Natural Woods

Tikas

Reaction score
Hello!
I live near a very thick forest area, with many different types of tree (the owner of the forest collected trees in Victorian times) and have noticed that there is alot of off-cuts lately from where the tree has been pruned by foresters, if I wanted to use this wood for making Ukes, what do I do? do I just begin cutting it to size? or....?

Hello!
I live near a very thick forest area, with many different types of tree (the owner of the forest collected trees in Victorian times) and have noticed that there is alot of off-cuts lately from where the tree has been pruned by foresters, if I wanted to use this wood for making Ukes, what do I do? do I just begin cutting it to size? or....?

Well, it has to be a pretty good-sized limb even to make sopranos...

But if you think you've got something there, you can liberate it with a good chain-saw.
Then re-saw it with a bandsaw when you get the billets home....

If the wood is from former limbs I would avoid it. It will turn into a potato chip when it dries and will go wonky when you rip it. Straight sections of main trunk are what you're after. Google "Quartersawn Lumber". That's how you want to slice it into boards if you can. It'll need to dry. I stack, sticker, cover and ratchet strap my lumber for my furniture work for 1 year/inch of thickness before putting it into my shed:
IMG_01393.jpg

You'll also need to worry about bugs. Powder Post Beetles can ruin everything.

So...yeah, worse case you have firewood.

I would be suspect of any wood over the longterm coming from a limb. It's gonna move around. If you have to try it please use a bandsaw...asking for a kickback on a tablesaw. If I knew you better I'd let you feel the knot in my left groin area. It is a result of trying to rip a board from a limb ~15 years ago on a tablesaw...with a splitter. Stresswood is evil I tell ya.

thank you for all your advice.
@ Michael Smith
In the forest there are all sorts of trees, its almost a case of you name the tree, there is one there... bar some rare trees, or ones that have to grow in hot climates (I live in great Britain) the woman that owned the property was a collector of trees...... if you have to collect something, why not trees? hehe.

I will go for a wander this week and see what is left, and if there is anything worth using.
Thanks again!
Tikas

My uncle's neighbor collected trees. He planted one of every tree that is indigenous to Indiana. When he sold the house the new owner cut them down.

I really like the look of knees, elbows and crotches(from tree's of course) for the bodies on my electrics.

Last edited:
Top Bottom