Luthier Grade Quartersawn Mahogany? Help

agilitydog

Reaction score
Bought this mahogany, sold as quartersawn, from Ebay, (from a "LuthierSupply Company"). I've been told now by a local luthier and a cabinet maker friend that it didn't look quartersawn to them. For my own newbie education (not for a refund on Ebay), would you folks take a look? Thanks

Wow, that piece was certainly misrepresented. For our purposes I like to stay within 20 degrees of 90. The wood you have there is definitely rift sawn. I'm a little surprised the seller didn't show a picture of the end grain as they normally do.

Good topic which I hope gets more conversation. Looks to me that about half of that stick might be close to what the loosest definition of quarter sawn, which I wouldn't use for a one piece neck, a heel block or a top... lots of lining material there though. I like to do skunk stripes anyway though, I think they look cool. Gotta watch for the end grain on ebay, I got burned a few times when I first started building and I've got some nasty looking cherry and just almost quarter sawn padauk that'll probably make it into a solid body electric.

On closer inspection I'd say that the whole board you have is rift as Chuck already said.

Last edited:
I've bought several billets off eBay over the past few months. Many wood suppliers don't show pix of end grain in the listing, so you have to ask for the photo. Many also don't disclose moisture content. eBay is like the wild, wild west: there's gold in them thar hills, but never a lawman around when you need him.

Bad luck - happens to me all the tme and then... surprise, surprise you get lucky. Japanese consider quarter to go to 45 degees... for me, Chuck's definition is right. Call them out on it and get some of your money back. If it comes from a 'Luthier's Supply' they have no excuse for getting this one wrong.

Thanks for the quick feedback. Additional info: seller is LuthierSupplyCompany. Mahogany listed as 20 year old wood used by Martin on neck repair. Not seeing the end grain I specifically asked the seller if it was quartersawn and told told yes. In questioning the seller after receiving the wood he referred me (honestly) to the wikipedia definition of quartersawn. That one took my breathe away. I sent him some resources and offered to send him the pictures of the wood he sent. He responded that he was "just a college student" and had bought the pieces from Les Paul guitars and he did not have the resources to consult any luthiers about the wood. I told him that money was not the issue for me as much as knowing who I could trust as a professional. He did offer a partial rebate and I told him that he should decide what was fair and I would accept that since his final candor (LuthierSupply certified by wikipedia) was what I really wanted.

Ah yes, Mr LuthierSuppyCompany, I remember him well. I bought a bundle of engelmann spruce brace wood from him that was about 50% usable. He's been doing this long enough that he should know better. I see he's got some high dollar rosewood sets for sale...

On the upside, I now have some nifty engelmann spruce go bars that only snap once in a while, along with tons of miniature engelmann spruce corner molding.

Last edited:
I use 18mm birch ply cut into 12mm thickness for go bars - works a treat and no snapping :) And yes, tak as much money fromhim as you can since he is trying to gouge you (I think this is the US term for 'swindle' no?)

And 45 degrees in Japan is 45 degrees - not my definition :)

it may very well be quartersawn since that term can refer to the process rather than the product. Quarter sawing lumber nets varying degrees of grain oriented to the face of the lumber. "Vertical Grain" is a more accurate term for what your referring to and it is "not" vertical grain, but slash or rift.

I understand the process/product distinction. Now the function problem becomes the range of vertical that qualifies (and can be quantified) for the strength and stability factors historically attributed to quartersawn. What a circle. I still like the distinction.

I'd slice off a couple of boards and build a uke with it..and see what it sounds and plays like;)
"The proof of the pudding" and all that;)

I understand the process/product distinction. Now the function problem becomes the range of vertical that qualifies (and can be quantified) for the strength and stability factors historically attributed to quartersawn. What a circle. I still like the distinction.

Good instruments have been built using lesser quality boards. All this analysis and introspection really sucks the fun out of ukulele building.

Good instruments have been built using lesser quality boards. All this analysis and introspection really sucks the fun out of ukulele building.:

I once worked for a company that made a guitar out of a palate. when it was all said and done, people loved it, and we decided to make a run of 10. it was the hardest search for crappy lumber that I ever undertook. I spent many a dark night behind Home Depot rummaging thru their stacks of palates trying to find the right combination of wide planks and oak runners.

in the final "analysis", flat sawn wood with nail holes filled with epoxy and aluminum dowel and cracks as long as your arm...they were fine.

I once worked for a company that made a guitar out of a palate. when it was all said and done, people loved it, and we decided to make a run of 10. it was the hardest search for crappy lumber that I ever undertook. I spent many a dark night behind Home Depot rummaging thru their stacks of palates trying to find the right combination of wide planks and oak runners.

in the final "analysis", flat sawn wood with nail holes filled with epoxy and aluminum dowel and cracks as long as your arm...they were fine.
Aluminium dowels ???..I wondered about that when I examined one..I thought "how did they manage to plane down the wood with the nails still in it"
I'm thinking of making a Pallet uke myself.
palletguitardetail.jpg

Last edited:
Point of clarification: the seller I dealt with was "Luthiersupplycompany". There is another seller, currently selling some very expensive Brazilian Rosewood, "Luthierwoodsupply", that I have had no dealings with. I believe someone may have of obliquely referred to the latter and I wanted to make certain not to confuse the two sellers. Perhaps a senior member could start a open list of good Ebay experiences (sellers) and the others.

Addendum:On the flip side, mzuch's mention of Ebay being the "wild west" with "gold out there" has also been my experience.

Last edited:
Continuing this side dicussion, Liutaio Mottola has an interesting discussion of flat/quartersawn research or lack thereof: http://www.liutaiomottola.com/myth.htm. But the primary is that I've gotten great feedback on was whether the wood description (quartersawn) fit the wood received. Can't beat this one down any further. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom