Silk From A Sow's Ear.

Anton K

Reaction score
Many times one hears: "You can't make silk from a Sow's ear". However in the Ukulele World this is not always true. I wanted to get a nice solid top baritone Yuke, but I didn't want to spend much. I bought the Amigo AMB7 for 60 bucks.

When it arrived I could not have been more dismayed. It was for the most part junk. However it was a solid spruce top and solid mahgony sides and back. The tuners were cheap frictions and the frets were well horrible. I set it aside.....

Then one day I took it down and looked at it and wondered what if?

Grover tuners? done 30 bucks
Replace the first 12 frets and lose the last 3? done 48 bucks
Bone the nut and saddle lower the action? done 25 bucks
Aquila strings? done 10 bucks

Once all of this was done I had a very solidly built solid top nice sounding Yuke for 173 bucks. I like to tune it GCEA, it has a real sweet haunting sound when tuned standard as opposed to baritone tuning. Many friends have played it and most say "I gotta get get one of these". To which I say "DON'T, unless you are willing to make silk from a sow's ear.

Aloha Anton,
Welcome to the UU and the forums....after all $123.00 of upgrades, I glad to hear it worked for you.....
You never know if it will be worth until you finish it...Have fun and Enjoy!!! Keep Strumming them strings" MM Stan..

Great thread title and story. I'm impressed. Congratulations on the transformation and welcome.

Top Bottom