PDA

View Full Version : Tuning Low G

sweukulele
11-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Hello! im Buying a new ukulele, and im getting a low G string on it, and i have no idea how to tune it? i know how to tune for GCEA but not the a low G,
And how do you type low G? is it G#?
Thanks!

SailingUke
11-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Low G is one octave below the high G. On the piano it is the G below middle C (which is the C on your GCEA ukulele).
Your chord shapes are all the same. G is G no matter what octave.

lindydanny
11-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I guess I would have to know a little more about how you tune re-entrant to answer your question. There is some basic fundamental stuff here and I want to make sure I do it justice for you. Hopefully, though, Sailing's description will work. But if not, give us some info on how you do it now and we'll do our best to help you figure it out.

~DB

sweukulele
11-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Since im so new to music its quite hard to understand Sailings answer :P can you use the guitar for help maybe to tune it?

lindydanny
11-02-2010, 03:29 AM
Okay, I think I get it now.

First, some basics on music. I'm sure you are aware that a low tone and a high tone are different. Well, let's look at them on a scale (we'll use C because it's the easiest):

Low High
C D E F G A B C

The low C and the high C are the same note, only one is higher than the other. That space between them is called an interval. This particular one is called an octave. The space between any two of the same notes (i.e.: low C to high C, low D to high D, low E to high E) is called an octave. There are other intervals as well such as the one between C and E or F and G, but we won't go there quite yet...

Now, your question on tuning:

The low G on a ukulele is an octave lower than the G on re-entrant tuning. They are the same note, only the low G is that octave lower. That is the only difference. Sharps and flats are a different part of music.

I'm assuming you are using either a pitch pipe or a tuner to tune your uke now. What you can do is to tune the C (3rd string) the same as you have always done. Then, you can use it as a reference for the G string.

Two more intervals to learn: Fourths and Thirds.

A fourth is the fourth note in a scale. For the C scale above, that would be an F. Thirds would be the third note (E). On the ukulele, a third would be four frets and a fourth would be five. This can be confusing, but bare with me.

Back to that C string as a reference. The C is the fourth note in the G major scale. So, if we fret five frets above the nut on that low G string then we should be playing a C, or the same note as the C string.

If you've followed this far, here is your home work:
Ukulele's are tuned in fourths and a third like this: G (fourth) C (third) E (fourth) A. So, from low G, we go a fourth up (five frets) and get the C. On the C we go a third up (four frets) and get the E. On the E string we go a fourth up (five frets) and get an A.

I know there is a lot of theory there, so if it blows you away, I understand. Music theory is hard. It's even harder when I can't just play it for you and show you. If you have more questions, feel free to ask. There are a lot of smart players here!

~DB

sweukulele
11-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Im sorry, apparantly i didnt read carefully enough at your first post lindydanny, I tune with the
http://www.get-tuned.com/ukulele_tuner.php
Or i do like this, to tune A i press down fret2 G string and im sure you know the rest. So either its with the online ukulele tuner or i do the way i explained last.
Im doing my best to understand what you wrote, so you will have to hold on before i can tell you that i understood it :P Its quite hard since its english AND words i dont even understand in my own language :P But i am learning.
I am using this
http://www.musictheory.net/lessons
Which helps me understand what you wrote, Im doing my best to understand and i will respond soon when i need backup :P
Thank you so much for putting so much effort in helping me!

SailingUke
11-02-2010, 09:46 AM
You should really make a trip into a music store, I am sure they can help.

lindydanny
11-02-2010, 12:44 PM
That particular tuner isn't going to give you the pitch you need. Unfortunately. The best bet is to try and tune it to the C (fret the 5 fret on the low G string and make it sound like the C).

~DB

sweukulele
11-03-2010, 05:57 AM
The closest music store knows nothing about ukuleles unfortunately, but maybe they dont have to, to tune the low G.
Ok thank you for the tip Danny! i will try that as soon as my ukulele comes home to papa!