PM
you carried yourself really well man, like you said the convo came across as very natural...the UU plugs were fantastic...liked your playing too, tore up Gently Weeps and especially liked the last tune as well...we all were pretty excited as you can tell from the posts!!!

We have a guy in Oz a lot like Phil...his name is Lucky Oceans and he is soooo laid back it isn't funny...he runs a brilliant show called "the Daily Planet" where he plays samples of new music from all round the world...you name it...gypsy, folk, blues, jazz, tribal beats, spanish, african stuff etc etc..great show...Google: ABC Radio National / Daily Planet and you can listen online...

cheers Col

That's awesome I'll def. check it out. I'm really glad you enjoyed it, the whole thing was awesome! I just wish he recorded it so I could hear exactly how it sounded radio-wise.

Lexxy
10-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Hey colin,

Dropping by to once again say, AWESOME PLAYING! and the conversation came really naturally, woke up early at 8 to listen! :P

Dominator
10-28-2010, 06:04 PM
Congrats Colin. This is awesome. Wish I saw this earlier, I would have tried to tune in.

RyanMFT
10-28-2010, 06:12 PM
Looking forward to hearing your recording! Sounds like you were great, congrats!

ADD
10-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Congratulations. From reading this post, you were awesome. Anxiously awaiting .... hope to hear it soon.

luke'nlele
10-29-2010, 05:45 AM
Colin, just watched your posts of the radio show on your YT channel. This was really exciting and you did fantastic job! Great chat and Gently Weeps...wow! You did UU so proud! You can add your own name to the list that you mentioned, the list of those spreading the ukulele love. Thanks so much for posting on YT for those of us who weren't able to tune in yesterday. It was great fun for us to be able to hear you on the show!

http://www.youtube.com/user/colmes69#p/u/0/jWKEnvn6HmU

http://www.youtube.com/user/colmes69#p/u/1/xVfR-CF9GK8

http://www.youtube.com/user/colmes69#p/u/2/AL7MxJZRMZ4

haole
10-29-2010, 08:17 AM
Watching the videos right now! It's awesome to see how much you've improved since I met you a year ago in Brooklyn. Really, really proud of you, dude!

ADD
10-29-2010, 08:28 AM
WOW! WOW! Conversation was so genuine and playing was incredible. Don't know you, but as proud of you as I would be my own grandson. Starting with Twinkle, Twinkle - damn, almost made me cry hearing you talk about it and then playing it so beautifully and rocking out with it. Wish I could have heard it live. Greatful to UU postings and the videos - brought it all together. Thanks to all.
It was real, Colin. WOW! When I grow up I want to play like you and Aldrine and Jake and Brittni and................

CoLmes
10-29-2010, 08:46 AM
Ok guys here are the videos, finally got them all uploaded and straightened out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7MxJZRMZ4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5BQwu4PGXs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVfR-CF9GK8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MjMU2I2xNU

CoLmes
10-29-2010, 08:47 AM
And the last one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWKEnvn6HmU

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone.This truly would NOT have happened if it wasn't for UU and you guys. Seriously meant a lot to me to see everyone typing a play by play while listening.. sooooooo cool. I hope I was the uke ambassador I was trying to be, if I got one person to listen to me and go out and want to play uke I def. did my job.

Seriously, reallly cool you guys tuned in!

CoLmes
10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
WOW! WOW! Conversation was so genuine and playing was incredible. Don't know you, but as proud of you as I would be my own grandson. Starting with Twinkle, Twinkle - damn, almost made me cry hearing you talk about it and then playing it so beautifully and rocking out with it. Wish I could have heard it live. Greatful to UU postings and the videos - brought it all together. Thanks to all.
It was real, Colin. WOW! When I grow up I want to play like you and Aldrine and Jake and Brittni and................

This was very awesome to read! I'm so happy you enjoyed it. I hope to be up to the level of the people you mentioned some day, just taking it a day at a time and having fun and trying to help spread it like other people are. I have a looooooooong way to go to reach the skill level of a lot of people. DAhh!

RyanMFT
10-29-2010, 09:47 AM
WOW is right....you make me proud to be a uke player! Just really beautiful music! Thanks for posting those videos!

austin1
10-29-2010, 09:59 AM
sally, dirk, and seeso shout-outs! aaaaah, how cool!

salukulady
10-29-2010, 10:07 AM
sally, dirk, and seeso shout-outs! aaaaah, how cool!That's my boy!

haolejohn
10-29-2010, 10:33 AM
So yesterday I went to an open mic with Skitzic. Played 3 songs and was done. Well, afterwards the host came up to me and asked how many songs I can play. I said between 6 and 8 comfortable. I thought he wanted me for a gig or something. Then he busts out and says that he is a radio dj and a spot opened up in his show for today. Soooo he asked me If i wanted to play.. couldn't turn it down, now I just gotta figure out if I can fill a freaking hour.

Anyway, if you'd like to listen, at 5pm est head to http://www.thephilstahlshow.com/wxlv.html and click on the yellow button for the live stream.

I'll be repping UU on it so listen for me!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh
why you worried for? Just do your thang. I got the link to open but the live one isn't activated yet. Hope I don't get fired. I'm still at work.

salukulady
10-29-2010, 10:44 AM
why you worried for? Just do your thang. I got the link to open but the live one isn't activated yet. Hope I don't get fired. I'm still at work.Pssst, Eller. This was yesterday.....scroll down, he's got some links of the recording.

SuzukHammer
10-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Good Stuff.

I enjoyed the videos.

Melissa82
10-29-2010, 03:46 PM
Sorry I missed it! You did an awesome job. Way to go man!