Ukulele Orchestra in NY Times

Thanks for sharing, would be nice if they had a video of that.....looked like a fun time!!!!

I can't wait to see them next March. They are coming to Orange County and Jake will be on the bill too! Wa-hoo!

–Lori

I can't wait to see them next March. They are coming to Orange County and Jake will be on the bill too! Wa-hoo!

–Lori

I've already bought my tickets. :) As for the NY Times article, it was great to see the UOGB get such a high profile shout-out, but is Julia Nunes really the only contemporary ukulele player the article's author could think of to demonstrate the current wave of ukulele enthusiasm?

...is Julia Nunes really the only contemporary ukulele player the article's author could think of to demonstrate the current wave of ukulele enthusiasm?
Yeah, I thought that, too. A bit of lazy journalism there. A couple more clicks on the google hits should have turned up a few, one would think.

"Hmmm, let's see... popular ukulele players... Julia Nunes. Yeah, I think Larry King had her on... And who's this little kid playing 'I'm Yours?' OK. I'll go with Julia. Good enough."

:nana:

hi ukecan'tdothat

great article on the UOGB...they're just unbelievable...funny, quirky, incredible arrangements and so inspiring

Unfortunately they've not ventured down to Australia yet so I have to make do with my couple of DVD's until they do... :)

Cheers!

I have tickets for March, too , should be a lot of fun

I lived in London for a semester in 2002. This was before I played much uke. I saw their listing in the paper and went about a half hour out of London to the Rose and Crown pub for a show. I was hooked and I went to another four or five concerts while I was there. They were a definite influence towards me playing more seriously. I made it back once to the UK in 2004, but I hadn't seen them in six years. I couldn't get tickets for the NYC show since they sold out in August, but I went to Carnegie Hall early anyways. I found someone with a spare (Thanks Steve) and actually made it in. It was a great concert as always, a lot of new material for me. But I really enjoyed saying hello to the band after the show. Will remembered the musical straws that I would make and play after the shows. And George, always interested in whatever musical endeavors people share with him, was writing down contacts in his little memo book and taking photos of the audience. I hope it's not another six years before I see them again.

Thats a really cool picture:) I think its fun to see ukes getting attention like that.

Top Bottom