New Kala Reds

Uke Republic

Reaction score
New package and now- Kala Red single filament strings use special nylon compound and are engineered with specific densities, gauges and tensions to produce full-bodied (sexy)tone and clarity of sound. Made in Argentina where the Flamenco is played.
Still nice and red and would look extra awesome on a Mainland Chili pepper or an Ohana colored uke SK-15 or against spruce. Will they look great on anything really!

Exciting! I really like the look of the reds. I've only tinkered with them a little, but they were cool. I agree they would look great on spruce.

How do they sound? Can you compare them to any other strings so I can get an idea? Thanks!

Hey Mike...mmm...:drool:...might need some on da reggae gecko methinks...

How do they sound? Can you compare them to any other strings so I can get an idea? Thanks!

I only played them on a real cheap uke that didn't have the best sound to begin with, so I can't really comment on the sound. They felt really interesting though. The wound strings would squeal if you ran your fingers down them, but I still liked the feel.

I really like the feel of the old Kala Reds, but the word on the street was that they wear out quickly. What about these? Mike, set me aside a set of these for the Chili uke.

Eugene, the only hesitation I have for putting them on the reggae is that while the red and green colors on that uke look great, they are not terribly vibrant shades, not as intense as on the Kala Reggae. Probably it would look cool, but I wonder if the red of the strings might make the red of the body look dull. Black strings might be a better fit, maybe Fremont Blacklines.

I really like the feel of the old Kala Reds, but the word on the street was that they wear out quickly. What about these? Mike, set me aside a set of these for the Chili uke.

Eugene, the only hesitation I have for putting them on the reggae is that while the red and green colors on that uke look great, they are not terribly vibrant shades, not as intense as on the Kala Reggae. Probably it would look cool, but I wonder if the red of the strings might make the red of the body look dull. Black strings might be a better fit, maybe Fremont Blacklines.

They should last a good long time since they are all Nylon. The other reds are cool too and are made by Labella here in USA. Not sure if they will be discontinued.

Top Bottom