Small Length of Funky Rope Binding Needed....

spruce

Reaction score
Hi all...

I need a small length of some funky rope binding for a Kamaka Pineapple repair I'm contemplating...

I have rope binding, but it's too clean looking....
I need some funky stuff like you see on the old ukes, like this:

180U-1165_soundhole.jpg

Here's the uke I need to repair:

5026184947_0c1c287db4_b.jpg

If anyone has anything like that kicking around, I'd love to trade you out of it... ;)

Thanks!

That simple, rustic looking bridge actually looks compensated... Wish I could help, but I am looking forward to a discussion on rope binding.

Dave Means documents it on his website I believe...

Yep, great article, I've had it saved for over a year and it's printed out and lying on my bench as I type this. Post edited as not to hijack another one lol.

Last edited:
I have some scraps of rope binding from the outside of a vintage Hawai'ian copy, you'd have some bending and patching to do, but there's about 7" worth in 2 pieces...a bit over 1/16" wide.
On my wish list is 2 Kumalae frets, a scrap of Martin mahogany, and a scrap of Kumalae koa soundhole for some of my projects. I'd be happy to trade for any of the above, or just hook you up with this here rope...
peace
eeej

Thing is, the OP doesn't want good looking rope, he already has some. To match what already exists on the uke, I'd lay up the pieces individually. Looks like that's how it was done on the rosette.

Ahhh, so we're not really looking at rope binding, but a pieced together inlay?

Makes sense now that I look at it....
Thanks!

Top Bottom