PDA

View Full Version : Official Ukulele Players of Los Angeles.

UkuleleBlake
06-28-2008, 01:41 AM
If you're a ukulele player from the Los Angeles and Los Angeles County area, beginner or pro, post here and we can all stay in touch. Possibly have some get-togethers and all that good stuff.
(I do realize there have been a few small L.A. threads; I am hoping to make this the official list.)

FunkyPeaNutZ
06-29-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm over here in Lakewood. I'm a professional beginner, which means I've been playing too long, and play so poorly. I'm up for anything. Hopefully LA can live up to the SD get-together standards.

UkuleleBlake
06-29-2008, 06:43 PM
What might those standards be? I'd love to have a get-together.

jimbeaubjj
07-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Hey...I'm one county over, but I still consider LA my home, sort of...I would come down for any get together....

FunkyPeaNutZ
07-01-2008, 07:02 PM
Those standards, are awesome vibes, great participation, even better attitude. Check some of the older posts of the San Diego meets, I believe nuke has a video of the 1st one. You won't be disappointed.

ricdoug
07-06-2008, 01:40 AM
It's reaslly growing in San Diego. We have over 1000 ukulele players ad a half dozen ukulele kanikapila clubs that I know about (I'm sure there are more):

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3011

If you'd like to start a local group from an established international club, contact Mike McVay, or Pat Enos at:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America

There are already established rules, bylaws and a large downloadable songbook in place. It really takes the growing pains out of starting up a new club. Ric

ricdoug
07-06-2008, 01:58 AM
These are also close to L.A.:

http://www.koloheukuleleclub.org

http://www.koloheukuleleclub.org/PracticeMap.html

There is a Ventura chapter of the Ukulele Society of America, if that's close enough for any of you L.A. ukulelists:

Title: Ventura Ukulele Jam

Date: Wednesday July 2, 2008
Time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every week.
Street: 2950 Johnson Drive
City State Zip: Ventura, CA
Notes: Ventura chapter of the Ukulele Society of America hosts its weekly ukulele jam at Java Joe's coffee house in the Century 16 Center on Johnson Drive in ventura, CA. Alan ferentz is the Alika'i (Conductor). Please join us for our ukulele circle sing-along.

Elk
07-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I'm in Northridge, and I've been playing the ukulele mayhaps... give or take a year, on and off. So I still consider myself a begginer, but I've been getting more and more into it as of late, so... hurrah!

dannyboy
07-07-2008, 03:33 PM
im over here in torrance/carson. been playing for over 3 years :rock:

JumpingPulgas
07-09-2008, 01:06 PM
I'm here in Ventura County. I'm glad to hear that there's an ukulele club locally. I will try to make the next meeting.

NotoriousMOK
07-09-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm in -- I know Funky's down for a shorter trip than SD from time to time!

:nana:

JumpingPulgas
07-10-2008, 08:00 AM
Hey Rick...how did you know about the uke jam in Ventura? I went there last night and had a blast. Thanks for letting me know about it.

There is a Ventura chapter of the Ukulele Society of America, if that's close enough for any of you L.A. ukulelists:

Title: Ventura Ukulele Jam

Date: Wednesday July 2, 2008
Time: 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Repeats: This event repeats every week.
Street: 2950 Johnson Drive
City State Zip: Ventura, CA
Notes: Ventura chapter of the Ukulele Society of America hosts its weekly ukulele jam at Java Joe's coffee house in the Century 16 Center on Johnson Drive in ventura, CA. Alan ferentz is the Alika'i (Conductor). Please join us for our ukulele circle sing-along.

ricdoug
07-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Hey Rick...how did you know about the uke jam in Ventura? I went there last night and had a blast. Thanks for letting me know about it.

It's on our website, where you can also download the Club Songbook:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America

We would sure appreciate, if you would give us a rundown on your kanikapila ukulele meetup, here. Thanks, Ric Douglas

JumpingPulgas
07-10-2008, 12:41 PM
We had a great time. About 12 people showed at Java Joe's Coffee shop. We each took turns playing and singing.

It's on our website, where you can also download the Club Songbook:

http://www.Ukulele_Society_of_America

We would sure appreciate, if you would give us a rundown on your kanikapila ukulele meetup, here. Thanks, Ric Douglas

CAPT Mike
07-10-2008, 01:35 PM
sorry Ric
this is the correct web site for the Ukulele Society of America (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Ukulele_Society_of_America/):bowdown:

CAPT Mike
07-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Aloha,
Alan Ferentz came and visitied the USA group in Carlsbad a few weeks ago. When he said he wanted to start a group in Ventura, Pat and I gave him a few ideas to bandy-about. I'm really happy to hear that things are fun there and he is enjoying some success! :cool:
This is their web site Java Uke Jam (http://www.javaukejam.com/)

ricdoug
07-10-2008, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the report, Jumping Pulgas and thanks for the website correction, Skipper! Ric

FunkyPeaNutZ
07-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Mok, You know I'm down for whatever, as long as the vibes are good, I know I'll have some fun. We get you on those drums again, only good things can happen.

Trevorbar
07-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Hey i'm from rowland heights. i'm new to the uke

tsud123
07-29-2008, 07:22 AM
hey guys...

i realize i'm posting this message in multiple threads...but i wanted to make sure i covered my bases.

i am part of website called bakitwhy.com...and we're inviting the ukuleleunderground family to jam with us at a BBQ in the huntington beach area.

august 23rd....anyone able to make it?

richB
07-31-2008, 01:07 PM
I'm in Los Angeles (Glendale). Down to chill with you guys. Let me know when we can get together.
Oh yeah me beginna too, but practice alot.

richB
07-31-2008, 01:15 PM
hey guys...

i realize i'm posting this message in multiple threads...but i wanted to make sure i covered my bases.

i am part of website called bakitwhy.com...and we're inviting the ukuleleunderground family to jam with us at a BBQ in the huntington beach area.

august 23rd....anyone able to make it?

Sounds pretty good. I think a few friends, my wife and myself are down to go. Just checked your site, I'll stay posted on it.
Thanks
Rich

StunNAndRE
08-02-2008, 12:09 AM
There should be Ukulele festivals or ukulele events at least. Does anybody know of any?

psychosis3287
08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey there, im new to the uke thing- im actually awaiting the arrival of my first uke. Not much just a starter lanikai. But im in the South Gate/Downey area and would love to keep up with LA events

generem
10-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Im in West Covina. Been playing for almost 3 weeks now... LOL... I was planning on attending Bazaar's thursday night jam sessions but if I could find anything closer. I would totally be interested

devin_with_an_i
10-02-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm in Azusa, CA at APU (Azusa Pacific University). I've probably met about 10 people here who play.

ke leo
10-02-2008, 06:47 PM
I was not a memeber when this was originally posted, so I missed it...Count me in!

mykulangot92
10-02-2008, 07:13 PM
gardena cali

15 year old beginner
started uke club my idea and vice president of it lol
i dont suck that bad

BluesDrive
10-02-2008, 09:25 PM
I'm from the 818/747. Chatsworth/Northridge/Woodland Hills area.

ill-attack
10-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Hey! I live in Diamond Bar, and I'm a beginner too! You can add myspace, and maybe we'll start a ukulele orchestra or something with everyone else in LA!

-Peace, Love. Ruddy:nana:

cklein
10-07-2008, 06:15 PM
im in palosverdes torrance area :) anyone else close by?

BluesDrive
10-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Ehh, I'm in the san fernando valley. Chatsworth area. My dad works in torrance though and I visit my girlfriend over at UC Irvine a lot too.

unlucky07
10-08-2008, 09:11 AM
I'm in the San Fernando Valley Area. Panorama City to be exact. If anyone wants to get together, I'm there.

aiglesia
10-15-2008, 03:13 PM
North Hollywood here...i'm down to get together

Pharmaceutical.Bandit
11-30-2008, 05:24 PM
i'm from the los angeles area.

north hollywood to be exact. (san fernando valley)

still new to the ukulele, but dying to learn anything and everything. i loves it. lol.

Spuash
11-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Im up in Santa Barbara and am willing to go to some jam seshhhhhhions. i know its almost december.. is the wednesday night thing still happening at java joes?

megdizzle
11-30-2008, 09:06 PM
reppin the three one ohhh babyyy!!
but my heart belongs in hawaii.

if you're in the area hit me up and lets jam sometimee :]

salukulady
11-30-2008, 09:15 PM
I was not a memeber when this was originally posted, so I missed it...Count me in!ke leo is an LA poser....he's really from OC, ha ha......can I catch a ride, Greg? Love you lots!

slownsilent
12-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I r reppin the 323? D:

ke leo
12-02-2008, 10:32 AM
ke leo is an LA poser....he's really from OC, ha ha......can I catch a ride, Greg? Love you lots!

Shhhhhhh!!!!

psychopathicjack
12-06-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm from Pasadena area, anyone willing to just get together this month and just jam at the local park? Maybe teach me a few things?

All of the uke clubs around my hood is a good drive away, either OC or west LA. Let's get some loving in east LA.

wickedwahine11
12-06-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm from Pasadena area, anyone willing to just get together this month and just jam at the local park? Maybe teach me a few things?

I'm also in Pasadena. But since I just started playing, there is without a doubt no way I could teach you anything! But I'd like to meet if a group gets together...

wickedwahine11
12-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Has anyone taken the ukulele lessons at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica? I can't find anything closer to me in Pasadena, but if they are good, it is worth driving for.

Rock-A-Hula
12-08-2008, 09:47 PM
Has anyone taken the ukulele lessons at McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica? I can't find anything closer to me in Pasadena, but if they are good, it is worth driving for.

Howdy, wickedwahine11! McCabe's is THE venerable fretted instrument store and concert venue for the Los Angeles area. It is world-class and my guess is that you would be happy studying with any of the instructors on their staff... But YMMV and the drive is long?!

...That said, to tell you how long it's been since my last visits there due to that loooong drive from the east end of the SGV -- it was 1979 and I went to concerts there by Lightnin' Hopkins, PeeWee Crayton, and Big Mama Thornton -- all of whom passed away in the early Eighties!!!!!

Also, there's another fantastic store/concert venue in Covina that's been around since the early Seventies called The Fret House (http://www.covina.com/frethouse/index.htm) that may be closer to you? They are also world-class but a smaller store than McCabe's. The big question is if they offer uke lessons. (From their "lessons" webpage: "Instruction is offered in all styles of guitar, bass, drums, banjo, mandolin, lap and pedal steel, piano, reeds, brass, and strings.") It might be worth a phone call to save some gasoline...?

Anyway, good luck in your quest! :music: :)

danielvuong
12-30-2008, 02:55 PM
residing in the 213 area. echo park. :]

BboyEmperor
12-30-2008, 03:59 PM
LA County; Long Beach City. :) Who else who else who else?!

thi5guy
12-30-2008, 11:43 PM
Im from Lakewood! I am a beginner. Ive had my uke for more than two years but just recently started to learn how to play a few months ago.

wickedwahine11
12-31-2008, 04:38 AM
For any other beginners out there, McCabe's in Santa Monica has a beginner class that runs for 8 sessions (each Monday from January 12 to March 2). The cost is a little steep ($170) but when you break it out over eight weeks, it isn't too bad. The classes meet from 8pm to 9:45. You can see more information here: http://www.mccabes.com/classuke.html

I signed up for them...I can't wait for it to start. Hope to see some of you there!

JoeyJr858
12-31-2008, 06:17 AM
L.A.!!!!! and Riverside too!

Cruise down to Daygo in January for the uke workshop by Derick Sebastian, Sat, January 17th! =)
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8111

Maybe that same night we can get Nuke to host another SD meetup. That would be a win/win sitch yeah?

SHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!

bojo82
03-05-2009, 06:54 PM
hey yall..new to uu hea! just started playin the uke a month ago. im from the e. los angeles county 626 area

wickedwahine11
03-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Welcome bojo82...I'm in the 626 as well. :D

Lori
03-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Any groups in west LA? I know McCabes is close to me, but I am unsure if I should take the lessons. $170 could go toward another uke, after all. I have taken classical guitar and banjo lessons in the past. I figured I might be able to just build on that knowledge and refer to a few books. It would be much better if I could join a group of intermediate - advanced players and learn from them. Anyone have any feedback on McCabes intermediate uke lessions?

Thanks, Lori

wickedwahine11
03-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Any groups in west LA? I know McCabes is close to me, but I am unsure if I should take the lessons. $170 could go toward another uke, after all. I have taken classical guitar and banjo lessons in the past. I figured I might be able to just build on that knowledge and refer to a few books. It would be much better if I could join a group of intermediate - advanced players and learn from them. Anyone have any feedback on McCabes intermediate uke lessions?

Thanks, Lori

The intermediate lessons actually start on March 16th. I don't know when they were last offered (in case someone on here has taken them already). I'm sure you could probably just jump into them if you have a string instrument background. I took the beginning classes and I'm enrolled in the intermediate (though I'm missing the first class session). $170 is kind of steep, but it is a nice group of people, and a quasi-social group seems to be forming amongst those of us who are continuing on. If nothing else, after the intermediate lessons finish in May, I wouldn't be surprised if the group of us got together once a while and played. You could always think about jumping in on that...

bojo82
03-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Welcome bojo82...I'm in the 626 as well. :D

thanks! cool....there has to be more ppl on hea that plays in or around 626. how long have u been playing wickedwahine11? do u know if there are any get togethers around this area?

Harold O.
03-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm in the Canoga Park area and can't seem to get much traction on a group. The local Guitar Merchant is willing to give us space, but we'd need to be bigger than a group of one.

wickedwahine11
03-06-2009, 03:32 PM
thanks! cool....there has to be more ppl on hea that plays in or around 626. how long have u been playing wickedwahine11? do u know if there are any get togethers around this area?

I've only been playing since last November, so I'm still definitely in the beginner/intermediate category. No get togethers have been done around here, the San Diego guys/gals seem to be much more social than those of us in LA. I think there is a group that plays in the OC at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach though...if you don't mind a bit of a drive.

bojo82
03-06-2009, 05:24 PM
I've only been playing since last November, so I'm still definitely in the beginner/intermediate category. No get togethers have been done around here, the San Diego guys/gals seem to be much more social than those of us in LA. I think there is a group that plays in the OC at Island Bazaar in Huntington Beach though...if you don't mind a bit of a drive.

is island bazaar that place in that lil prominod area? what days are those? well i've only been playing for a month. maybe when i get better i guess i'll start hitting up those big meets. right now im jes lookin for a small get together sorta thing. it could be jes 2-3 ppl and that would b cool. im lookin to learn how to strum/chuck better and maybe i could learn other things as well. as far as playing the uke..im a beginner but i plenty of songs that i could play. jes that my strumming technique aint that great which also doesn't make the song sound good. lol

Lori
03-06-2009, 07:31 PM
The intermediate lessons actually start on March 16th. I don't know when they were last offered (in case someone on here has taken them already). I'm sure you could probably just jump into them if you have a string instrument background. I took the beginning classes and I'm enrolled in the intermediate (though I'm missing the first class session). $170 is kind of steep, but it is a nice group of people, and a quasi-social group seems to be forming amongst those of us who are continuing on. If nothing else, after the intermediate lessons finish in May, I wouldn't be surprised if the group of us got together once a while and played. You could always think about jumping in on that...

About how many people are in the class that are continuing from the beginner class? How many were in your beginning class?

–Lori

wickedwahine11
03-06-2009, 08:17 PM
About how many people are in the class that are continuing from the beginner class? How many were in your beginning class?

–Lori

The beginning class had about 12 people in it (all women). There were two guys the first couple of weeks but they dropped out. As for the upcoming class, I know for sure of about five people but I don't know how many others are also continuing on to the intermediate class...

Mr. Clean
03-17-2009, 01:27 PM
310-south bay, Yawndale!!! :o
I could use alot of help learning this instrument and about music in general...
I will pay for the coffee. :cheers:

menehune25
03-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I live in Rosemead. I've been looking for other uke players to jam with in the area. I've been playing for about 2 years but still a beginner.

Ukulele Bartt
04-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Hey, All -
I'm in Los Angeles. If anybody's got a decent uke jam going on, I'd love to know about it!

Lori
04-04-2009, 04:14 PM
LA is big, and crowded. Where are you Ukulele Bartt?
–Lori

tanimoto
04-12-2009, 12:40 PM
i'm down here in Irvine, CA
any UCI people on here?

Ukulele Bartt
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm near Pasadena - seems like there are a bunch of players scattered around, but nobody seems up for coordinating a gathering. I'd be open to putting it together at a venue or park if people will commit. My website is Bartt.net -

Anybody?

Bluke
04-16-2009, 04:55 PM
I'm in Santa Barbara. It sure is uke-a-lonely up here.

OrangeUke
04-16-2009, 07:06 PM
any UCI people on here?

Hey! I'll be attending UCI this coming fall!

generem
04-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I'm near Pasadena - seems like there are a bunch of players scattered around, but nobody seems up for coordinating a gathering. I'd be open to putting it together at a venue or park if people will commit. My website is Bartt.net -

Anybody?

Pretty cool site there bro.. If you set it up. I will do my best to be there. I live a few blocks from bojo82 and we cant seem to match schedules to meet... But Im in west covina and I'm actually heading out to SD for the ukulele meet there this weekend... Set one up in our area.. I'll even help out..

And Bluke. I think most of us Ukulele players feel the same way...

Elk
04-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Ukulele Bartt - I would definetly be interested, so you got one more person on board if you need help with anything.

lareelman
05-07-2009, 08:07 AM
I'm in Hollywood. Have been playing a baritone for almost 5 years and got my first concert last weekend.

palagileaga
07-04-2009, 06:31 PM
I live in Rosemead. I've been looking for other uke players to jam with in the area. I've been playing for about 2 years but still a beginner.
Have you found anyone yet? I am in San Gabriel and also a beginner/intermediate player.

Harold O.
07-05-2009, 07:03 PM
PM me if you will be in the west San Fernando Valley. Jeez, with so many different forum selections, it's a wonder I see anything anymore.

That said, I have a user-friendly store that will host a uke gathering with the slightest bit of insistence on my part. If I know we can have SIX people show up, he'll give us all the room and time we want.

BUT PM ME or I might miss you.

Byung
12-11-2009, 07:00 AM
sup I'm from downtown L.A...just want to learn to play cuz I've never played before but was always interested wen i was stationed in pearl...

hoosierhiver
12-11-2009, 07:16 AM
It'd be great if someone could arrange a venue for jamming some evening during the Anaheim NAMM show(Jan 14th-17th). There will be alot of great players in town.

Pueo
12-11-2009, 09:43 AM
any UCI people on here?

I went to UCI!
umm, it was in 1985-1988 though :eek:

Harold O.
12-12-2009, 08:16 AM
I went to UCI!
umm, it was in 1985-1988 though :eek:

I taught the karate class there during that time. Had a good group.

There are several stores and venues in the area, depending on what you consider to be "reasonable driving distance." Setting up a playing venue outside of NAMM could/should be done. My guess is that there will be multiple impromptu sets being played.

WAT
12-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Live in the (310) Torrance to be exact.... let jam :)