Cannot get this thing tuned.

dugbrandon

Reaction score
My GF just returned from Hawaii and brought home a leolani as a gift. For the past couple of days I have tried and retried and looked at countless websites trying to figure out why it just doesn't sound right. I tried using my guitar tuner and it isn't helping. I'm sure much of the problem is that I am tone deaf. I am thinking about picking up a new tuner tonight hoping that my current tuner is junk. Any other help?

My GF just returned from Hawaii and brought home a leolani as a gift. For the past couple of days I have tried and retried and looked at countless websites trying to figure out why it just doesn't sound right. I tried using my guitar tuner and it isn't helping. I'm sure much of the problem is that I am tone deaf. I am thinking about picking up a new tuner tonight hoping that my current tuner is junk. Any other help?
Aloha Brandon,
Get a Digital chromatic clip on tumer ...Mine is a Cherub WST550C it's awesome....
google it...online about $15.00 fast and accurate.... I have a Leolani Tenor and they
all sound really good as friends and realitives have them....If you need help,jus ask!!
MM Stan..

You might have string(s) which are faulty. Try getting a new set. Also try to figure out if it is just one string which is a problem, there can be a variety of issues, then let us know what you have found out and we may be able to give some more constuctive advice.

There are small screws on the back of friction tuning pegs (and behind gears in open geared tuners) that you may need to tighten a bit. Friction tuners are especially prone to slippage and they may not have been properly tighteneed when installed. Just do it a little at a time.

If you have friction tuners, maybe they need to be tightened up a bit. Are the strings original? If so, put a set of aquila strings on.

Okay. I went and got a chromatic tuner last night. I started tuning and it just didn't sound right. I got angry and tuned it an octave too high. I knew the strings were getting way too tight and I was afraid I was going to pop one. Finally one did pop. I went out today to get a new set of strings and just had the guy at the shop tune it for me. I should probably change the rest of the strings rather than playing one nylon and 3 crappy black plastic strings. They were all out of aquila strings...

Anyhow, it sounds better now, not great, but then again I've got to stretch them out yet.

Okay. I went and got a chromatic tuner last night. I started tuning and it just didn't sound right. I got angry and tuned it an octave too high. I knew the strings were getting way too tight and I was afraid I was going to pop one. Finally one did pop. I went out today to get a new set of strings and just had the guy at the shop tune it for me. I should probably change the rest of the strings rather than playing one nylon and 3 crappy black plastic strings. They were all out of aquila strings...

Anyhow, it sounds better now, not great, but then again I've got to stretch them out yet.

You should have gotten a digital one....what brand did you get??all tuners are not the same...and you need to know how to use them..
many times beginners try to over tighten them by going over a whole note ...next time bring your uke down to the store and let them show you
how to tune your ukulele with that specific tuner..when purchasing..

Last edited:
You should have gotten a digital one....what brand did you get??all tuners are not the same...and you need to know how to use them..
many times beginners try to over tighten them by going over a whole note ...next time bring your uke down to the store and let them show you
how to tune your ukulele with that specific tuner..when purchasing..

I did buy a digital one. Now that it is where it should be (other than the strings still stretching out) I am just fine and having fun playing around. thanks for you help stan.

The other possibility is that the intonation on it is just bad.

My first uke was a Leolani which I got at regular music store after strumming every one in the place. It was Ok for a starter, but not great as an instrument. I got it for around a hundred bucks with the gig bag. It was the cheapest functional uke they had in the place. Even so, it would frequently just sound "off" when I played on it.

As I recall Leolani also makes tourist grade type "instruments" that are mostly dust collectors and available all over the place. They're in bright colors and some have little painted turtles on them or something like that. "I Heart Hawaii" and such. There may be some gems amongst them, but they're not really functional as precise musical instruments. By the nature of what it is, it may just always be like that.
(Though there are some who have taken a lot of time and care setting up ukes like that to make them functional.)

Top Bottom