PDA

View Full Version : Is Salt Lake City, UT anti-ukulele ???

NotoriousMOK
06-26-2008, 03:10 PM
So it is rumored (usually claimed as a fact) throughout the internet that a law exists in Salt Lake City, Utah which 'prohibits carrying of an unwrapped ukulele on the street' -- some sources further specify that this law only applies on Sunday.

I took a quickie search through the city's website, and even found a search tool for their city codes/ordinances, but was unable to locate this 'law'. What laws are available online, however, appear to brief and/or incomplete.

I'm curious if any of our members are in a position to attempt to verify this in person -- any volunteers???

seeso
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
OMG that's awesome. I'd love to get arrested for carrying an unwrapped ukulele in Utah.

I wonder how that crazy law came about. It's got to be a holdover from the 20's or 30's when being a musician meant you were only up to drinking and womanizing.

Hmm... not much has changed, eh? :D

SailQwest
06-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Yes. This is definitely on the books in Salt Lake City. The law was written after an incredibly talented ukulele player took the town by storm.

He had women swooning at his feet and and wanting to engage in lascivious activites with him!

I heard that recently a small group was banding together to try to get the law revoked...

deach
06-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Yes. This is definitely on the books in Salt Lake City. The law was written after an incredibly talented ukulele player took the town by storm.

He had women swooning at his feet and and wanting to engage in lascivious activites with him!

I heard that recently a small group was banding together to try to get the law revoked...

I didn't know seeso lived in Utah....

RON<>VA
06-26-2008, 03:50 PM
[quote=SailQwest;41552]Yes. This is definitely on the books in Salt Lake City. The law was written after an incredibly talented ukulele player took the town by storm.

Wow, now I have a whole new incentive for practicing my uke lessons!:love:

Plainsong
06-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Ok, let's fight the power! Everyone to Salt Lake City for a Uke-in! :rock:

salukulady
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
The two times I've had to go SLC, all I know was it was near impossible to get a drink......I don't frequent any state that's dry. Very frustrating. No booze, no Salukulady.........

Boozelele
06-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I could not agree with you more Salukulady! I try to stay out of Utah all together. They are wacky there, and it goes way beyond the anti-uke ordinance. It would be totally cool to have a ukulele jam in the Tabernacle lawn on a Sunday and see what happens...Mormons don't really have a sense of humor though I'm afraid.

salukulady
06-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I could not agree with you more Salukulady! I try to stay out of Utah all together. They are wacky there, and it goes way beyond the anti-uke ordinance. It would be totally cool to have a ukulele jam in the Tabernacle lawn on a Sunday and see what happens...Mormons don't really have a sense of humor though I'm afraid.I've always admired your screen name.....

14twelve
06-26-2008, 09:02 PM
LOL! That is so bizarre. I thought this thread was a joke till I read further down. That's amazing that there's actually a law like that!

j312311
06-26-2008, 09:20 PM
hah thats crazy! i cant imagine not being able to walk around with my uke.

nikolo727
06-27-2008, 01:11 PM
this is numero uno on the list of "100 places a uke player has to see before they die".

lol

(yay 400th post)

UkuleleBlake
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Presenting the Ukulele March of Salt Lake City. 1000 Ukulele players. 1 Law. 1 City.

VengefulTikiGod
06-27-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh, it is ON, Salt Lake City. :nana:

islandboyuker
06-27-2008, 03:36 PM
hey! i live in salt lake city, and heck no! all of us polynesians over here uke wit pride, even tho everyone else is into ski'ing and stuff like that. but me and mah bruddas uke it up any day, anywhere. and when we walk with our ukes, we walk wit pride. so salt lake city DOES have some ukers. but we need more! yall welcome to pay a little visit.

Nurdaben
08-05-2008, 09:02 AM
Im headed out to SLT tonight for work tomorrow. Do they have any uke shops out there that anyone knows of?

NotoriousMOK
08-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Im headed out to SLT tonight for work tomorrow. Do they have any uke shops out there that anyone knows of?

. . . I wonder if purchase of a case is mandatory??? :rolleyes:

upskydowncloud
08-05-2008, 10:20 AM
The two times I've had to go SLC, all I know was it was near impossible to get a drink......I don't frequent any state that's dry. Very frustrating. No booze, no Salukulady.........

Utah is no longer dry, it hasn't been for quite some time. It's relatively easy to get a drink these days, so much easier than it used to be. In comparison to England however I agree, it is fairly bad!

I've spent a lot of time in Utah and think it's a great place, the skiing is excellent. Luckily few people visit for the aforementioned reasons so there's plenty of room for a good time.

I've never heard of this rule about ukuleles and neither have any of my Mormon friends! If you plan to test it I'd stay away from the Churches, how about in downtown SLC somewhere, or maybe even a mall? The gun laws there are rather liberal so if the law does exist, expect it to be enforced with much gusto, including the unloading of various automatic assault weapons...

laietildaend
08-05-2008, 10:27 AM
dats it
all u UU ukers (lol)
lets rally up our ukeing forces
and hav a sooprize concert in saltLAKEsitty,UT

i tink deres no ukes on sunday because all da flippin mormons
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????
:confused::confused::confused:

salukulady
08-05-2008, 10:30 AM
When I was there it wasn't actually dry, you just had to purchase your booze at a state controlled liquor store that would close at 5 mon-sat and was closed on sun. If you went out to a restaurant, you brought your own booze and had to buy a "set up" for $5. (a set up is a glass of ice). I consider that a "dry state". At least too dry for me.

upskydowncloud
08-05-2008, 11:04 AM
When I was there it wasn't actually dry, you just had to purchase your booze at a state controlled liquor store that would close at 5 mon-sat and was closed on sun. If you went out to a restaurant, you brought your own booze and had to buy a "set up" for $5. (a set up is a glass of ice). I consider that a "dry state". At least too dry for me.

yes it does depend on the level of wetness one is used to!

