Trombone mouthpieces?

ukebeatsguitar

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn a Glenn Miller trombone piece, but if you know who Glenn Miller is, you'll know that he plays REALLY high. So, I was wondering if there's a mouthpiece out there that would help me get really high notes. The song goes up to a B natural above middle C. Ya know, something like a peashooter is for a trumpet. I use a Bach 12c right now, which is really small for a trombone mouthpiece in the first place. All your help would be appreciated.

I see there are not too many trombonist uke players....well I play trumpet and used to play in a 14 piece jazz band so there are lots of high screamers needed there. I have 2 mouthpieces I use. My standard all round best for me is a Jet Tone Severensen model but when I need the high register I have a shallow cup Giardinelli. It seems to me that the shallower the cup the easier it is in the higher register (sucks on the low stuff though). If you have to use two mouthpieces you should try to get the two with very similar rims so as not to mess up your embouchure. Apparently there are mouthpieces that have removable rims so that you can just replace the cup but the rim remains the same. Good luck!

Semi retired trombonist here. A 12c is a rather small and shallow mouthpiece so hitting a B above middle C shouldn't be a problem with it. I would suggest long tones and lip flexibility/range exercises to increase your range. Also you are breathing from your diaphram correctly right? Air support has alot to do with range and durability. I think jet tone does have an Urbie Green model that might help in that area but really with practice a high be shouldn't be a problem with a 12c.

Not sure if you have a local music shop, but the best thing would be to take your horn there and ask to play a few different size mouth pieces and to help get the idea of what is the right size for you. Student horns get 12C mouth pieces for a reason... because they are easy to learn on for 12 year old mouths. When you get past 16 or 17, your probably got bigger "features" than you did 4 or 5 years ago. So, you need something bigger to give your lips room to work. I went up to a 5G in high school and later to a 6 1/2AL after college. While I did this primarily to extend my range down, it also brought my control in high registers in check.

Generally, the things to look for when testing for mouth piece size is going to be comfort and tone. You want to be relaxed when you play the different ones. Being relaxed will help you find the best compromise between tone and comfort.

After you get your new mouth piece, practice a lot with it. It will take time to form the proper embouchure on a new mouth piece.

~DB

It depends on how old you are and how mature your embouchure. Joe Alessi plays a 1A and easily reaches the Bolero Db. Then again, he plays about 8 hours a day. There is no magic solution. It takes time and LOTS of practice. I play an Edwards 396A [large bore tenor] and use a Griego 3C. I can reach B natural as easily with it as with a Bach 61/2AL. It isn't all about the mouthpiece. It just takes practice and good breath control. Keep working steadily and you will get it.

Top Bottom