$5.00 Martin

oldrookie

Reaction score
Thought you might like to see this. A friend was telling me about a uke he bought about 10 years ago at a garage sale. $5.00.

Had it sitting above his fireplace for about 8 years. No date on it that I can see. Stamped on the inside with the Martin name.

Any ideas as to how old, etc.?

DSC_0551.jpg

DSC_0550.jpg

DSC_0547.jpg

With the decal on the headstock, it's later than (I believe) 1932. It's hard to narrow it down more than that without seeing what the tuners look like. Nice score for your friend! I'd also like to see if it's a Style 0 or a Style 1. Does it have tortoise binding on the body and 2 dots at the 7th fret? If so, it's a Style 1. If no body binding and only 1 dot on the 7th fret, it's a Style 0. Either way, at $5, well... just "Wow".

Can help a bit...shots were a bit out of focus, so I didn't include them in the first go round.

DSC_0546.jpg

DSC_0548.jpg

Ok, it's a Style 0 with the same tuners that my '50s Style 1 has. I would say it's somewhere between the late '40s and mid '60s, but it's kind of hard to narrow it down much more than that. It looks like it's in great shape. Does your friend play it at all?

Nope. Doesn't play a lick.

I tried to give it a go this afternoon, but no tuner available.

He did finally buy a case for it and get it out of the family room (three rambunctious kids) after he was told it was worth "several hundred dollars."

It really is in excellent shape (at least on cursory glance...I was running late and only had a few minutes with it.)

I'll probably get a chance to play it again later and I'll take my tuner with me.

Nope. Doesn't play a lick.

I tried to give it a go this afternoon, but no tuner available.

He did finally buy a case for it and get it out of the family room (three rambunctious kids) after he was told it was worth "several hundred dollars."

It really is in excellent shape (at least on cursory glance...I was running late and only had a few minutes with it.)

I'll probably get a chance to play it again later and I'll take my tuner with me.

I told this story in a thread a couple of months ago, but I have an acquaintance in town who also doesn't play ukulele at all. He has a '40s Martin Style 3 that he found in an attic. Gah!!! It tortures me to know that it is just hanging on his living room wall. I made him a decent offer, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to sell it. He assured me that if he decided to sell, I would get first crack at it. I'm letting it ferment in his mind a bit.

Aw shucks....I would too....thanks for the update, keep me updated if he changes his mind...
would like any gentle persuation be accepted and work....like christmas money!!! he he only kidding...

One might say that you're addicted........

But it such a crime it doesn't get played.....what good is it if it just hangs there. That's so wrong. I don't care how beautiful or expensive an instrument is, if it's not played it's not being properly loved.

I've never had the chance to play a martin uke, but I do say I quite like their look.
I had an out of town friend trust me to bring her 1930's Martin home with me so I could take it to a luthier I know to be restored. I played it afterwards for a few day before I returned it. It played like buttah.

But it such a crime it doesn't get played.....what good is it if it just hangs there. That's so wrong. I don't care how beautiful or expensive an instrument is, if it's not played it's not being properly loved.

Agreed, so OP needs to tell their friend to start learning or their Martin might go "missing"

I'll take mine next time I go over and show his son (12-years old) a few chords. He seemed pretty interested in it. He's also far more likely to take care of the uke than most 20 year-olds. He survived brain cancer at 6 years of age and grew up far more quickly than most kids.

I'll take mine next time I go over and show his son (12-years old) a few chords. He seemed pretty interested in it. He's also far more likely to take care of the uke than most 20 year-olds. He survived brain cancer at 6 years of age and grew up far more quickly than most kids.
Perfect .

Aloha Old Rookie,
I'd say that's an awesome idea,,,,taking yhour uke over to his kid and motivate and inspire him to play....maybe one day that uke will sound like butta in his hands...hopefully.....Cool idea man!!!
Let me say, if you find the right Martins, they sound like no other....it's small and light..with a sweet voice....that cannot be beat.....MM Stan..
and Salukulady.....it must have been fun and sweet playing that Martin...betcha you had your finga's so tight holding on to it while giving it back....I sure would!! he he...

Top Bottom