Poi Dog
08-05-2008, 06:07 PM
WOW... how did I miss this thread?! LOL

Jeez - I might be considered an "Outlaw" if I were to stay for any length of time in SLC! BWAHAHAHAH!

Nurdaben
08-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Well i know chilis serves beer. but i take it no one knows of any uke shops out here? gonna have a couple hours tomorrow wanted to go find my new fav uke i cant have =P

upskydowncloud
08-05-2008, 11:32 PM
Well i know chilis serves beer. but i take it no one knows of any uke shops out here? gonna have a couple hours tomorrow wanted to go find my new fav uke i cant have =P

This might be too late, I know this place sell some ukes including Kiwaya.

Acoustic Music
857 East 400 S.
Salt Lake City, UT 84102

Oh and I found mention of this law about ukulele's check out this page:

http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/SaltLakeCityAreaUT/articles/SaltLakeCityUtahVacationTourismandTravelInformatio n.cfm

salukulady
08-06-2008, 03:21 AM
Well, there it is in black and white.....no unwrapped ukes.....I would really like to find out the history of this law......

upskydowncloud
08-06-2008, 03:44 AM
Well, there it is in black and white.....no unwrapped ukes.....I would really like to find out the history of this law......

I imagine it's linked to the sort of merry drunken fun that the Mormon's often try to prevent. I can't see any other reason for it. It's probably one of those old laws that sounded like a good idea at the time but has no relevance today. Like in the town where I went to university where it's illegal for a student to cross the road without wearing a red cloak. Or the 2nd ammendment, which I believe has something to do with bear's arms.

Nurdaben
08-07-2008, 12:34 PM
thx for the shop and yeah too late i am back, but ill be going there again. I did stumble upon another music store in orem (south of slc) they carried like 15-20 ukes. it was odd cuz they were below another music store (had to go in another music store and go down their stairs)

I think someone needs to call up the Salt Lake City Visitors Information and ask them about that law

NotoriousMOK
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM

I'd seen numerous sites like the one linked above, mentioning this -- I'd like to see if this law (assuming it really exists) is truly still on the books.

I imagine it's linked to the sort of merry drunken fun that the Mormon's often try to prevent. I can't see any other reason for it. It's probably one of those old laws that sounded like a good idea at the time but has no relevance today. (. . . ) Or the 2nd ammendment, which I believe has something to do with bear's arms.
gggrrrrrrrrr . . . . .

mjarmstrong726
09-25-2008, 05:19 PM
I'm going to byu in the summer, I'm definitely putting this law to the test. I also probobly still won't have a case so I'll have to anyways. Apparently byu has an uke club so I'll make sure to tell you guys when we are having a mass protest to try and change the law.

ukemike
09-26-2008, 03:51 AM
I challenge anyone to find the regulation or law. For your convenience here is a link to the Salt Lake City Municipal Code (http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/UT/Salt%20Lake%20City/index.htm).

There are laws against non-permitted display of art or performances in certain locations including sidewalks, but it says nothing about carrying a musical instrument. There are also noise ordinances like in most any other city.

salukulady
09-26-2008, 04:08 AM
I challenge anyone to find the regulation or law. For your convenience here is a link to the Salt Lake City Municipal Code (http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/UT/Salt%20Lake%20City/index.htm).

There are laws against non-permitted display of art or performances in certain locations including sidewalks, but it says nothing about carrying a musical instrument. There are also noise ordinances like in most any other city.and we all know how noisey a uke can be.......perhaps it is one of those ancient laws that they no longer have on the books and is just a humorous tidbit the tourism dept. likes to promote.......

HaileISela
09-26-2008, 05:27 AM
as far as I know there are a lot of those funny laws still in some US cities... but that one with the uke is the funniest^^ and how they mention it in their informations^^ it's like they are proud of that...

Ukulele JJ
09-26-2008, 06:23 AM
I challenge anyone to find the regulation or law.

I sure haven't been able to find anything. I even looked at the Utah state laws too. I looked for laws about guitars. Laws about musical instruments in general. Laws about things being "unwrapped". Nothing.

I asked a friend of mine (who is both a professional researcher and a Mormon) to look into if if she ever has the time. I'll let you guys know if she comes up with anything.

But so far? Smells like an urban legend to me.

JJ

Mikasai
01-04-2009, 04:43 PM
I could not agree with you more Salukulady! I try to stay out of Utah all together. They are wacky there, and it goes way beyond the anti-uke ordinance. It would be totally cool to have a ukulele jam in the Tabernacle lawn on a Sunday and see what happens...Mormons don't really have a sense of humor though I'm afraid.

