PDA

View Full Version : Ukulele pick-up lines that don't work

Jake_Loew
11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I played an open mic recently. Most of the performers played guitars, but I was packin' my ukulele as usual. I played a fine set just as the night was starting to heat up, and the girl who was up after me-who was pretty cute-also happened to be playing a ukulele!

After her set she said to me, "hey, you were way better than me." To which I replied, "no sweat, you're way hotter than me." (and she was)

Need less to say, our conversation ended shortly after. What's a better ukulele pick-up line I could use next time I find myself in a situation like this?

UncleElvis
11-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I played an open mic recently. Most of the performers played guitars, but I was packin' my ukulele as usual. I played a fine set just as the night was starting to heat up, and the girl who was up after me-who was pretty cute-also happened to be playing a ukulele!

After her set she said to me, "hey, you were way better than me." To which I replied, "no sweat, you're way hotter than me." (and she was)

Need less to say, our conversation ended shortly after. What's a better ukulele pick-up line I could use next time I find myself in a situation like this?

Key #1: Don't use pickup lines. You're a rock star. Be one.

austin1
11-04-2010, 06:44 PM
Don't see what her issue is, that's a good line, I probably would have laughed.

Dane
11-04-2010, 06:46 PM
no sweat, uke are way hotter than me

mm stan
11-04-2010, 10:49 PM
Key #1: Don't use pickup lines. You're a rock star. Be one.

Yup I agree, bad bad bad....first words out of your mouth at first meeting....HMMM
makes an impression like, hey ukulele rock star...are you an ukulele player or
a playa.....a simple thanks I like your playing too....would have been more appropiate.
and less of a turn off....you gotta remember, rock stars got a bad reputation.....

Michael_
11-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Dude are you blind? She brought the pickup line, up to you to play along. "hey, you were way better than me." - "you know it's not about been better or worse than the others, it's about enjoying what we're doing. Why not perform a song together?" And then you invite her to your place for the rehearsal.

SuzukHammer
11-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Just say, " I was inspired" and smile then.. you have to compliment her.

and then you say things like "What do you think of the concept of "Uke Can Change the World?"

Chap
11-05-2010, 03:09 AM
Dude are you blind? She brought the pickup line, up to you to play along. "hey, you were way better than me." - "you know it's not about been better or worse than the others, it's about enjoying what we're doing. Why not perform a song together?" And then you invite her to your place for the rehearsal.

This....except make sure to wait till a bit later in the conversation to ask her to your place. :)

Hippie Dribble
11-05-2010, 03:18 AM

hey brother Jake

my suggestion is you could have said almost anything other than what you DID say and it would have been a whole lot better...some women would find that line of yours pretty offensive methinks...just something simple and nice to get a conversation started...that line was just a dead end street brother....why can't people just 'talk' to each other anymore...sorry, I'm a wet blanket...must be getting old...guess I better put the ol' slippers and smokin' jacket on and make a nice cup of tea...

Tudorp
11-05-2010, 03:35 AM
Sometimes saying what you think, and brutal honesty from the start is not a good thing, hahhah..

But maybe something like "Let's jam sometimes and trade Uke secrets..." or maybe even "I have a solid wood..." ehheh.. Maybe not so much the 2nd one tho, lol..

sukie
11-05-2010, 03:43 AM
I

Maybe it's me, but your pick up line was really pretty bad. Just be natural, not snarky. You WILL get the girl that way. :-)

Lexxy
11-05-2010, 03:47 AM
Sometimes saying what you think, and brutal honesty from the start is not a good thing, hahhah..

But maybe something like "Let's jam sometimes and trade Uke secrets..." or maybe even "I have a solid wood..." ehheh.. Maybe not so much the 2nd one tho, lol..

This is too funny!! Hhahahahhahaha

Hippie Dribble
11-05-2010, 04:20 AM
Maybe it's me, but your pick up line was really pretty bad. Just be natural, not snarky. You WILL get the girl that way. :-)

but why was it bad?????

(i) you're telling the girl instantly with the first words out of your mouth spoken to her, that she is a sex object

(ii) you accepted her compliment when you said "No sweat" but then neglected to give probably the one compliment that she was hoping to receive that evening...something nice about her uke playing...after all it was an open mic night and that was the one thing you had in common

I agree with Sukie, just talk with her naturally and show some respect brother.

haolejohn
11-05-2010, 04:43 AM

First of all, should have asked if she'd like to jam...THat is quality time with someone that is fun and not weird. Then you could have used your wit and personalitiy to win her over.

UncleElvis
11-05-2010, 04:46 AM

Like I said... don't use pickup lines.

But if you gotta, you could do worse than this one!
It might work...

ichadwick
11-05-2010, 05:21 AM

To which she replied, "Are you stringing me along?"
"You're a plucky lass," I countered.
"You're picking on me," she said.
"No, you're fretting too much."
... ;-)

Jnobianchi
11-05-2010, 05:26 AM
:D Oh, dear. Point proven: there is NO such thing as a good uke pick-up line. ;)

papplehead
11-05-2010, 06:58 AM
You could say something to the effect of:
I like your high-g string. I prefer a low one myself.

Im sure she would get a kick out of that one. :D:D

Jerlial Prophet
11-05-2010, 07:06 AM
I don't really have anything to contribute to this thread other than to say that I love it!

Oh, and I think eugene ukulele hit the nail on the head in post 13 point number 2.

Jake_Loew
11-05-2010, 07:26 AM
maybe even "I have a solid wood..."
Why didn't I think of that one first!?
haha, I love this thread

haole
11-05-2010, 07:27 AM
"Nice uke. Kanile'a?"

Jake_Loew
11-05-2010, 07:29 AM
just so everybody knows, I was just messin' around. I'm not a tool who uses pick up lines seriously.

lindydanny
11-05-2010, 07:40 AM
A man is only as good as his tool.

Go for a pun. Always. Any girl who isn't going to play pass the pun with you isn't worth your time. No funny, no honey!

~DB

P.S.: The real important thing with pickup lines is delivery. Same as jokes. If it comes across wrong, it doesn't matter how "good" the line is. Most of the time, though, it's better to just ignore the social norms and just dive in head first. If you really want to know what your are doing out there, watch the movie "Swingers" and then read The Rules (http://www.angelfire.com/pa/205/links0.html).

misterpk
11-05-2010, 08:32 AM
"Nice uke. Kanile'a?"

OMG. Best pick up line... EVER.

The other ones in this thread made me chuckle but this one seriously made me laugh out loud. :)

Dane
11-05-2010, 01:40 PM
The line was fine, for some women. For others it is most definitely not ok. That is why most people say pick-up lines are bad, because it would be difficult to know how she would think about it since you know nothing about her..... And yes it has a lot to do with your delivery and then I would say that different women would appreciate different deliveries. Best to avoid, too complicated of a matter for such a corny thing.

haoleerik
11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
pick up lines are for the birds. just chat with her, if she seems interested ask her to coffee or lunch, something small. but if when youre talking to her she doesnt seem interested, bail. i have never been able to bag a chick that didnt seem interested.
thats my advice. the best pickup lines are; hows it going? whats the haps? stuff like that

Papa Tom
11-05-2010, 04:10 PM
When I was gigging as a drummer, I used to step out front once a night to play a huge percussive instrument that I invented. It was a giant drum that I stood on and pounded with a six-foot wrap of bamboo sticks while my other hand smacked away at the bamboo with a handful of wooden branches. The way the whole set-up was lighted and all made for what my wife used to call "a groupie's wet dream."

One night after a show, an attractive young woman approached me and said something like "I like your instrument," to which I could have easily responded with something flirtatious and jerkish. Instead, I thanked her and proceeded to show her how it was made, how it got miked, and how I controlled the various lighting effects with my feet. She continued to show lots of interest and I began to feel like this might be the night I'd be faced with the big decision of whether to cheat on my wife after so many years. My dilemma ended when the owner of the club came over, put his arm around the woman, and said "So you met my girl?" Fortunately, that's ALL I had done, and the band was able to play that club many more times over the years.

