Abused Instruments

Skitzic

Reaction score
There's been a lot of vintage vs new talk lately. I'm just curious to hear thoughts about abused instruments.

I find myself attracted to these scarred up little things. I've always liked vintage instruments because of the link to the past...the stories it's seen, the people that have touched it...all that jazz. I wonder where instruments like this have been, who put that much wear on the fretboard, why it was ultimately discarded...

Here's an example.

416840466_o.jpg

Thoughts?

Im with you.. I think one that shows that much wear on the fretboard is really interesting. It is a good thing to me to see one that was actually used, and used allot. That kind of wear is use, not abuse IMHO tho.. I wonder if it was just someone that loved to play, and play allot, or used profesionally. I mean, look at some of the pros hardware. I used to love to see the miles on the strat that Stevie used to play.
Stevie-Ray-Vaughan.jpg

I have noticed a trend of profesional artists not being ashamed of their tattered instruments lately. Playing in shows their hardware that has obvious use and wear on them. I think it is pretty cool.

yep its a sad sight to see an instrument stuck away and not used. little dings and stuff make an instrument (not mine though ;)).

Although does anyone remember that really bad phase where some of the major guitar brands started producing pre-destressed instruments, brand new but they actually wore away the finish to make it look really old... I guess its the equivilent of buying pre ripped jeans. pretty rediculous on guitars though

yep its a sad sight to see an instrument stuck away and not used. little dings and stuff make an instrument (not mine though ;)).

Although does anyone remember that really bad phase where some of the major guitar brands started producing pre-destressed instruments, brand new but they actually wore away the finish to make it look really old... I guess its the equivilent of buying pre ripped jeans. pretty rediculous on guitars though

I remember that...gah that was terrible. I think it's ridiculous on jeans too. I'm torn about the 'antique' look on banjos. I like it, but in enough years wouldn't the non-antique finish look antique?

Yeah, imagine the stories that old uke could tell:)

Distressed Finish

Along these lines, we are thinking of offering a "Distressed Finish". We already "age" our woods, and use traditional hand finishing techniques. These finishes can also be easily re-coated. Given those elements, in a way, the smooth ding free suface almost looks out of place. We wouldn't do anything to the frets or fretboard.

We were thinking this might relieve some of the "stress" a lot of people have toward scratching or denting their high-end instrument. We would take care of that for them! Then they could play to their heart's content - without a care in the world.

What do you think?

Not too sure about that. IMHO, the stress, dings, scratches and war wombs are earned badges of honor, not bought.. Just my 2 cents on "pre" stressed finished on instruments..

Along these lines, we are thinking of offering a "Distressed Finish". We already "age" our woods, and use traditional hand finishing techniques. These finishes can also be easily re-coated. Given those elements, in a way, the smooth ding free suface almost looks out of place. We wouldn't do anything to the frets or fretboard.

We were thinking this might relieve some of the "stress" a lot of people have toward scratching or denting their high-end instrument. We would take care of that for them! Then they could play to their heart's content - without a care in the world.

What do you think?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a distressed finish instrument. I think the ones who are obsessive about not scratching their instruments would not buy it either, because it looks like they abused it. Make sense?

"I think the ones who are obsessive about not scratching their instruments would not buy it either (distressed finish instrument)"

Good point, and a very valid one I think too...

don't do it!!! =D some distressed instruments look cool because of what has happened to them and their story to tell, it gives them their character. Pre distressed instruments... I can't think of a single positive thing about them, hideous things.

They are still doing that and asking for more for the instruments (Gibson and Fender). Check this blurb out for at $17K SRV replica
Fender Custom Shop Stevie Ray Vaughan Lenny Tribute Stratocaster Electric Guitar Features:

SRV-sanded, contoured body
Billy Gibbons-customized neck
Reflective SRV stickers
1900s-style mandolin body inlay
Mickey Mantle autograph
"Stevie Ray Vaughan 80" etched by SRV onto neck plate
Meticulously replicated wear and tear—
stratches, nicks, dings, and paint wear
Cigarette body burns recreated using SRV's cigarette brand
Reverse-mounted tone pots
SRV's non-original bridge and non-standard strap buttons
Recreation of cracked headstock end and worn-in string winder impressions
Flight case with Vaughan's name embroidered in the case fabric

This is not made up http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Custom-Shop-Stevie-Ray-Vaughan-Lenny-Tribute-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=515826

The one made with off brand of cigarettes just wasn't selling. I hope the uke world doesn't get like this.

I like vintage instruments because they show charather from wear and tear, with that original worn look, If anyone started to sell pre disstressed ukes...I would not be intrested..I'd call them fakes...lol...

Wow!