Just had come across this post - Relax with the Mormon stuffs - I one Mormon with sense of humor. Been to Utah, and have ohana in Utah. Utah get choke Poly's all kine, we cook out, kanikapila, all kine. Dis one Mormon on Kauai. My Sole and Tongan friends all play by Temple Square on the streets to perform. Try make sure you not going offend anyone next time you post.

bnicholas26
08-06-2009, 05:49 AM
ok, get this,....it is illegal in Salt Lake City,Utah to carry an unwrapped ukulele in public! however, sex with an animal is only a misdemeanor.....it is also illegal to drink beer with your shoelaces untied.

haolejohn
08-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Those crazy morman laws.

dnewton2
08-06-2009, 05:58 AM
This post came at a good time. I am going to be flying in and out of Salt Lake city and maybe satying a night there in a couple weeks. Of course I will have a uke. Guess it will have to stay in its case.

Also good thing my shoes don't have laces.:)

salukulady
08-06-2009, 06:03 AM
..it is also illegal to drink beer with your shoelaces untied.well, that's just a safety issue....where do you think the term "falling down drunk" originated?

Uke Republic
08-06-2009, 06:06 AM
well, that's just a safety issue....where do you think the term "falling down drunk" originated?

Yes!!!!:smileybounce:

UKISOCIETY
08-06-2009, 06:23 AM
ok, get this,....it is illegal in Salt Lake City,Utah to carry an unwrapped ukulele in public! however, sex with an animal is only a misdemeanor.....it is also illegal to drink beer with your shoelaces untied.

What about sex with a ukulele?

08-06-2009, 06:32 AM
This post came at a good time. I am going to be flying in and out of Salt Lake city and maybe satying a night there in a couple weeks. Of course I will have a uke. Guess it will have to stay in its case.

Also good thing my shoes don't have laces.:)

$10 walmart velcros ftw!!!

zombizon
08-06-2009, 06:34 AM

Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the ukulele is "wrapped" eh? eh? :biglaugh:

UKISOCIETY
08-06-2009, 06:38 AM
Shouldn't be a problem, as long as the ukulele is "wrapped" eh? eh? :biglaugh:

And be sure to have your shoes tied!

UkEdman90
08-06-2009, 06:45 AM
last time i visited that place i HATED IT! cops are dicks there... locals were extremely rude to a lost person (me) wont ever go back.... Now i definitely wont!

whats the reasoning behind this?

DeG
08-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Check this out: http://www.idiotlaws.com/
who knows, you make be breaking the law and not knowing it right now!! :D

bbycrts
08-06-2009, 06:57 AM
According to several I'm sure very reputable websites, in Utah:

"A husband is responsible for every criminal act committed by his wife while she is in his presence."

(Hey, I read it on the internet, it must be true)

THEREFORE, Do NOT give your uke to your wife to carry for you...you'll still get in trouble for it!

hoosierhiver
08-06-2009, 07:26 AM
About 150 years ago the Mormons were more feared in some parts than the indians.

vahn
08-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey guys cmon I know a lot of people who are go to the church of jc&lds and using old laws to reflect badly on them is tasteless. There are just as many stupid laws there as anywhere else.

Ukulele JJ
08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Hey guys cmon I know a lot of people who are go to the church of jc&lds and using old laws to reflect badly on them is tasteless. There are just as many stupid laws there as anywhere else.

Not only that, but as often as I've heard (and read about) that SLC ukulele law in various places, I've never seen any evidence that it's true.

So until someone points to an actual statue somewhere, I'm chalking it up to nothing more than a humorous urban legend. I would proudly march my unwrapped ukulele down the (impressively wide) streets of Salt Lake City.

Especially now that they got rid of that goofy "private club" liquor law last month. :cheers:

JJ

smithpaul60
08-06-2009, 07:52 AM

I appreciate that Vahn. I am "mormon". That said, there are stupid mormons out there, but there are also a bunch of other stupid people out there. Also remember that Utah is only 48% mormon, SLC is about 70%. I'm sure there are stupid and rude people in Utah, please don't judge the entire city, state, and church on their actions. Thanks.

Now as to the original post about the "unwrapped" ukulele, I would be interested in the history of that law and why it was ever in practice.

hoosierhiver
08-06-2009, 08:25 AM
I tried to goggle it abit and didn't find anything, but I did find out that,
in Utah:
1) Birds have the right-of-way on highways and
2)It is illegal to fish from horseback.

Ukeffect
08-06-2009, 08:27 AM

NOW THAT's severe UAS!! To which I might add...Eeeeewwwwwww! :eek:

Melissa82
08-06-2009, 08:33 AM
NOW THAT's severe UAS!! To which I might add...Eeeeewwwwwww! :eek:I've actually had to tell someone to take their um... "thing" away from my uke. Apparently some people can't take a joke when I tell them to stick... oh never mind, it was my fault anyways, lol.

Ahnko Honu
08-06-2009, 08:36 AM
I tried to goggle it abit and didn't find anything, but I did find out that,
in Utah:
1) Birds have the right-of-way on highways and
2)It is illegal to fish from horseback.

Thank you, I was planning a horseback fishing trip there but I guess that settles that. :rolleyes:

bbycrts
08-06-2009, 08:42 AM

You're absolutely right, vahn - when I posted my comment, I was meaning it to be an example of silly legislation - not a comment on the Mormon church. Every state has really goofy laws still on the books from a time when they made sense...maybe. This post started off with a silly law about unwrapped ukes in Utah, so I kept the theme going...

Melissa82
08-06-2009, 08:43 AM
In Ottawa, Ontario, you are not allowed to eat ice cream on Sunday while walking down Bank St.

bbycrts
08-06-2009, 09:19 AM
In Ottawa, Ontario, you are not allowed to eat ice cream on Sunday while walking down Bank St.

Those crazy Canucks!

haolejohn
08-06-2009, 09:38 AM
I guess I should apologize for making the first crazy mormon joke. Nothing meant by it. I just know that everywhere has crazy laws. I'm not even going to touch on our crazy laws in the deep south

Harold O.
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I asked a good friend of mine - who happens to be Mormon - about the people of Utah. In California, we're called Californians. Wisconsin is Wisconsinite. New York has New Yorkers.

What, I asked, do they call Utah people. He said "Utards".:eek:

All in good fun, folks.

smithpaul60
08-06-2009, 12:11 PM
as for crazy laws, it is illeagal to fire a missle with out a permit in my state of south carolina. Because you know we all have some extra missles just laying around here.

It is also illeagal to hunt whales in utah, ummm........... no comment

Thanks to all for not taking my reply with the respect it was written with. I love this forum, Uke players have got to be the coolest people on earth.

Ukulele JJ
08-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Here in Tennessee, there's a law explicitly making it legal to take home roadkill and eat it.

This isn't some obscure, still-on-the-books-from-a-hundred-years-ago statute. It was passed only about ten years ago.

JJ

kailua
08-06-2009, 02:10 PM
It is also illeagal to hunt whales in utah, ummm........... no comment
I saw a whale once in the Great Salt Lake. That was after the UFO landed at Bonneyville Salt Flats. Honest.

Here in Tennessee, there's a law explicitly making it legal to take home roadkill and eat it.
I wish Missouri would get with it. Still illegal here.

Uncle-Taco
08-06-2009, 02:21 PM
Also remember that Utah is only 48% mormon, SLC is about 70%. I'm sure there are stupid and rude people in Utah, please don't judge the entire city, state, and church on their actions. Thanks.

Now as to the original post about the "unwrapped" ukulele, I would be interested in the history of that law and why it was ever in practice.

I don't know who did your math but it is WAAAAY off. Utah is down to about 73% overall, Salt Lake City is less than 25%.

Not everybody in Utah (especially Salt Lake) is mormon [...ahem...:rolleyes:]. Their legislative influence is ridiculous, though. For example: The recent baby step toward legalized adulthood (i.e. the end of the private club law) was run past the LDS leadership. (Don't take my word; Google it or look it up in the Salt Lake Tribune.) Our righteouslature is really, really stupid. Separation of church and state? What's that???

So, what prompted the city to pass the naked ukulele law and WHY, IN GOD'S NAME, CAN'T I GET ARRESTED FOR IT??? (I actually informed a cop that I was breaking the law and that he should arrest me, but no. I wasn't handing out condoms, dancing without pasties over my nipples, or otherwise endangering "our" precious and abundant children.)

Perhaps, years ago, someone lost one of his wives to a suave ukulele player. (Totally reasonable, of course.) Perhaps it's the instrument's curves; they are suggestive after all.

Or, perhaps, it's because people like me (transplants to these parts), when in possession of an unsheathed ukulele, are known to (particularly when under the influence of more than one 3.2% beer) sing songs of a morally objectionable nature. This will cause OCOCOPC (our children, our children, our precious children) irreparable damage. The next thing you know, they come to the dinner table wearing their baseball caps backward, high on caffeine, spouting obscenities like "crud" and "flip." That is but one tiny step away from their coming home reeking of beer, tattooed with a couple of things pierced, and getting mail that starts out "Dear fellow Democrat."

:old:No, our laws are not silly. Rather, they are established by our fair and highly representative righteouslators and then vetted by religious bodies--as God intended--in order to protect OCOCOPC. We must keep our strippers' nipples covered, our beer weak, our businesses closed on Sundays, our liquor inaccessible, Nevada on the OTHER side of our border, AND OUR UKULELES SHEATHED, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :mad::old:

smithpaul60
08-06-2009, 02:36 PM
I don't know who did your math but it is WAAAAY off. Utah is down to about 73% overall, Salt Lake City is less than 25%.

my bad, but my point remains, there are stupid people everywhere, even in office.

Ukumelee
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Not only that, but as often as I've heard (and read about) that SLC ukulele law in various places, I've never seen any evidence that it's true.

JJ

Im in Salt Lake City Right now.. i went to a Bees game (Minor League Baseball) last night and there was a homeless man with a guitar with his case open.... i SERIOUSLY doubt that they would outlaw a guitar on the street... and not an uke....

haolejohn
08-06-2009, 02:41 PM

Not everybody in Utah (especially Salt Lake) is mormon [...ahem...:rolleyes:]. Their legislative influence is ridiculous, though. For example: The recent baby step toward legalized adulthood (i.e. the end of the private club law) was run past the LDS leadership. (Don't take my word; Google it or look it up in the Salt Lake Tribune.) Our righteouslature is really, really stupid. Separation of church and state? What's that???

So, what prompted the city to pass the naked ukulele law and WHY, IN GOD'S NAME, CAN'T I GET ARRESTED FOR IT??? (I actually informed a cop that I was breaking the law and that he should arrest me, but no. I wasn't handing out condoms, dancing without pasties over my nipples, or otherwise endangering "our" precious and abundant children.)

Perhaps, years ago, someone lost one of his wives to a suave ukulele player. (Totally reasonable, of course.) Perhaps it's the instrument's curves; they are suggestive after all.

Or, perhaps, it's because people like me (transplants to these parts), when in possession of an unsheathed ukulele, are known to (particularly when under the influence of more than one 3.2% beer) sing songs of a morally objectionable nature. This will cause OCOCOPC (our children, our children, our precious children) irreparable damage. The next thing you know, they come to the dinner table wearing their baseball caps backward, high on caffeine, spouting obscenities like "crud" and "flip." That is but one tiny step away from their coming home reeking of beer, tattooed with a couple of things pierced, and getting mail that starts out "Dear fellow Democrat."

:old:No, our laws are not silly. Rather, they are established by our fair and highly representative righteouslators and then vetted by religious bodies--as God intended--in order to protect OCOCOPC. We must keep our strippers' nipples covered, our beer weak, our businesses closed on Sundays, our liquor inaccessible, Nevada on the OTHER side of our border, AND OUR UKULELES SHEATHED, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. :mad::old:

Only in utah.

Ukumelee
08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
No disrespect uncle taco... but that was a little more than uke talk...

haolejohn
08-06-2009, 02:49 PM
my bad, but my point remains, there are stupid people everywhere, even in office.

I'm one of them except on tuesday and thursday. Then I am smart.

Hosh
08-06-2009, 03:13 PM
I've been to SLC many times on business. Its a hard place to get a decent drink... Aside from micro-brews there are some good ones.

smithpaul60
08-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm one of them except on tuesday and thursday. Then I am smart.

:rotfl:

I'm sure I could be described in a similar fashion. with one exception, i only get one "smart" day

seeso
08-06-2009, 03:43 PM
So how 'bout them BYU Cougars?

nikolo727
08-06-2009, 03:46 PM
hmm. I wouldn't sheath my ukulele anywhere. What are they going to do, arrest me. im sure that would be an excellent case in court. Police officers arrest fat kid because he was playing a ukulele in the park....yeah right.

UKISOCIETY
08-06-2009, 03:46 PM

The Bring 'em Young Cougars?

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/cocktail_cougar.jpg

Uncle-Taco
08-06-2009, 03:47 PM

Well, their uniforms don't say "UU" on them...for starters. :rolleyes:

Melissa82
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/cocktail_cougar.jpgOmg... this women looks like my mom when she was younger, lol.

Rick Turner
08-07-2009, 04:23 AM
They have "Polygamy Porter" http://www.wasatchbeers.com/polygporter.html

The motto is "Why have just one?"

kissing
08-07-2009, 04:47 AM
well being illegal just makes the uke sexier (in Utah)

bnicholas26
08-07-2009, 05:00 AM
i can't believe how many replies this post has gotten, i must have hit a nerve.

clayton56
08-07-2009, 10:57 AM

probably there was a time when people got out of church, bought ice cream, and left a mess on Bank St. for the city to clean up.

Many cities have ordinances against busking, and will take your instrument if they feel like it. Chicago is one. Although I believe now you can buy a license to busk. It's more of a panhandling law than anything against music or noise. Having street musicians everywhere is not considered orderly and proper.

08-07-2009, 11:10 AM

BY-who???? to us old UH guys...

bnicholas26
08-07-2009, 02:22 PM
Still in disbelief as to how much attention this subject got. I almost wish I never posted it, it seems like alot of people on UU are researching this law and commenting rather than practicing. hahaha. but keep the insight coming. I think everybody I respect on UU has commented already!

Uncle-Taco
08-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Tomorrow is the Utah Ukulele Association's second ever monthly jam. It's being held in a <gasp> public library. I hope we all get busted. :cheers:

Kidding aside: This is a nice place to live, but the air quality is bad and some of the mentality that gets turned into laws is really ridiculous.

(...but I really do hope we get busted. :D)

Link
08-13-2009, 02:31 PM
As a non mormon living it Utah, I gotta say it's an amazing place to live. Some of the posts in here are borderline predjudice and nasty generalizations. Booooo.

Uncle-Taco
08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
As a non mormon living it Utah, I gotta say it's an amazing place to live. Some of the posts in here are borderline predjudice and nasty generalizations. Booooo.

:uhoh: :D

Skottoman
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I used to live there. Squatters is a good brewery with "Quality" commercials and beers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFuoVQ4NRMc&feature=PlayList&p=3903B2ED31BF2A50&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

inkandsilver
08-15-2009, 05:13 AM

Seconded...

Uncle-Taco
08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I just had to share. Not trying to stir controversy--this is an okay place to live for the most part, as I've stated--but honestly; where else are you going to see a problem like this (http://www.abc4.com/content/news/top%20stories/story/Only-one-full-service-liquor-license-left/gPfNBVNyPEO6xFsTtocV5Q.cspx?rss=20)?

