I get my uke tomorrow... can I have some preparation advice?

Mattson

Reaction score
I am going to print up all the chords. I can find all the tabs for the chords but when I print them up I want to print up the chord for the tab and its musical notation along side it.(i'm sorry if this is confusing... by tab I mean the fingering chart for the chord)

I want to one day be able to sight read music and tabs are great for the chords. I just think it will help me better achieve my goal one day if I can see the chord tablature with the note.

Also... flash cards... I know it sounds silly but I'm thinking about making some. When I was in school they were great for memorizing vocabulary. Shuffle them up, then draw a random one and try to play the chord... would this be a silly idea?

As the topic title states... I'm getting my uke tomorrow. Two actually. I'm buying the Makala Soprano they have in stock and I'm ordering a Makala Tenor as well. Is there anything else I should do in preparation aside from reading this site?

PS: Again, if any of this is confusing it is because I'm really new and I don't even know the proper wording... I'm sorry if my ignorance in any way offended you.

Start pacing. That's what you do when you are expecting a new ukulele. Forget sleeping tonight. It won't happen. Have fun.

Uncle Rod's boot camp, if you do a search here on UU you will get the links it's free and great and teaches your chords... There are lots of great books, I like the Ukulele method books by Lil Rev they have been really helpful and they have both musical notation and tab in them which I like too because I am also hopeful to learn to read music as well.

Good luck, I know how exciting it is waiting for that new uke! There was also a thread a few days ago. poke around the forum that had a link to printable flash cards.

Oh and a clip on tuner is very helpful too. I bought a Kala after I put my first uke out of tune and couldn't play it until I got it back in tune... great thing to have.

Look forward to hearing how you like it and are progressing!!

Carrie

Go to the UU main page. Click on the "Top 50 ukulele sites" and look around. You will have so much information you won't know what to do with it all. You'll find some nice music to play. Don't have a tuner? You'll find a computer one there. You will have a ball learning how to play. Remember to ask any questions here that you want. We'll help ya.

Here are some links for you under my signature.

Enjoy the wait and your new uke!

Call out sick from work (or school)!!!!

You gotta learn Ka'au Crater Boys - SURF!! It's the first song anyone from Hawaii learns. practice going from one chord to the other. also try learning some basic (real basic) scales. those come in handy. get a chromatic tuner. have fun!! good luck

Aloha Mattson,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....And congrats on you first two purshases of your Makala's....Check out Dr. uke site...Have fun and enjoy!!! MM Stan..

Call out sick from work (or school)!!!!

This is clearly the first thing anyone is their right mind would do. I hear the week long flu has been going around. By that time you'll be feeling better and your fingers will need to stop bleeding anyways. Also you'll need more money for your UAS.

always good to hear of a new uker.

My tips

1. Learn some chords, and dont worry bout songs - practice moving between at least the major chords for A,C,D,G,F, then progress from there. Print off a chord sheet from here - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/p/ukulele-chord-charts.html

2. There are a ton of song sheets on the net. I print mine to A4, put them in plastic hole punched see thru sleeves, and keep them in a ring binder - instant protected uke songbook you can add to or change

3. practice practice practice and take time of work (as said above!)

4. start saving for more ukes

Any other tips - check out my blog (sorry shameless plug - but it is aimed at beginners) - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/

Best of luck, and most of all, stay on UU - loads of advice and the friendliest folk you could care to find on here

oh man I'm ****ing sour. I replied to this and it didn't show up and I don't want to post that all again.

Anyway... Uncle Rod I actually downloaded those links before I even made this topic coincidently enough. They were the only things I've downloaded so far. I've been learning songs, particularly the Penalty by Beirut. I love that song. It is such an amazing feeling when the song you're trying to play sounds right.... its great.

As for those 'major' chords that pauljmuk posted... I read those and I instantly knew how to finger them; I've got them all memorized. Of those 'major' chords I have the most trouble with D. I can't get all 3 of my fingers onto the 2nd fret. What I do instead is I play them all with my index finger... I'm still trying to do it right but its hard...

It's been loads of fun. I've been playing for a day now. I got a Kala KA-T. I actually had the uke for a couple of days but with Halloween and stuff I've been super busy... I don't even have my uke on me now, I left it at a friends house because it was raining when I left.

Aloha Mattson,
You could use your index finger to barre on the GCE strings 2220 or try 2225 second position or 7655 for the "D" chord.....MM Stan..

That's what I've been doing, 2220. Does it matter if I play it 'right'.

Top Bottom