Digital tuners?

georgio

Reaction score
As I await the arrival of my first Ukulele, my thoughts lean towards tuning. For my guitars I have several digital tuners. A Snark, a PT-10, A Boss TU-12 and an Intellitouch 500 (or 5000 whateva:)
My noob question is... Will they all work for the Uke? Is 440 standard Uke too? I saw some dedicated Uke tuners and I wonder how they differ from mine?

Thank you 0 wise and knowledgeable ones!

As I await the arrival of my first Ukulele, my thoughts lean towards tuning. For my guitars I have several digital tuners. A Snark, a PT-10, A Boss TU-12 and an Intellitouch 500 (or 5000 whateva:)
My noob question is... Will they all work for the Uke? Is 440 standard Uke too? I saw some dedicated Uke tuners and I wonder how they differ from mine?

Thank you 0 wise and knowledgeable ones!

I dont know about your tuners, however would imagine they work. I love my Kala clip on tuner, it has ukulele C, ukulele D and chromatic modes. I also use it in chromatic mode to tune my boys guitars and my daughters violin...

All guitar tuners will work on ukuleles.

hi georgio

yep your guitar tuners will work with the uke...but for convenience, I recommend going with what fitncrafty just siad...for less than $30 you can get a longlasting and incredibly reliable digital tuner (open C tuning, D tuning and chromatic)that you can clip onto the headstock of your uke, and is unaffected by surround noise...sooooo handy....I only just got one like a week ago after battling with pitchpipes for nearly 5 years mate!!! It's a revolution!!! A number of brands around...Kala etc...the one I got is really tiny Aroma AT-300U...awesome!!!

Hey, I have a Boss TU-12, too! It's been going strong for like 20 years now.

Any tuner will work just fine in chromatic mode. Dedicated uke tuners are like dedicated guitar tuners. My ET-3000 clip tuner has modes for chromatic, guitar, bass or violin but all I ever use is chromatic.

All guitar tuners will work on ukuleles.
As long as they are chromatic. I still have a really old, one of the first electronic tunners where you actually set the tuner for each string.
You are limited to EADGBE, won't work with a uke. So as long as you are not an old antique like me (and my tuner) you should be ok.

As long as they are chromatic. I still have a really old, one of the first electronic tunners where you actually set the tuner for each string.
You are limited to EADGBE, won't work with a uke. So as long as you are not an old antique like me (and my tuner) you should be ok.
I have a set of tuning forks....ha ha ha

Yup they all work, but like anything else it's personal preferences and features...also user friendly..I like digital chromatic clip on...mine is a cherub WST 550C....

I bought my TU-12 around 1982. Nothing else I bought in '82 lasted this long! Talk about getting your moneys worth :)

Thank you all for the insight! Chromatic it is.

The tuners should work without any problems. If I had to choose from what you posted, I would go with the intellitouch. They've given me the best results for string instruments.

As for the "440" question, that is the standard musical pitch to which all western concert music is tuned. By extension, this includes most guitars. Basically, this is like standard pressure, it just makes it easier for people to get in tune by standardizing the pitches. The owner of one of our local brass instrument shops is an expert (IMO) on the development of this and can tell you lots about it. Basically, all I know is that most brass and reed instruments are setup for this tuning and you actually have to have instruments setup a special way (in the case of ukes/guitars, this would mean fret spacings) in order to be properly tuned in anything other than A-440.

~DB

I bought my TU-12 around 1982. Nothing else I bought in '82 lasted this long! Talk about getting your moneys worth :)
Yeah, seriously. Although the vinyl flipstand/case it came in is now held together with tape. :D

I have only had it a few days, but I love my Kala KC02 clip-on tuner.

If you have a smart phone you can download a tuner app from the internet. Just google electronic tuner app. Some are free and some cost just a few dollars. Then you will never be without a tuner.

Top Bottom