I especially get a kick out of the third paragraph. It really does come down to that type of situation every time in one form or another because of ancient laws that nobody has bothered to challenge. Ancient laws like, say, no unsheathed ukuleles in public. :D

If the restaurant does get their license, the next thing you know there will be people running in and out of there with naked ukes and all heck will break loose. :old:

Won't somebody please think of the children!?

janeray1940
10-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Another thread prompted me to dig this one up, which predates my membership here. As a librarian, I actually researched the "unwrapped ukulele" law, and I spoke with several law librarians at the various universities in Utah and not one of them could find an actual reference to it. One sent me the history of SLC's Municipal Code, which if I remember correctly has a reference to musical instruments in general (as in loud noises disturbing the peace) but not a single mention of the uke. So, as delightful as it may be to poke fun at this silly law, it doesn't appear that it ever actually existed.

cletus
10-04-2014, 10:38 AM
I wonder if there were ukuleles here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iosepa,_Utah

sam13
10-04-2014, 03:59 PM
Another thread prompted me to dig this one up, which predates my membership here. As a librarian, I actually researched the "unwrapped ukulele" law, and I spoke with several law librarians at the various universities in Utah and not one of them could find an actual reference to it. One sent me the history of SLC's Municipal Code, which if I remember correctly has a reference to musical instruments in general (as in loud noises disturbing the peace) but not a single mention of the uke. So, as delightful as it may be to poke fun at this silly law, it doesn't appear that it ever actually existed.

And that my friends, is the rest of the story ... nice work Janeray1940.

Melissa82
10-04-2014, 05:34 PM
Omg, this lady looks like a younger version of my mom.

http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/cocktail_cougar.jpg

Rllink
10-05-2014, 04:48 AM
The total extent of my Salt Lake City experience is that I was going through there on my way back to Iowa from the Burning Man 2010. We stopped out at the Great Salt Lake to check it out, not that impressive, and we then drove on into town. It was early, but we decided to stay and check it out, so we pulled into the KOA campground. It was a really nice campground and it was pretty close to downtown. It was also full of Burners, so that was fun too. We unloaded the bicycles and took off exploring. The biggest thing I remember is that it was the most bicycle friendly town I've ever ridden in. People driving cars gave us plenty of room when they passed, they gave us the right-of-way at almost every intersection, and there were lots of racks to lock up the bikes. We also got a pretty good steak dinner. OK, what does that have to do with ukuleles? Nothing.

stevepetergal
10-05-2014, 12:05 PM
From everything I've read/heard, they're anti-everything.

coolkayaker1
10-05-2014, 12:08 PM

Particularly salt. They appear to boycott it at every opportunity.

Nickie
10-05-2014, 03:19 PM
I just cancelled my trip to Utah....

IamNoMan
10-05-2014, 03:41 PM
... It is also illeagal to hunt whales in utah, ummm........... no comment
There are no whales in the Great Salt Lake. There used to be but Early LDS leadership imported sharks, They were carried in the "famous" water wagons. The sharks eradicated the whales... This is from a humorous story by the late great Bruce "Utah" Phillips. Bruce was banned from Utah in the early 60's because he was a Wobbly, (IWW union member and organizer), and too liberal for the times. He quickly adopted Utah Phillips as his stage name in response. In an earlier generation Joe Hill, another Wobbly union organizer, was tried and convicted and executed by firing squad on what were generally considered trumped up charges, but really because he was a Union organizer. I am a IWW member. I have visited Utah but was not banned or executed. I've been shunned in PA where I live, on similarly spurious grounds. The IWW Little Red Song Book was published from 1909 to 1973. Is ensconced in the pocket of my Uke bag. It has great songs emminently suited for beginner Uke players. Wikipedia has a link on how to get a copy of the 1923 edition. If you are going to SLC to test or protest take a copy along.

You would probably be escorted out of the LDS compound on a Sunday at the very least. THe Mormons take their Sunday observances very seriously and no non LDS person is allowed in the Tabernacle. The Mormon Tabernacle Music Hall is a different matter and a wonder to behold. Probably still get in trouble if you try to play there though.

So it is rumored (usually claimed as a fact) throughout the internet that a law exists in Salt Lake City, Utah which 'prohibits carrying of an unwrapped ukulele on the street' -- some sources further specify that this law only applies on Sunday.

I took a quickie search through the city's website, and even found a search tool for their city codes/ordinances, but was unable to locate this 'law'. What laws are available online, however, appear to brief and/or incomplete.

I'm curious if any of our members are in a position to attempt to verify this in person -- any volunteers???

For those Doubting Thomas' out there the correct topic to Google is "Utah Blue Laws" 4,220,000 results in .34 seconds. One hit in particular caught my eye:

Crazy Laws - Stupid Laws (http://Crazy Laws - Stupid Laws)
stupid-laws.laws.com › Find Laws › Stupid Laws (http://stupid-laws.laws.com › Find Laws › Stupid Laws)
Crazy Laws - In America and abroad many laws exist within state and national ... In Salt Lake County Utah it is illegal to carry a violin in a paper bag. In Florida it ...

Now if NotoriusMOK wasn't just having us on in the first place, I would say the above stated article is probably the source of what I consider to be an urban legend. Did you hear this tale from a friend of a friend? That would clinch it.

As much fun as this thread is I have concerns:
I think the Blue Laws are ignorant not stupid. Similarly terms like "stupid" and "no sense of humor", etc applied to any group constitute Hurtful Speach. This is beneath the dignity of the UU Community.

