My Latest Hand-Painted Uke

musiccityuker

Reaction score
I have been hand painting ukuleles the past several months. I enjoy the process of painting ukes almost as much as playing. The best part... I donate 100% of the profits of each sale to The Bridges of Williamson County... an EXCELLENT center for battered and abused women here in Middle Tennessee. The art is mediocre but they sell anyway because people know where the money is going. A pretty great arrangement for all involved. Ukes are a powerful tool for good! They make people happy! LOL Aloha all y'all!

http://www.timross.com/site_pages/uke_stuff_pages/blue_meanies.html

Attachments

• blue_meanies_front.jpg
    blue_meanies_front.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Hi Bruce... Plain old acrylics... right out of the tube! The trick to make it stick is using an undercoat of what's called... "bonding primer." Make sure it is truly "BONDING" primer... they sell it at all paint and hardware stores. It goes on very smooth and, if you want the surface even smoother, can be easily sanded totally snooth when it dries. It dries quickly. It's great stuff because it will adhere to any uke finish.... satin, high gloss... doesn't matter. And once on there nothing could take it off! Acrylics stick to it very well... and stay put! I use a high gloss water based "Minwax" finish... also available at Home Depot, Lowe's etc. It's in the sky blue can. One can will do a LOT of ukes! Hope this helps.

Looks way cool, but is it still playable with decent sound?

Aloha Musicityuker,
I use to enjoy painting as well, but my health has detoriated now...I think it's awesome man!!!!I see you're using waves from japanese tatoo and the rising sun background....As for the back ground I used
to spray paint it and used pin striping tape to do the curves and masking for the rest....that way I had different tones of color for depth...and just used the acrylics for the main figure...clear coat after...
BTW...Nice Avatar for Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head....and I like your thoughts on donateing to the battered and abused womens shelters.....Mahalo for sharing.....Stan....

Hi Cletus..... Sound is muted somewhat. That's why I use the Samick Ukes. They're inexpensive but have a ton of volume... even after painting. I always throw on a new set of Aquila strings... they have a lot of zing and zip and that helps too. And... I do these for charity so the people that buy them may never play them. But... it's all about the money for the charity. It's been a successful venture... I'm enjoying the process and the charity needs help. Thanks much for your feedback... and painting ideas.
Looks way cool, but is it still playable with decent sound?

Top Bottom