Cutaways

Sambient

Reaction score
Anyone not like them?
I'm realizing I'm not sure.
Maybe I don't use my hands properly, but I think I like there being some body on the other end of my down stroke instead of a void.
I don't anticipate ever being a proficient enough player that I'm going to be making much use of those notes way up on the neck that the cutaway gives me access to.

(Apologies to any language purists, didn't know how to not end that last sentence with a preposition)

I've got a Kala cedar top tenor cutaway, and while I really don't play up on the neck, the volume is amazing, my loudest uke, great for playing in mixed groups with guitars; and it looks really cool.

Realise that many like them but I don't at all. I think they're ugly and that the design is harsh and angular...don't like 'em on guitars either...to me it's just not how a traditional ukulele should be designed. That said , I have a pretty conservative world view of life generally, I value tradition and history...I'm not a fan of using pick ups and pedals with ukes either...much prefer the raw sound of playing through a stage mic...just my :2cents:

Well..There ARE different types of cutaways..Some sharp, some round-ish, some that don't curve upwards..
STE2026EBK.jpg
The round-ish curves.
James_Hill_SS0.jpg
The no curves..
IMG_1059.JPG
The sharp curves...

I am not a fan of cutaways. I like the symmetry of a standard uke shape. My thoughts might change if I ever learn to play that high up the neck though ;).

Well..There ARE different types of cutaways..Some sharp, some round-ish, some that don't curve upwards..
STE2026EBK.jpg
The round-ish curves.
James_Hill_SS0.jpg
The no curves..
IMG_1059.JPG
The sharp curves...

sorry I'm being a wet blanket and probably in the minority...but I don't like any of those Lexxy...never seen one on a ukulele that I like...ever...as for playing higher up the neck, fair points you guys make, but 12-14 frets is enough for me...anything past there doesn't sound nice to my ears anyway...it all goes a bit tuneless and just sounds like squealing

I believe it's a trade off.....more body cavity for better sound or higher frets with a sharper tone...probally I take the first...by a long shot...
saying that, I do have a cutaway....too... he he

I like cutaways. Some stuff I play are past the 12th fret and I usually put a bunch of strum marks on the upper bout, so having a cutaway means easier access to higher frets and less scratches for my ukulele. I also like the looks of most cutaways. Having said that, I only have a couple of ukes with it because it really doesn't matter to me either way. Having a cutaway almost always means more money, so since it's not a must have feature for me, I usually pass on it.

I am not a fan of cutaways. I like the symmetry of a standard uke shape. My thoughts might change if I ever learn to play that high up the neck though ;).

I agree! Right now, I'm not a cutaway fan as I don't play that far up the neck (yet). Besides, I prefer the traditional look. Just my opinion!

STE2026EBK.jpg
The round-ish curves.
James_Hill_SS0.jpg
The no curves..
IMG_1059.JPG
The sharp curves...

The sharp one in guitar circles if often referred to as a "florentine" cutaway

I'm not a fan of cutaways either. Sometimes I rest my ring and pinky fingers in that area on my ukes when I am finger or thumb picking.

Up the Neck w/o the Cutaway!

We like to play up the neck. We just don't have to forego the traditional look to get there. Most of what we build have longer scales. That gives us (depending on the model) 15-17 frets to the body.

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Last edited:
We like to play up the neck. We just don't have to forego the traditional look to get there. Most of what we build have longer scales. That gives us (depending on the model) 15-17 frets to the neck.

Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too!

Great point!

Ixnay on the cutaway for me.

My Cordoba has a cut away. I think it looks fine on that uke. When chunking I find I miss the extra wood though. I don't hate them but I won't go out of my way to get one either.

The beauty of it is that there are so many different ukuleles. We can buy one with a cutaway or without...often the same model!

That said, I have two--one of each. I think if I'm playing acoustic, I'd like to have the full body. Ukes are already small enough without shrinking their acoustic space. For plugged-in, it doesn't matter. I'm not yet good enough to "miss" the frets that are hard to reach without a cutaway, and being a bass player, they seem frighteningly tiny anyway. :)

Pete

PS- You could try the sentence this way: "I don't anticipate ever being a proficient-enough player to make much use of those notes way up on the neck to which the cutaway gives me access," but I wouldn't sweat it. We knew what you meant. ;)

I agree! Right now, I'm not a cutaway fan as I don't play that far up the neck (yet). Besides, I prefer the traditional look. Just my opinion!

Got to agree with molokinirum and mandarb, I just don't care for the look. Seem like guitar wannabes and I don't care for them on guitars either. I guess I'm just old but I prefer the traditional look.

Top Bottom