Uke Comparison

AnnaUK

Reaction score
I've "accidentally" acquired two more ukes recently. Ooops.

I thought people might be mildly interested to hear the differences between the different woods used:

1) Solid mango soprano built by Joe Spraggan
2) Vintage koa Kamaka soprano
3) Makapili concert pineapple (all solid hinoki top and acacia back and sides) built by Thomas Macomson

I don't think any one is better than the other - they all sound different which is great.

No more ukes for me this year. I've slightly over done it(!) :uhoh:

That was super cool! I also liked the ending with all three ukes together! However, it is great to hear a comparison the way you did it. So easy to hear the differences!

That was great. I loved how you weaved them all together. What are you using for your editing software and recording equipment?

What strings are you using on each one? –Lori

Hey Lori, I'm using Aquilas on all three. After much experimentation with lots of strings, I think I like these the best.

What are you using for your editing software and recording equipment?

Hello Ronnie, I use a Blue Snowball USB mic into Audacity and then mix the video in Sony Vegas 9 (I'm on a PC). Vegas can be a bit annoying at times, but it more or less does what I ask it to without too much complaint. The camera is a little Sony Bloggie.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone, it's much appreciated :)

(And yes, Alan, I'm afraid I've got bad UAS so I'm making a pact - no more new ukes for a year. Let's see if I manage it...)

Awesome job Anna...I think of all of them I liked the Mango best...I have a white label Kamaka too so that one sounded nice and familiar...lovely and warm...was really surprised by the third one...it almost sounded more like a traditional soprano than the two sopranos...and I agree with everyone else Anna, your playing was lovely. Thanks so much for sharing!

Aloha Anna,
Thanks for the comparison, they all had their own distinctive sound...of course it's hard for you to choose between your three babies..
I understand.....So I'll do it for you....I liked the Makapili Pineapple the best for sound and looks...and it was close between the Kamaka
and the Spraggan. I chose the spraggan for second... I believe they will keep you occupied for the rest of the year!!!!What's in store
fro next year???? he he Have fun and Enjoy!!! "Keep strumming them strings" Mahalo for sharing and the video..MM Stan...

Very good video, well done Anna great way to do a comparison, but a bad way off making me want another Uke!!! The tune sounded really nice, what was the name of it of was it one of you originals?

Nice comparison and nice playing. By chance are you playing "las mañanitas". I would almost bet money thats what you are playing. :D

Top Bottom