The point of the story is that, regardless of how awkward you might be when people (especially members of the opposite sex) compliment you on your playing (after all, we're musicians because we have limited social skills!), be careful with what you say -- and don't assume that every compliment is a proposition.

Hippie Dribble
11-05-2010, 04:20 PM
"Nice uke. Kanile'a?"

:biglaugh::rofl:

hey Jake...I kinda thought you were just having fun and, yep,it's a good thread brother

my thing is that I studied feminism four 4 years at Uni and I still bear the scars!!! Couldn't help myself and nibble at the hook to make a political point or two...

:cheers:

austin1
11-05-2010, 05:35 PM
but why was it bad?????

(i) you're telling the girl instantly with the first words out of your mouth spoken to her, that she is a sex object

(ii) you accepted her compliment when you said "No sweat" but then neglected to give probably the one compliment that she was hoping to receive that evening...something nice about her uke playing...after all it was an open mic night and that was the one thing you had in common

I agree with Sukie, just talk with her naturally and show some respect brother.

This probably makes me a terrible excuse for a woman, but I still would have laughed pretty hard had this pick-up line been used on me. In a "with you, not at you" kind of way.

Edit: I just reread the original post. Whatever, that chick was fishing for compliments, and I've got no respect for that. If she's not secure enough in herself to laugh, instead of getting all upset because you complimented the wrong thing, I say good riddance to her, and save your lines for nicer girls.

See, a silly "you're hotter than me" pick-up line would make me laugh, but getting invited over to random dude's house would creep me out. Jake, be yourself, whatever works, works. I guess it really does come down to the girl.

Michael_
11-08-2010, 02:22 AM
but getting invited over to random dude's house would creep me out

Haha, I'm not a random guy. I'm the good-looking fancy guy who is self-confident enough to go on stage with that silly instrument :p

Whatever, that chick was fishing for compliments

Good point! But if she's hot, nevermind ;)

"Nice uke. Kanile'a?"

Wow, I didn't even grasp it when I read it first! That's the ultimate ukulele pickup line! Kudos! On the other hand, you totally ruined this brand for me:eek:

Tudorp
11-08-2010, 03:02 AM
All joking aside, I have always hated "cheesy" lines, and I never used them, because they are so dang cheesy. But, that said, when I first saw my wife years ago, I didn't know how to approach her. So, my brain started going into overdrive, because she was classy, and poised, way out of my leauge, and I did not want to open with some cheesy "line" because I knew she wouldn't bite. After thinking long and hard how to deal with this delima, I decided, "Well, how about using an OBVIOUS cheesy line to sound like a charming man boy using an old cliche to pick up a woman...?" Hmm... That just might work. It would be so obvious, it would shock and charm her, instead of trying to act like I was clever. So, I approached my future wife and stole a classic line from an old movie. "Is this seat taken?". She looked up, shocked at such a cheesy line, and myself with a boyish nervous grin anticipating rejection. After what seemed like an hour as she analized the cheese, and the 6'5" 260 lbs man boy towering over her table, grinned and said, "wow.. What a line.. No, this seat is not taken..." At which I started to breath again, and sat down. We started talking small talk, and later admitted she was shocked at such an old, cheesy pick up line that it took her by suprise, and said that it was so obvious it had to be a charming joke. And that is what worked with her. The boyish charm, and humor. We immediatly started dating exclusivly, and married about a year later, and been happily married since.

So, that said, yeah, sometimes, even the cheesy lines can work if used correctly..

Just sayin..

austin1
11-08-2010, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=Michael_;515901]Haha, I'm not a random guy. I'm the good-looking fancy guy who is self-confident enough to go on stage with that silly instrument :p

perfectly acceptable then

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-08-2010, 05:26 AM
I wouldn't suggest using pick up lines. I think they are kind of tacky. Just be yourself and compliment her. (I know it sounds cliched but... seriously)