Stagg Disappointment! :(

kissing

Reaction score
So I just got my new Stagg strat uke today.
But unfortunately it really disappointed me. I'm pretty sure it has to be a faulty product, since I've been hearing a lot of praise about them by others.

First of all, the pickups terrible.
I get a loud feedback hum that's louder than the tone. BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Makes it completely impractical for any plugging in. I tried multiple cables, and other instruments into the same amp to rule out it being cable or amp problem.

Secondly, the E string buzzes on fret, especially first and second fret :(

Thirdly, the action is freaken high >_< It's playable, but it could be lower... by a lot..

Fourthly, the E string is a lot more silent than the other strings through the pickup. I get a loud G C and A... and a hardly audible E.

Interestingly enough, the sound through the headphones is very clean (despite E string being quiet). So perhaps the problem lies in with the bigger output jack.

I ordered it from USA (To Australia), and I guess since it's brand new I could get a replacement if I send it back. But sending it back means shipping expenses and lots of time lost. And furthermore, foolishly the first thing I did when I got it out of the box is put a custom decal on it that I've been waiting to put on it before I tried the uke >_<
So I really like how it looks and feel reluctant having to let it go... with the decal on it (will post photo later).

I've emailed the seller (nice people though, p-hill/Butler music) awaiting their solution.

I'm kinda hoping that pickup problems like this and fret buzz can simply be repaired. But repair costs money, so I'm hoping a partial refund could be granted to cover that cost. I really don't wanna have to ship it back and wait again!

That said, the Stagg clearly is a disappointment for me compared to Eleuke and Risa.
Even if there wasn't a pickup problem, the setup is poorer, and the general overall feels cheaper and a bit flimsy (For other Stagg owners, is the neck supposed to be wobbly loose when you take the strings off?). Looks cute though.. :)

Aloha Kissing,
Maybe the problem lies within output plug and or cable plug the has improper fitting or contact, making the buzzing from improper grounding....MM Stan..

New instruments have to be properly set up. The majority have really high action and need to be taken down to be made playable. I would take it to your local music shop and let them look at it. If the pickup is really shot have the company send you a new one and install it yourself the holes are already there so it wont be too hard.

Thanks guys.

Here's a pic:
konatauke.jpg

If only it played as well as I like it looks.

I took it to the music store.
Strange thing happened. I think perhaps my Stagg just doesn't like my Roland Microcube.
When they plugged it into an acoustic amp at the store, there was no buzzing feedback.

Nevertheless, I'm getting them to fix it up for me. Might cost me a bit, but hopefully by the time they're done it would be a better instrument.

Besides, shipping it back for replacement/warranty would cost just as much (+ more time).
If the pickup is shot, I'll try contacting Stagg.

But strangely, I wonder why I get buzz on my Microcube. My other ukes don't buzz on it.
Yet, when they plugged my Stagg into a different amp at the store, it was crystal clear -_-

Last edited:
Great looking uke Kissing. Love the graphic. Hope you find a solution. With the looks of it alone I'd hate to send it back!

Well, we can all take a lesson from this...TEST before you personalize.

Good luck. I'm sure it will all work out. I love the neck on those things.

That particular amp is actully designed for magnetic pickups so it may not behave itself with a high output pizo. Turn the volume on the uke down half way same with the High and Low tone controls, you want to start your your tone shaping from the middle.

Well, we can all take a lesson from this...TEST before you personalize.
So true!!

That particular amp is actully designed for magnetic pickups so it may not behave itself with a high output pizo. Turn the volume on the uke down half way same with the High and Low tone controls, you want to start your your tone shaping from the middle.
You are right. However, I've tried many other piezo pickup ukes through the same amp with no big issues.
Perhaps piezo pickups differ so that some work fine through magnetic-pickup-designed amps, while others don't?

I've also read here on UU about stereo vs mono cables causing problems. Check that, too.
In my knowledge, generally Mono jacks should be problem free. All the cables I've tried are Mono.
I'll see if stereo does anything... should stereo do anything? I don't know.

You are right. However, I've tried many other piezo pickup ukes through the same amp with no big issues.
Perhaps piezo pickups differ so that some work fine through magnetic-pickup-designed amps, while others don't?

Some pizos have a really high out put.

When I touch the cable jack with my finger while its plugged in, the noise goes away.
Why is this so?

Its funny, I had the exact same issue with a Godin acoustic/electric bass with a similar setup. Have you tried turning down the volume an the tone controls to half way?

Yeh, I fiddled around with the tone/volume.

I have it in the repair shop. Hopefully I'll be able to figure something out after they fix it up.
I might take my amp into store next time and show them.

Would an external pre-amp do something?

I have the Les Paul version of this uke. No buzzing associated with it at all. I'd say it is a ground issue with the output jack.

Neck should not be loose. There really isn't enough string tension to make a lot of difference on the stability of the neck.

Thanks!

If I tell the repair guys it could be a ground issue (and show them what the problem is), would it be something they could fix easily?

probably, plug it into a few amps at the store until it makes the same noise.

Top Bottom