I've organised a set in a pub!

raecarter

Reaction score
I asked one of my work colleagues if he could asked his local pub landlord if i could play one day in his pub and he agreed! I think my youtube has been shown around the pub in the past so they are aware of what i like to play. My dilemma is should I learn some older classic songs so i can appeal to more people in a gig environment as generally I play recent music and obscure songs that i like but aren't popular? Your advice would be great thanks

depends...is it like a sunday afternoon session or a friday night?...what kinda crowd will be in there at the time you play? The answer to that question might inform your choice of songs....

My first instinct is to suggest you play a mixture of songs that best highlight (1) your uke playing skills, but (2) and even more importantl: your singing voice...if there's some that do both, put em in for sure..but a live set in a pub, it's gonna be your voice that carries you through Rae...from my own experience playing originals and lots of "obscure" covers an ideal pub set has a mixture...but you realistically should have at least 3 well known songs spread in there for each 45 minute set...also try and be nice and relaxed and animated, lots of energy, and chat to the punters...people will feel more relaxed and get into what you're doing if you're relaxed yourself!!!

Have a ball mate. Sending you the warmest vibes and every success with it. Let us know how it goes for you. eugene

Aloha Rae,
I know a Pub my friend frequents and some nights,,, and it's mostly all beatles stuff.....and the patrons go crazzzy for them....MM Stan..
Good standby stuff, I guess.... age group to consider too...
Bruddah Eugene has alot of good pointers...to steer you in the right direction!!

Last edited:
Thank you both for your reply the date isn't arranged he just said I could play there. I guess I better think of some classics david bowie beatles etc just to get them on my side. I'm well aware i'm a bit dreary on my videos on youtube but i think that's because i'm talking to a camera lol i'm actually quite lively in real life. Thanks again

We do sets most weekends, and the consensus seems to be that a good mix is appreciated. We will throw in some obscure stuff, but to keep the crowd happy, you need some crowd pleasers. Even better if you can get them singing along!

Good luck with it.

For inspiration, some of my gig reports are here with some songs listed - they all go down pretty well - http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/search/label/gig report

I think you win them over with a few favourites, play one that works on the ukulele but shouldn't (AC/DC or Green Day or such like) to impress them, play an original, a real favourite, then an obscure one. Rinse and repeat. You need to get them tuned in so that when you play your own stuff, they don't tune out.

UNLESS, it's the sort of pub space where you have a fairly captive audience. If they're sitting pointed at you and are genuinely paying attention, then increase the originals a fair bit.

Over the years, at pubs and cafes, I've done what I thought were cracking sets to six people's backs, and played so-so sets to dozens of people who were hugely enthusiastic. Gigging at those sorts of places is a funny thing. Captive audiences are great because they want to like you. Normal pub audiences are great, because when they love you, you've earned it.

My two p.

Top Bottom