Seems pretty obvious I'd better re-think that idea.

I spent a number of years with both finish manufacturers and furniture manufacturers - also as a consultant, creating finishes for furniture lines. With traditional furiture, the distressed pieces were always most popular. I think a lot of people just didn't want to wait a few decades to get the patina that comes with age. It was a lot of fun to do them - mainly because done right, they were just the prettiest.

Along with that, I didn't want our pieces sitting on the shelf either. I knew this was not as common a practice with musical instruments outside of electric guitars, but didn't realize the negative reaction would be so pronounced. I think the most telling comment, though, was from Skitzik:

I think the ones who are obsessive about not scratching their instruments would not buy it either, because it looks like they abused it.

As he said, wouldn't make sense to spend a lot of extra time and trouble when the very people it was intended for wouldn't go there.

Thanks, everyone!

Yep, furniture is completley different case. People like the look as a fasion statement and want a vintage look without having to find old dusty stuff. They like the look, not the history of it. With instruments, it is completely different mind set I really think.. I would buy a beat up instrument with history, but never a "simulated" distressed instrument. Like I said earier, it is more of badge of honors than a fasion statement in that case..

Bluebird Uke - The Real Deal- Not abused just loved to death

I got my wife this old Bluebird uke. By the looks of the e-bay pic someone had played the heck out of it so I figured it must be a playa. We weren't disappointed, it has a bright punch tone. She loves it.

She played it for about two years with the strings it came with. They looked like 1,000 year old cyrstalized nylons. They went dead so I tried worth mediums or hards (I can't remember which) and they sounded like the "original" strings.

I say it's not abused it's just been loved to death.

Definately one to play old tin pan alley songs on and it's LOUD!!!

Attachments

• real Deal 2.jpg
    real Deal 2.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 34
  • real Deal 1.jpg
    real Deal 1.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 41
To Restore and How?

This is a little more on point than my previous question.

While I worked for a good while in furniture manufacture, I worked for a good while in furniture restoration before that. Did work for some national museums. Followed a similar path with musical instruments. Now I'm around half of Southcoast Ukes, but for several years before, I bought, restored and sold vintage instruments.

While I'm not involved in restoration any more, it would be fun to hear the underground take on the subject. I'll use furniture references again here. The "battle lines" in furniture have been pretty clearly drawn. It seems things aren't as clear in musical instruments, but the ideas seem to flow along the same lines.

With furniture, you have (#1) the European museum philosophy: a restoration means putting a piece back in the condition in which it was when it was originally built. This means removing all damage and often removing and reapplying finish. With truly fine historical pieces, it will involve research into the wood purchases and inventories of 200 year old cabinet shops, and searching for woods from the same locales for replacements. The process can run decades and the cost can be astronomical.

Then you have (#2) the American museum philosophy. Do not remove damage, do not change out damaged or replaced parts, no matter how inappropriate, and "restore" the original finish. This will involve a cleaning and "re-flow", of the original finish, followed by a topcoat of whaterever the original finish was. In other words, the American philosophy is to bring the piece back far enough to show it's beauty, but leave it's history intact.

Finally, there is (#3) the "Antique Dealer's" philosophy. This one is gaining or has gradually gained prominence. "Leave everything just as it is. Change anything and all value as an antique is gone!" Coincidentally, this philosophy also allows antique furniture dealers (and dealers in vintage instruments as well) to turn the highest profit.

I've got my own ideas. What are yours? What would you do. for example, with Skitzik's remnant or the Ukuleleblues Bluebird?

Last edited:
Well in my case I have purchased new and used ukes and I buy ukes to play them.

One of the Gretch ukes that I bought was a sad case it had a popped bridge, the back was almost off the front had two large cracks, the braces were loose and it only had two tuners, but it did look like it had character. The price was $25 so not a big loss if it turned out to be firewood.

My local lutherie was given this brief, do what needs to be done so I can play it, $200 later I have FrankenGretch it still has a lot of scars but when I play it, it makes me happy that it is back making music.

So new or old, restored or not, distressed or pristine, what it has to do is be able to is make music.

don't do it!!! =D some distressed instruments look cool because of what has happened to them and their story to tell, it gives them their character. Pre distressed instruments... I can't think of a single positive thing about them, hideous things.
They just seem silly to me....

Hey Tudorp....how are you doing?

My pholosophy is leave it alone and done erase history. The only exception to that is, bring it back to serviceable (useable) and that is it. Cosmetically, leave it as history made it.

Doin good Saluku. Lost a total of 70 lbs now torwards my healthy goal. Still a big old fat guy, but feel better already, and keepin on my quest.. Thanks for askin..

Top Bottom