Aquila Inconsistencies...

70sSanO

Reaction score
Over the past month or so I have been trying out different strings. I probably have a couple of Aquila sets with little playing time, but I found that the intonation and tone is a little inconsistent.

On one set the g string intonation changed by 4mm when I flipped it from one end to the other.

I have also seen tone changes from one set to another. For example one C sting will sound dead and the next sounds fine.

I have ended up piecing a couple sets together to get a good set... not too cost effective.

I know that there are bad strings from time to time, but I have seen it a little more often lately.

Has anyone else run across this?

John

I changed my strings for the first time on my Kamaka this weekend. I felt the C string was a little wonky (to use a technical term) from a brand new set so I replaced it with another C string from another new set. Overall, I like Aquilas.

I've used a fair few aquila's and can't say I've noticed any issues that I've put down to the strings. I can't imagine its good for a string to completely unstretch it to take it off then restretch it again though.

It happens sometimes if they are not spun correctly.

Here's a great video from Bosko and Honey. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Cwe_pz0Uo

I've also noticed that sometimes the strings improve if you leave them alone for awhile, maybe they still have some moisture in them if they are fresh.

Top Bottom