Ukejenny
10-06-2014, 05:25 AM

So, to spin that in a positive direction, they are pro-antieverything?

ricdoug
10-06-2014, 05:41 AM
http://www.saltartists.com/who-has-a-law-of-an-unwrapped-ukulele-on-the-street/

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=860&dat=19760503&id=3EJPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=b48DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3154,1752410

http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/SaltLakeCityAreaUT/articles/SaltLakeCityUtahVacationTourismandTravelInformatio n.html

Rllink
10-06-2014, 06:15 AM
http://www.saltartists.com/who-has-a-law-of-an-unwrapped-ukulele-on-the-street/

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=860&dat=19760503&id=3EJPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=b48DAAAAIBAJ&pg=3154,1752410

http://www.vacationsmadeeasy.com/SaltLakeCityAreaUT/articles/SaltLakeCityUtahVacationTourismandTravelInformatio n.html

I think this is all a lot of fun, but unless someone can cite the code where this law resides, I'm just not going to believe it. Now, could it have one time existed, sure. But just because it is perpetuated on the internet, it does not make it true. Code please. Give me a code, so that I can look it up and read the ordinance myself.

hoosierhiver
10-06-2014, 06:23 AM
As much fun as this thread is I have concerns:
I think the Blue Laws are ignorant not stupid. Similarly terms like "stupid" and "no sense of humor", etc applied to any group constitute Hurtful Speach. This is beneath the dignity of the UU Community.

I agree and I appreciate the reminder.
An attempt at humor online can be taken the wrong way, always good to keep that in mind.

cdkrugjr
10-06-2014, 06:53 AM

There are laws against non-permitted display of art or performances in certain locations including sidewalks, but it says nothing about carrying a musical instrument. There are also noise ordinances like in most any other city.

Bah! Interrupting our fun with pesky facts!

ricdoug
10-06-2014, 07:30 AM
No music after 9PM?

9.28.040: NOISES PROHIBITED:

2. Radios, Television Sets, Musical Instruments And Similar Devices:

a. Using, operating or permitting the use or operation of any radio receiving set, musical instrument, television, phonograph, drum or other machine or device for the production or reproduction of sound, except as provided for in subsection B3 of this section, in such a manner as to violate section 9.28.060 of this chapter, or its successor section, or cause a noise disturbance,

b. The operating of any such device between the hours of nine o'clock (9:00) P.M. and seven o'clock (7:00) A.M. the following day or, between the hours of nine o'clock (9:00) P.M. and nine o'clock (9:00) A.M. when the following day is a Sunday or legal holiday, in such a manner as to be plainly audible at the property boundary of the source or plainly audible at fifty feet (50') (15 m) from such device when operated within a vehicle parked on a public right of way;

sukie
10-06-2014, 07:37 AM
So, to spin that in a positive direction, they are pro-antieverything?

Thanks! I feared this going nowhere but down.

Rllink
10-06-2014, 08:15 AM
No music after 9PM?

a. Using, operating or permitting the use or operation of any radio receiving set, musical instrument, television, phonograph, drum or other machine or device for the production or reproduction of sound, except as provided for in subsection B3 of this section, in such a manner as to violate section 9.28.060 of this chapter, or its successor section, or cause a noise disturbance,

b. The operating of any such device between the hours of nine o'clock (9:00) P.M. and seven o'clock (7:00) A.M. the following day or, between the hours of nine o'clock (9:00) P.M. and nine o'clock (9:00) A.M. when the following day is a Sunday or legal holiday, in such a manner as to be plainly audible at the property boundary of the source or plainly audible at fifty feet (50') (15 m) from such device when operated within a vehicle parked on a public right of way; Is that SLC? That isn't a ukulele ordinance, it is a noise ordinance. A lot of cities have noise ordinances.

mds725
10-06-2014, 09:01 AM

This thread was reinvigorated by another thread in which the OP was complaining that UU posts were anti-Mormon. Whatever the merits of that claim (the OP eventually posted links to two threads that were ostensibly anti-Mormon, although the mention of Mormons in those threads was sort of benign), I really hope people don't use this thread to demonstrate that the OP of that other thread had a valid point.

Xtradust
10-06-2014, 12:20 PM
I like Mormons that play ukulele better than I like Mormons that don't. It's just how I was brought up.

Wait! They don't tune ADF#B do they?! I don't know I could get past that! lol

Luke El U
10-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I really hope people don't use this thread to demonstrate that the OP of that other thread had a valid point.

Too late. The damage has been done already. Even an atheist like me can see it's been thinly veiled in this thread. Shouldn't we drop it?

ricdoug
10-06-2014, 12:54 PM
Is that SLC? That isn't a ukulele ordinance, it is a noise ordinance. A lot of cities have noise ordinances.

Yes, I searched MUSIC on the link you provided and it came up as the second choice on the left. Ric

ricdoug
10-06-2014, 01:06 PM
This thread was reinvigorated by another thread in which the OP was complaining that UU posts were anti-Mormon. Whatever the merits of that claim (the OP eventually posted links to two threads that were ostensibly anti-Mormon, although the mention of Mormons in those threads was sort of benign), I really hope people don't use this thread to demonstrate that the OP of that other thread had a valid point.

I'm just having fun researching the OP's post. Utah has a very large Polynesian community (I know many, personally) and the 'ukulele is alive and well, there. It would be interesting, to me, to see some other similar laws and their origin. Ric

IamNoMan
10-06-2014, 02:14 PM
No music after 9PM?

b. The operating of any such device between the hours of nine o'clock (9:00) P.M. and seven o'clock (7:00) A.M. the following day or, between the hours of nine o'clock (9:00) P.M. and nine o'clock (9:00) A.M. when the following day is a Sunday or legal holiday, in such a manner as to be plainly audible at the property boundary of the source or plainly audible at fifty feet (50') (15 m) from such device when operated within a vehicle parked on a public right of way;

That's odd there's an ordinance that prohibits dancing after 2AM. Who plays for the dance between 9 and 2?

Jim Yates
10-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Wicked
10-07-2014, 03:50 AM
Blue laws? You ain't seen nothin' until you take a look at Massachusetts. Everybody thinks this place is a bastion of progressive thought... but we still have laws on the books regarding witchcraft.

Massachusetts... still rockin' it like it's 1692, baby!

Ukejungle
10-07-2014, 04:59 AM
In Louisiana it is unlawful to carry an unwrapped alligator on Sunday too.

:)

IamNoMan
10-07-2014, 05:08 AM
Pennsylvania is another Blue Law state still in the seventeenth century. In PA any activity in a bedroom that generates enough energy to move the surface in a glass of water is immoral and illegal. I guess its OK do do it in public though.:p

mds725
10-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Blue laws? You ain't seen nothin' until you take a look at Massachusetts. Everybody thinks this place is a bastion of progressive thought... but we still have laws on the books regarding witchcraft.

Massachusetts... still rockin' it like it's 1692, baby!

One of the Blue Laws in Massachusetts was that businesses could not be open on Sundays. My dad, who owned a neighborhood clothing store, liked this law because it meant he didn't feel pressure to work on Sundays. During the Dukakis administration, this law was suspended between Thanksgiving and Christmas to give people extra days for holiday shopping. The suspension of the no-Sunday business Blue Law had two negative consequences for small businesses like my dad's: (1) They had to be open on Sundays to compete with stores that were, and (2) stores being open on Sundays made it easier for more people to do their holiday shopping at malls, meaning that fewer people shopped at neighborhood businesses during the holiday season. When people realized that nobody was being smited as a result of businesses being open on Sundays, the suspension of the no Sunday business Blue Law was expanded to the entire year.

Wicked
10-07-2014, 11:33 AM
One of the Blue Laws in Massachusetts was that businesses could not be open on Sundays. My dad, who owned a neighborhood clothing store, liked this law because it meant he didn't feel pressure to work on Sundays. During the Dukakis administration, this law was suspended between Thanksgiving and Christmas to give people extra days for holiday shopping. The suspension of the no-Sunday business Blue Law had two negative consequences for small businesses like my dad's: (1) They had to be open on Sundays to compete with stores that were, and (2) stores being open on Sundays made it easier for more people to do their holiday shopping at malls, meaning that fewer people shopped at neighborhood businesses during the holiday season. When people realized that nobody was being smited as a result of businesses being open on Sundays, the suspension of the no Sunday business Blue Law was expanded to the entire year.

If he had owned a liquor store, he could still take Sunday off. (in most counties.)

Larry D.
10-08-2014, 01:10 PM
In Waynesboro, Virginia it is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.
(Now that is trust).

This one is straight out of Waynesboro, Virginia. It seems that some of the men in town got tired of the female inability to operate a motor vehicle (something that's a generally known fact), and decided that if they couldn't prohibit women from driving a car, the least they could do is warn everyone that they were coming; presumably to give them a chance to get out of the way, lest they be killed or maimed. How thoughtful.

mds725
10-08-2014, 01:18 PM
Sorry, but "the female inability to operate a motor vehicle" is not only NOT "a generally known fact," it's not a fact at all.

Larry D.
10-08-2014, 01:26 PM
Sorry, but "the female inability to operate a motor vehicle" is not only NOT "a generally known fact," it's not a fact at all.
I agree that is why we do not live in VA.
My wife drives fast and I am afraid I would not keep pace very long in front of her Porsche and could only guess where that red flag would wind up:rolleyes:

Cornfield
10-09-2014, 02:00 AM
This thread needs to be closed.

KoaDependent
10-09-2014, 02:18 AM
By what standard, John?

IamNoMan
10-09-2014, 02:39 AM
Isn't strange that that the Three states formed as Commonwealths: MA, PA, VA all have so many archaic Blue Laws.

I agree that is why we do not live in VA....

I totally agree; but how are we ever going to get rid of the Glass Ceiling for women phenomena?

@ Larry D. That's a sad commentary. All three of the Blue law Commonwealth states as well as Utah, (if you can deal with the climate), are wonderful places to live. If you live in a place like this you can work to change these egregious problems.

Wicked
10-09-2014, 04:03 AM
Isn't strange that that the Three states formed as Commonwealths: MA, PA, VA all have so many archaic Blue Laws.

Quite a bit of legal detritus can collect when the books start in the 1620's. Most laws remain because it is just too time consuming and expensive to remove them. It is far easier to just ignore them.

Tudorp
10-09-2014, 04:11 AM
funny you can legally open carry a firearm in Utah, but ya better not open carry a Uke.. ;)

Kanaka916
10-09-2014, 04:11 AM
I think this thread has run it's course and straying away from the topic of ukulele. :(