WTB: Inexpensive soprano

haolejohn

Reaction score
Hey all. I am currently in the market for a soprano (maybe spruce top) that I can use this winter for java jams. My current uke inventory is all koa and all solid, which aren't the best for cold weather playing. I do not own a car and every two weeks, I must make a 70 mile round trip to java jams on the motorcycle. I am looking for a cheap but better than a dolphin soprano I can pick up fairly inexpensive. I'm wanting to get used. I could go to UkeRepublic and pick a new one up but before i do that I thought I'd see what was out there. I do own two dolphins (currently on loan) and a mainland red cedar concert )on loan as well) so price is kinda important to me. What ya got to move?

If you go to ukulele underground uke shop, go to kamoa ukuleles and check out the black ones. Lifetime warrenty, not to expensive, and durable. Pineapple is the best priced. Good Luck!

If you go to ukulele underground uke shop, go to kamoa ukuleles and check out the black ones. Lifetime warrenty, not to expensive, and durable. Pineapple is the best priced. Good Luck!

Yeah but then I have to pay for shipping. I live 10 miles from UkeRepublic. If i went with a dealer it'd be Mike b/c I wouldn't have to pay shipping and he is a friend of mine. Actually, I will more than likely go with Mike anyways but you never know. The kamoa's are nice but I want something a little cheaper like a kala or ohana something that is used and holds a tune.

Consider a Makai, the thrifty soul's Ohana.
Also, while it's not spruce top, those Mahalo camp ukes have a solid top and Amazon has them all in the $50ish range with free shipping. They have a slightly different voice.

Not a soprano, but this one of mine never sold. I think it's a terrific beater, and it's definitely played in.

Not a soprano, but this one of mine never sold. I think it's a terrific beater, and it's definitely played in.

I'll check it out when I get home. IT is a laminate right? $70 shipped is a sweet price. Little more than I'd like to spend but it is a concert. I ahve a mainland as well but it is solid and cold and solid wood just don't mix well.

It is indeed a laminate, so more weather hardy.
I just fished up my old thread for this one of mine that didn't sell when I attempted to thin the herd to make room for more this past summer. Not superior to your out-on-loan dolphins but accessibly priced, played in, and a good brand of strings (though low g).

Also, while it's not spruce top, those Mahalo camp ukes have a solid top and Amazon has them all in the $50ish range with free shipping. They have a slightly different voice.

I do like the makais as well. I really want to go used to save a little but I ahve all these new ones on my radar as well. I ahve been talking to Mike about getting a cold weatehr uke. If I hadn't loaned out all my dolphins, I'd be fine but this is just another reason to feed UAS which has been surprisingly dormat in my life:)

I do like the makais as well. I really want to go used to save a little but I ahve all these new ones on my radar as well. I ahve been talking to Mike about getting a cold weatehr uke. If I hadn't loaned out all my dolphins, I'd be fine but this is just another reason to feed UAS which has been surprisingly dormat in my life:)

Just picked up 2 concert makalas for friends. $50 each (shipping was free cuz I got over $100). Cecilias music. http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=makala+concert

Sopranos are $39 http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/product_p/mk-s.htm

They have pineapple sopranos coming in in Dec. I would have gone for one of those if they had been available.

I prefer to buy from musicguymic but he was only selling the makalas with a case and it brought it up to about $80 each. Their friends, but not that good a friends ;-)

So some setup work was in order and a set of aquila strings. Overall they are pretty good. I have bought 4 of these makala laminates for friends so far.

The Mahalo camp ukes (sunburst, and red cedar) both have solid spruce tops. They do have a different voice. Definitely not a traditional sound...but they're cute, cheap, and have a strap peg that's not mentioned in the description.

Sounds like a good opportunity to grab one of the new mainland gecko/ chili ukes. I believe they are spruce tops. Or maybe you can find a used Kala travel soprano. Easy to carry on your bike, spruce top. You may wish to switch out the tuners to friction for better balance. Good luck.

Sounds like a good opportunity to grab one of the new mainland gecko/ chili ukes. I believe they are spruce tops. Or maybe you can find a used Kala travel soprano. Easy to carry on your bike, spruce top. You may wish to switch out the tuners to friction for better balance. Good luck.

The mainland chilis are a little bit out of my price range. I actually want geared tuners b/c I experienced my friction tuners needing to be tightened after a cold bike ride.

I wouod be interested in a used kala travel uke (sopraon type). Heck I could just ask Mike to bring an extra uke to Java Jam:)

Top Bottom