Can you walk past your ukulele more than twice without picking it up?

Uke Republic

Reaction score
I'm chock a block with ukes and I can't pass without picking one up even for a quickie strum. It may just be a quick 3 chord or part of a song. Do you suffer from such a wonderful condition? It's also happening with the steel drums .

I have my uke right next to my desk (I work mostly from home). Every time I finish marking a paper, I pick up the uke and play it. Sometimes, I pick it up WHILE I'm marking a paper. I play it while I'm surfing the Internet. I play it when I should be writing lectures. I play it at three o'clock in the frickin' morning, when I'm finishing off my comic. I think I need help.

I have my trusty Flea sitting out next to the computer desk and most of my others in their cases a few steps away. If I am in this room, I generally have one in my hands or next to the Flea in a stand. If I don't get one out of the cases, I just grab the Flea. About the only time I don't pick one up (often, at least) is first thing in the morning when I'm getting dressed for work. I leave the house at 6 AM, and I am NOT a morning person, so I sleep and then stand in the shower for as long as possible before I have to bolt out the door. So I have no time to play then. Although once in a while I will pick it up and do a couple of muted strums. You know.... just to get the circulation going.

Unfortunately I often have to! It seems some weeks the only time I get to spend with them is checking their humidifiers between flying trips. But I just bought a cheapie to take with me so I'll have something to play on layovers.

It's impossible. Especially when I have a Fluke in the living room, a Flea on my computer desk, a baritone next to my bed, and a few others taking up half my couch. Something will get picked up and strummed every day, at least once. My best musical ideas come to me when I instinctually grab a uke as I walk by.

Nope, can't do it. I take one to work with me. I play it during breaks in meetings. On the ride to and from, I play it at stoplights in the car. I go almost no where without one. I have one on every floor of my house ;) Hmmm...my wife thinks I'm obsessed....maybe I am.....alrighty then, where did I leave a uke? It's getting so I need one in every room.

Mine hang in the hallway thanks to ToucanMango (another UU'er...he is here) and every time I walk by my dogs gets those darn fleas- makes my wife laugh so hard ;)

One next to bed, one hanging from desk and two on stand in living room next to the couch...too much temptation to walk away.

for me it's not so much about pickin em up...the more relevant question is can I put em down long enough to perform basic functions of everyday living? :eek:

I keep my Makala Dolphin on the piano in the living room and often pick it up for a quickie. It gets me into trouble because sometimes I'm supposed to be helping get the kids ready or something but I can't resist picking it up. When I do that, I only mean to play like 3 chords or something but my wife doesn't know that and she gets understandably frustrated.

I keep my Makala Dolphin on the piano in the living room and often pick it up for a quickie. It gets me into trouble because sometimes I'm supposed to be helping get the kids ready or something but I can't resist picking it up. When I do that, I only mean to play like 3 chords or something but my wife doesn't know that and she gets understandably frustrated.

I'm with you on that. Sad thing is that I've got one at work and play it quite a lot during the day too - so she gets even more frustrated.

yeah same for me i have my eleuke and amp in the lounge the eleuke is currently just sat next to me i stopped halfway thru hay there deliah for a phone call, so took a quick check on here and facebook twitter Etc. now its time to pick it back up again ;)

Great forum question...it is hard for me not to walk past my Ukulele and not play it. I have 5 and my husband thinks if I need another like I need a hole in my head. I play my uke everyday if I can and I must say that I can't walk past my uke and not pick it up. I would say it's not an obsession but a passion. Not a lot of people have passion.

Well, I sold my Sceptre and my Pono, and shipped my Lanikai to my daughter who is in the Peace Corps in Ajerbaijan. I'm down to 5 ukes and will be down to 4 when someone buys my Kala.

Well, I'll be down to 4 until Mike gets the Ohana 2M ;) then I'll be back up at 5....Mike, don't forget me!!!!

I tend to pick up the Martin the most at the moment because it's really convenient. I'm leaving the kala packed up so it's ready to go. The Ohana and the Martin travel with me the most but the Pineapple Sunday and the KoAloha tenor get played when I'm playing through an amp.

I only occasionally pick up my guitar since I took up the uke. Ukes are way more fun ;)

Guess I'm the exception. I enjoy the uke, but spend more time with my basses. Might explain why my uke skills are still
less than what they should be.

I can't walk past my ukes without a strum either. I keep a uke by the computer now too for all those painful waiting during download moments...

Top Bottom