Bubblegum Drop strum

Chap

Reaction score
Hi all!

My uke class this week was learning something our teacher called the "Bubblegum Drop" strum. Now, since I can seem to find anything by that name out there, I'm assuming it's probably named differently by different people.

This is a Down with the index finger, followed by the thumb on the same strum...keeping them apart, so you're getting two distinct strums from the same wrist action.

This is followed by a normal Up Down.

But, this is the part I was a bit confused on, it was right at the end of the class, she was indicating that after the first time you do the strum pattern, you should add in a quick up before the intial down. Does that make sense?

So it would be Down (with thumb follow, Up, Down...(quick Up) Down (with thumb follow), Up, Down...repeat

My basic question is, does that make sense? Did I hear her right? I'm getting the strum down, except for that quick up bit I can't seem to wrap my head or fingers around.

Hey Chap,

This sounds like a triplet. Do a search on YouTube for "ukulele triplet" and there will be a ton of demos for you to check out. This was one of the arsonal of elaborate strumming techniques that George Formby worked into his performances along with the Split Stroke, the Shake, the thumb roll, and the fan stroke.

Mike

Top Bottom