Update on my teaching!

joeybug

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Some of you saw this thread and replied with some great advice, for those who didn't, I'm teaching my six year old God daughter how to play the nice Ukulele she got for her birthday.

People asked to be kept informed and so after our first lesson, I can tell you it's going GREAT!

We watched one of Madeline Pots instruction videos and played "Old MacDonald" with just a C chord, then I taught her the F chord and G7 chord for the practise switching between the three because her goal right now is to be able to play Jingle bells for her Mum for Christmas. That leaves D and G to be taught, she's going to pracitse "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" without the G chord because I thought four chords was a bit much! She knows how to switch from C to F and back again, but G7 is a little bit harder, so I'm telling to just practise switching between then without playing so she gets the feel of them.

She loved it, her strumming will need work, since like me when I first played she doesn't hit all the strings, but we have time and we had fun! She didn't get bored, we played for about 20-30mins not including times when I was tuning both Mei and Astrid since they both have new strings that need to settle, and she went off to play while I did that, but always came straight back when I said we were ready to start again.

I don't think I'll use Madeline's video again, she was good to start her off, but she didn't like just watching a video and preferred it when I actually taught her the songs or the chords.

So, I'll update this post in a week after our second lesson rather than keep making new ones :D

Thanks for all your advice and links, they REALLY helped :D

Joey

hey Joey

thanks for the update buddy...great that Darla had a good time at the first lesson, and, you say, she's got a grasp of two chords already! Awesome news. Like you said elsewhere, I think the important thing for any young child starting with an instrument is enjoyment. That's really the key ingredient because if they have that, then they have an inbuilt motivation...if you can keep her having fun during her lessons her progress will be quicker and she'll develop her own love of an instrument that we all adore. If she sees you happy and having fun playing, then its kid of infectious in the best of ways... Good on you mate..."Jingle Bells" will sure sound sweet at Christmas time

Aloha Joey,
I'm glad to hear that is having so much fun too with the ukulele...I guess you have a good partner now and you both can motivate and inspire each other....It makes it so much more fun and enjoyable..
How about her mother, does she dabble with the too??? Then you can all learn together....You can teach darla C7, A7, Am, D7,(2020)Cm7(0002)chords and barre on the second and forth fret....maybe you can start her on a simple chord progression such as C, Cm7, F....reconize that????? Imagine....hmmm or C, F, C7, F...or C, Am, F, C7, F.....and so forth....what a great way to bond with Darla and Music...MM Stan..

hey Joey

thanks for the update buddy...great that Darla had a good time at the first lesson, and, you say, she's got a grasp of two chords already! Awesome news. Like you said elsewhere, I think the important thing for any young child starting with an instrument is enjoyment. That's really the key ingredient because if they have that, then they have an inbuilt motivation...if you can keep her having fun during her lessons her progress will be quicker and she'll develop her own love of an instrument that we all adore. If she sees you happy and having fun playing, then its kid of infectious in the best of ways... Good on you mate..."Jingle Bells" will sure sound sweet at Christmas time

She certainly seemed to enjoy herself! She also seems to be grasping things quicker than I did, but I guess kids minds are ripe for learning, whereas when you get older it's harder, so starting young is a good idea!

It sure will sound sweet, we might even do a Christmas video!

Aloha Joey,
I'm glad to hear that is having so much fun too with the ukulele...I guess you have a good partner now and you both can motivate and inspire each other....It makes it so much more fun and enjoyable..
How about her mother, does she dabble with the too??? Then you can all learn together....You can teach darla C7, A7, Am, D7,(2020)Cm7(0002)chords and barre on the second and forth fret....maybe you can start her on a simple chord progression such as C, Cm7, F....reconize that????? Imagine....hmmm or C, F, C7, F...or C, Am, F, C7, F.....and so forth....what a great way to bond with Darla and Music...MM Stan..

Her goal for the week to be able to move between those chords easily and I'll make sure she tries to do some kind of practise! Even if it doesn't involve strumming, is just practising her fingering...no pressure though, wanna keep it fun! Her mum likes that Darla is learning and that I play, but prefers guitar and even then she's not learnt much, I know more on the Ukulele than she does on guitar, but it's not a problem, she has other hobbies :D

I am so happy to hear this! Yeah for you and Darla!! Thats great news... Maybe Darla will want to watch Madeline's videos during the week when you are busy with other things. I watched them myself... The good news is I think I know enough she can't teach me much more! Miracle.. I digress.

Yeah for you both.. seems like there will be lots of beautiful sounds in your house over the holidays!!

Top Bottom