binding alternatives for a newbie's 1st project

gcameron

Reaction score
I have only recently begun playing but decided to start a project to rehab an old red soprano I've had since I was 5. So far I've stripped the entire instrument with success, scrapped away manufacturers glue marks, sanded to a 220 and stained the fretboard ebony with a Minwax Pen.

Are there effective ways to get a binding look without actually binding? I am hoping to stain the body, then Tru-oil the body and neck, and then paint on black gloss binding over that, Would this work?

Thanks - Graig

You could use a sharp knife to score the outline of a "binding" around the top and back. Then stain the instrument, the scored lines will prevent the stain from migrating into the binding areas. The "bindings" could be left the natural color of the wood, or stained a different color. I've used this techinque to do "inlays" on a top and it worked well. You do not need to score very deep.

Brad

Thanks for that. I see how that could work.

I am thinking still of painting a black binding on and then tru-oiling over it all. I bought some test wood to test the entire process from sanding to completion. I wonder if the paint will bleed after the oil...

Top Bottom