PDA

View Full Version : My ukulele named "JAKE"

danged
11-06-2010, 10:56 AM
After almost 5 years of waiting :iwant: after winning the lottery for a Kamaka Jake Shimabukuro Signature ukulele, I have it in my hands!:drool: my new uke is numbered 25/100 so there's quite a few that still need to be built. The tenor 4-string, designed by luthier Casey Kamaka to the specific requirements of Jake Shimabukuro, was hand numbered, autographed, and personally inspected for the highest quality by Jake. The Jake Signature model is intricately detailed and features premium curly koa, ebony fingerboard and bridge with Jake’s logo inlayed in mother of pearl, abalone heart rosette and purfling bordered with red trim. Other features include rosewood top and back binding, flat-top style headstock found only on Jake’s personal ukuleles, gold Schaller mini guitar keys with ebony buttons, a Fishman Acoustic Matrix pickup and a hard inside case and soft outer custom case embroidered with our Kamaka logo. Only 100 of these ‘ukuleles are being made.

The crafting of 100 custom-made instruments to the specifications of Jake Shimabukuro and luthier Casey Kamaka has been a labor intensive and time consuming process. In order to maintain the highest standard of quality, each ‘ukulele has taken about eighteen months to complete.

Gmoney
11-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Indeed a beautiful instrument. I'm sure you will enjoy it & play it with a smile!

molokinirum
11-06-2010, 11:10 AM
Wow!!!! Congratulations on your Jake!! Awesome, man, just awesome!!!
Post a sound clip???? Please, please, pretty please!!!!!

danged
11-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Here's a sound clip of "JAKE", the strings are Factory Kamaka, actually repackaged D'Addario Classical Guitar Strings. Although the Uke sound great with the D'addario's, I'm thinking of putting on my favorite set up using Savarez Classical Guitar Strings, I will post the clip if and when I get the nerve to change it. I noticed the Bone Saddle has been filled to different levels and thickness for each string, and the action is perfect, so I'm hesitant in making any string changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5eOP-OhZAA

Here's a couple more pictures of the Carry bag, Case and insides.

Lexxy
11-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Wow..it sounds and plays like a dream..

wickedwahine11
11-06-2010, 01:15 PM
That is beautiful, congratulations! Enjoy it!
P.S. I am a big fan of the Ameritage case as well. That is what I use for my uke. It is a tad heavy to carry around but the protection can't be beat. (Okay unless you get a custom Calton case like Jake's). ;)

Ronnie Aloha
11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Woohoo! Wow, you're only number 25. Kaleo had his months ago. I'd even say close to a year ago. I guess it will be years before others get their Jake's. Congratulations! Needless to say its gorgeous.

Mr Bill
11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Hello Danged,

A true masterpiece, I'm sure most of us are a wee bit jealous.
The case cover's a nice touch these were popular accessories for most pro musicians
up till about the 70's then it seems the fell out of fashion.
Best of luck with that beauty.

Cheers.

itsme
11-06-2010, 03:22 PM
That's an absolutely beautiful instrument! Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

mm stan
11-06-2010, 03:39 PM
That's an absolutely beautiful instrument! Out of curiosity, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

I second on that....have fun and enjoy....thanks for sharing!!!
Ho'o lono ana i ke kani hone hone a ka Ukulele....MM Stan..:):)

molokinirum
11-06-2010, 04:19 PM
The sound is simply beautiful! Thanks for posting the video.

haolejohn
11-06-2010, 04:30 PM

I may be butting in here but if my memory serves me correctly these ukes were around $4-$5K???

Ronnie Aloha
11-06-2010, 04:32 PM
$5,000 if I remember correctly. I had the form printed out but talked myself out of it...

mm stan
11-06-2010, 04:44 PM
$5000.00 Wow...that's something to really think about I guess.....can buy alot more premimum kamaka's and get the whole set. eh!!! Stan..

Ronnie Aloha
11-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Would probably get more than that in Japan right now.

GX9901
11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
$5,000 if I remember correctly. I had the form printed out but talked myself out of it...

I thought it was $5500. But at least $5k for sure.

To be perfectly honest, for that money I would probably want my own initials on it with the Jake slotted headstock. But then that wouldn't be the Jake Shimabukuro signature model. :p These ukuleles do look pretty awesome though, and if I could afford one I'd definitely want it.

mm stan
11-06-2010, 10:45 PM

To be perfectly honest, for that money I would probably want my own initials on it with the Jake slotted headstock. But then that wouldn't be the Jake Shimabukuro signature model. :p These ukuleles do look pretty awesome though, and if I could afford one I'd definitely want it.
Aloha George,
I thought of that senerio, if you do...it's a keeper!! Kinda hard to sell afterwards with your initials, but if it's Jakes, it will be worth alot more....and definetly easier to sell....I think??$5000.00hmm

roxhum
11-07-2010, 03:31 AM
Beautiful, Awesome. Huge congratulations, that is a very special ukulele.

Rox

danged
11-07-2010, 09:00 AM

You hit the nail on the head at $5500 plus shipping which was $80.00, and $5.00, for the cardboard box it was shipped in. OUCH! No discount here, yes you got to be crazy to spend that kind of money! But once you put it in your hands, just holding it puts a huge smile on my face and this ukulele sounds like no other I've ever laid my hands on. "You only live once"
The going price in Japan for this uke is already over $8,000.00, and the price was set before Jake's huge popularity from his Sony makeover.

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-11-2010, 05:39 AM
Congrats!! on your uke! Its a beautiful instrument!

experimentjon
11-12-2010, 01:03 PM
You hit the nail on the head at $5500 plus shipping which was $80.00, and $5.00, for the cardboard box it was shipped in. OUCH! No discount here, yes you got to be crazy to spend that kind of money! But once you put it in your hands, just holding it puts a huge smile on my face and this ukulele sounds like no other I've ever laid my hands on. "You only live once"
The going price in Japan for this uke is already over $8,000.00, and the price was set before Jake's huge popularity from his Sony makeover.

Sounds like an ukulele arbitrage opportunity right there.

$2500 of interest over 5 years on a $5000 investment. That's not bad.