How big is your tenor?

Raymond

Reaction score
I have a Tangi tenor uke with a no-name polyfoam case very similar to the ubiquitous Lanikai zippered case. It never really fit well. The case leaves quite a bit of free space around the instrument. The case fits my new Yamaha Guitalele almost perfectly so I'm now looking at new cases for the tenor and can't find one that I'm sure will fit properly. Here are my dimensions:

6-3/4" upper bout
5-3/4" waist
8-1/2" lower bout
2-5/8" - 2/3/4" body depth
11-1/8" body length
26" total length

I understand that there is no official size, but I think that's somewhere between typical concert and typical tenor dimensions. How do those measurements compare to other tenors? Is there a lot of variation in size? Does anyone's tenor come close to mine? If so, does your case fit well? What brand of case do you have?

My Mainland Tenor:

6-1/2" upper bout
5-1/2" waist
9" lower bout
2-3/4" body depth
12-1/16" body length
26-3/8" total length

I have one of my Mainland tenor's in one of those "Uke Crazy" style cases & there is at least 3/4" all around it. I've had a hard time finding a hard shell case myself. I bought one of those "vintage tweed" cases off of eBay & it was just too tight. Ended up putting a Fender Nohea Tenor in it which went to my son for his birthday (the Nohea fit really well).

Be interested to see what other tenors measure out as well as what case people recommend.

I have a Lanikai SM-T. Measurements:

6-7/8" upper bout
5-1/2" waist
9-1/4" lower bout
2-7/8" body depth
11-5/8" body length
26-1/2" total length

I don't have a hard case, but I need to get one. I'm HOPING the standard Lanikai tenor case will fit. It's hard to find cases in brick-and-mortar stores here (unless you want to pay way too much money for them, that is).

Aloha Raymond,
I have a Oscar Schmidt Hard vinyl deep plush inside case for $59.00 from musician's friend...
It was ordered for my concert OSU.. may well be a concert case I'm not sure...but I like the fit for my tenor...
It fits my kamaka tenor rather snuggly all around...I like the fit, maybe a little tight but not
forcing it in...my Kamaka white label tenor dementions is:
Upper bout 6 3/4 inch wide
Waist 5 7/8 inch wide
Lower bout 9 inches
Body depth upper bout-2 1/2 inches...lower bout..3 inches..
Body length 11 15/16 inches...
Over length.. 26 1/2 inches.

Last edited:
My PD-1 measures out at:

6-7/8" upper bout
6-1/8" waist
9-3/8" lower bout
2-3/4" edge - 3" center (arched back) body depth
12" body length
27-1/2" total length

John

howdy Raymond...sorry brother but I believe it is most immodest for a man to boast about how big his tenor is...that's after midnight talk :eek:

My mainland tenor is in a stagg hard case I had to cut out some of the wood frame to fit it though but it fits snug now

Top Bottom