Guitar Buying Tip?

Kanin

Reaction score
Last edited:
The first question to ask yourself is : Do you really want to learn, If so and you plan on sticking with it try maybe a little better quality instrument, If you are just starting to learn then this will be fine, But If you are serious I would go for something a little more expensive. Send me a pm anytime if you have any questions.

I really do plan on learning. I found another $200 value pack, but no PU. I don't care about that now. It is the Fender DG-8S. It has a solid spruce top!

I agree with chrishelms94. In general, a "better" instrument, whatever that means to you, will sound nicer and be easier to play. Buying your first instrument is always a balancing act between "how much do I want to spend for an experiment that may or may not last?" and "what instrument will inspire me to keep playing?" Many cheap guitars will drive you nuts and inspire you only to upgrade quickly or simply give up.

And keep in mind that if you have the coin, higher-grade instruments will almost always retain their value better if you do decide to sell.

If you opt for the "value pack," I would suggest asking if you can pop it open and try the guitar out before you buy. Cheaper guitars (yes, even Fenders) are notorious for poor quality control, and value pack guitars are often boxed for a reason. Just my HO.

I agree with chrishelms94. In general, a "better" instrument, whatever that means to you, will sound nicer and be easier to play. Buying your first instrument is always a balancing act between "how much do I want to spend for an experiment that may or may not last?" and "what instrument will inspire me to keep playing?" Many cheap guitars will drive you nuts and inspire you only to upgrade quickly or simply give up.

And keep in mind that if you have the coin, higher-grade instruments will almost always retain their value better if you do decide to sell.

If you opt for the "value pack," I would suggest asking if you can pop it open and try the guitar out before you buy. Cheaper guitars (yes, even Fenders) are notorious for poor quality control, and value pack guitars are often boxed for a reason. Just my HO.
At Sam Ash, they have it on display! :D No need for opening boxes. I also heard many good feedback from it. The GC website has more than 50 5 star reviews of the DG-8S.

These guitars are generally very poor quality and the comments above are dead on about ease of playing. it will be harder to learn on a guitar like this. Buy a decent used guitar in the same price range. If you want great suggestions - go to acousticguitarforum.com and post the question there.

These guitars are generally very poor quality and the comments above are dead on about ease of playing. it will be harder to learn on a guitar like this. Buy a decent used guitar in the same price range. If you want great suggestions - go to acousticguitarforum.com and post the question there.
What do you think of that Epiphone that I just put? It looks really nice. I have also heard good feedback from it.

Yamaha FG-700S is a great solid top beginner guitar. Generally they come with a good setup on them straight from the factory. Street price is $199, but sometimes on sale they can be had for as little as $149. It's a fav on most non cork sniffin guitar forums. Shop around. Used is good too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom