Is Salt Lake City, UT anti-ukulele ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotoriousMOK

Reaction score
So it is rumored (usually claimed as a fact) throughout the internet that a law exists in Salt Lake City, Utah which 'prohibits carrying of an unwrapped ukulele on the street' -- some sources further specify that this law only applies on Sunday.

I took a quickie search through the city's website, and even found a search tool for their city codes/ordinances, but was unable to locate this 'law'. What laws are available online, however, appear to brief and/or incomplete.

I'm curious if any of our members are in a position to attempt to verify this in person -- any volunteers???

OMG that's awesome. I'd love to get arrested for carrying an unwrapped ukulele in Utah.

I wonder how that crazy law came about. It's got to be a holdover from the 20's or 30's when being a musician meant you were only up to drinking and womanizing.

Hmm... not much has changed, eh? :D

Yes. This is definitely on the books in Salt Lake City. The law was written after an incredibly talented ukulele player took the town by storm.

He had women swooning at his feet and and wanting to engage in lascivious activites with him!

I heard that recently a small group was banding together to try to get the law revoked...

Yes. This is definitely on the books in Salt Lake City. The law was written after an incredibly talented ukulele player took the town by storm.

He had women swooning at his feet and and wanting to engage in lascivious activites with him!

I heard that recently a small group was banding together to try to get the law revoked...

I didn't know seeso lived in Utah....

Wow, now I have a whole new incentive for practicing my uke lessons!:love:

The two times I've had to go SLC, all I know was it was near impossible to get a drink......I don't frequent any state that's dry. Very frustrating. No booze, no Salukulady.........

I could not agree with you more Salukulady! I try to stay out of Utah all together. They are wacky there, and it goes way beyond the anti-uke ordinance. It would be totally cool to have a ukulele jam in the Tabernacle lawn on a Sunday and see what happens...Mormons don't really have a sense of humor though I'm afraid.

I could not agree with you more Salukulady! I try to stay out of Utah all together. They are wacky there, and it goes way beyond the anti-uke ordinance. It would be totally cool to have a ukulele jam in the Tabernacle lawn on a Sunday and see what happens...Mormons don't really have a sense of humor though I'm afraid.
I've always admired your screen name.....

hah thats crazy! i cant imagine not being able to walk around with my uke.

this is numero uno on the list of "100 places a uke player has to see before they die".

lol

(yay 400th post)

Last edited:
Oh, it is ON, Salt Lake City. :nana:

hey! i live in salt lake city, and heck no! all of us polynesians over here uke wit pride, even tho everyone else is into ski'ing and stuff like that. but me and mah bruddas uke it up any day, anywhere. and when we walk with our ukes, we walk wit pride. so salt lake city DOES have some ukers. but we need more! yall welcome to pay a little visit.

The two times I've had to go SLC, all I know was it was near impossible to get a drink......I don't frequent any state that's dry. Very frustrating. No booze, no Salukulady.........

Utah is no longer dry, it hasn't been for quite some time. It's relatively easy to get a drink these days, so much easier than it used to be. In comparison to England however I agree, it is fairly bad!

I've spent a lot of time in Utah and think it's a great place, the skiing is excellent. Luckily few people visit for the aforementioned reasons so there's plenty of room for a good time.

I've never heard of this rule about ukuleles and neither have any of my Mormon friends! If you plan to test it I'd stay away from the Churches, how about in downtown SLC somewhere, or maybe even a mall? The gun laws there are rather liberal so if the law does exist, expect it to be enforced with much gusto, including the unloading of various automatic assault weapons...

no way in HELL! is there a stoopid rool

dats it
all u UU ukers (lol)
lets rally up our ukeing forces
and hav a sooprize concert in saltLAKEsitty,UT

i tink deres no ukes on sunday because all da flippin mormons
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
:confused::confused::confused:

When I was there it wasn't actually dry, you just had to purchase your booze at a state controlled liquor store that would close at 5 mon-sat and was closed on sun. If you went out to a restaurant, you brought your own booze and had to buy a "set up" for $5. (a set up is a glass of ice). I consider that a "dry state". At least too dry for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom