PDA

View Full Version : ever see a Kamaka HP1-L long neck pineapple?

janeray1940
11-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Just wondering if anybody outside of Japan has ever seen one of these (http://ukulele.pua2.com/details/hp1l.html) for sale. Google shows a number of them for sale in Japan (such as these (http://www.kurosawagakki.com/tags/search/5/0/291-1581-3660.html)), and Ukulele Pua Pua seems to be able to special order one, but aside from that they seem to be a mythical beast!

I'm curious to know if anybody here has one. Or for that matter, if anybody here has placed a special order via Pua Pua and can tell me about that experience.

Thanks as always!

cletus
11-06-2010, 05:00 PM
And so much for my UAS being in remission!
Janeray, you're killing me here.

janeray1940
11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
And so much for my UAS being in remission!
Janeray, you're killing me here.

Yeah, I thought mine was in remission too but it didn't last long :)

Ukulele Pua Pua just contacted me - you can put in a reservation for one now; they expect to have them next April.

mm stan
11-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Aloha JaneRay,
You can special order one directly from the factory I'm sure...just call or e-mail them and ask....How's your kamaka sounding, you must have the Kamaka Fever now....buying more??? MM Stan..
A special order from the factory would be faster....about three months... if you buy from dealers they have to put in the order, just faster dealing direct...maybe get a better price too....jus ask!!:):)
A one in Japan for $1400.00 plus , too rich for my blood.....guess the customs and taxes increases...

janeray1940
11-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Aloha JaneRay,
You can special order one directly from the factory I'm sure...just call or e-mail them and ask....How's your kamaka sounding, you must have the Kamaka Fever now....buying more??? MM Stan..
A special order from the factory would be faster....about three months... if you buy from dealers they have to put in the order, just faster dealing direct...maybe get a better price too....jus ask!!:):)
A one in Japan for $1400.00 plus , too rich for my blood.....guess the customs and taxes increases...

Hey MM Stan. I did email the factory, I'll call if I don't hear back in the next few days. Probably the best way to go if they will take an order for one - I've heard that they aren't taking special orders right now though.

I am *loving* the new Kamaka concert. It sounds so different than the soprano, I'm really glad I bought it :)

mm stan
11-06-2010, 05:35 PM
Aloha JaneRay,
Call them is the easiest and fastest way...808 531-3165
Actually they are not taking custom orders now, but they take special orders..simply means extra's..
I hope it helps...Good Luck!! MM Stan..

cletus
11-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Call them is the easiest and fastest way... they take special orders..simply means extra's..I hope it helps...Good Luck!!

I'd like to nominate mm stan as "UAS Enabler of the Year 2010".
Thank You Stan!

mm stan
11-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I'd like to nominate mm stan as "UAS Enabler of the Year 2010".
Thank You Stan!
Aloha Cletus,
Thanks, I'm a Kamaka man to the end....and their cheif enabler for the UU forums...he he
Sadly the year is comiing to an end, and my term might be up....maybe you'll take over eh....
Happy Strummings brother, Have fun and enjoy your ukes......MM Stan...

fitncrafty
11-06-2010, 06:41 PM
We may have to re-elect you for another term! I don't say that often!! (re-elect that is) You are very good at it!

mm stan
11-06-2010, 07:09 PM
We may have to re-elect you for another term! I don't say that often!! (re-elect that is) You are very good at it!
I think I may have enabled Eugene too...could he be my next successor..... his UAS for Kamaka is growing rather rapidly...

cletus
11-06-2010, 07:10 PM
Thanks, I'm a Kamaka man to the end....and their cheif enabler for the UU forums...he he
Sadly the year is comiing to an end, and my term might be up....maybe you'll take over eh....

If mm stan won't step up for the UAS folks, then maybe Lexxy has potential.

janeray1940
11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
People, don't encourage me. I mean it!

:)

cletus
11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
People, don't encourage me. I mean it!

:)

Congrats on one year! Schweet.

janeray1940
11-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Congrats on one year! Schweet.

Hey thanks!

The Kamaka concert was my uke-iversary purchase. And here I am already planning for the next one.

mm stan
11-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Actually we're all enablers and encouragers here...once you're hooked on the Kamaka's sound, there's no turning back...Have fun and Enjoy!!! Happy Strummings....MM Stan

janeray1940
11-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Just heard back from Kamaka. They cost $845 and can be ordered directly from the factory, and take 3-5 weeks to build.

cletus
11-08-2010, 10:54 AM
Just heard back from Kamaka. They cost $845 and can be ordered directly from the factory, and take 3-5 weeks to build.

Is there a discount for quantities of 3 or more?

janeray1940
11-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Is there a discount for quantities of 3 or more?

LOL! I think if I bother them one more time with yet another question, they will raise the price rather than discount it :)

mm stan
11-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Aloha JaneRay1940,
So are you going to pop for it?? jus wondering....no pressure..he he an equal oppertunity enabler.....jus 3-5 weeks....MM Stan....

janeray1940
11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
Aloha JaneRay1940,
So are you going to pop for it?? jus wondering....no pressure..he he an equal oppertunity enabler.....jus 3-5 weeks....MM Stan....

Ha, no pressure at all :) I'm still deciding - depends on if a little cash windfall comes my way this or not. I've also been eyeing a couple of soprano pineapples which would be a little less damaging to the wallet. Too bad "one of each please!" isn't really an option...

janeray1940
11-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Or to be exact - $915 out the door, including shipping and a hardshell case :)

I'm still tempted, but am holding off for now.

cletus
11-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Or to be exact - $915 out the door, including shipping and a hardshell case :)

Wow, that's not bad at all. Thanks for the info!
I'll be interested to see how long you will hold off.

janeray1940
11-12-2010, 02:53 PM
I'll be interested to see how long you will hold off.

Um, yeah. Me too :)

mm stan
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Um, yeah. Me too :)
Is there anything I can do to speed the process for you????? he he.....

janeray1940
11-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Is there anything I can do to speed the process for you????? he he.....

Got a crystal ball?? There's a bit of uncertainty in my life that needs to settle down before I decide if spending money is the smart thing to do right now.

Lexxy
11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Oh jane.. I heard the uke calling out for you in my dreams. (Yes i dreamt of ukes :P )

Stan, let's make her get it! heheheh. jokes

janeray1940
03-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Giving my old post a little bump in case anybody has any more words of wisdom to add on this. After surveying uke shops all over Oahu, and asking at the Kamaka factory, it seems like it's impossible to try one of these is person - the only way to get one is to place a special order.

While at the Kamaka factory, I fell in love with a little soprano pineapple. Except I don't really like playing sopranos. I am so, so close to pulling the trigger on the concert-neck pineapple... But I hate the "unknown" factor.

When I first posted this, I did get a couple PMs re: intonation issues and other problems with the concert neck pineapple, so that adds to my hesitation. But - I still think I want one :)

philpot
03-05-2011, 05:52 AM
Giving my old post a little bump in case anybody has any more words of wisdom to add on this. After surveying uke shops all over Oahu, and asking at the Kamaka factory, it seems like it's impossible to try one of these is person - the only way to get one is to place a special order.

While at the Kamaka factory, I fell in love with a little soprano pineapple. Except I don't really like playing sopranos. I am so, so close to pulling the trigger on the concert-neck pineapple... But I hate the "unknown" factor.

When I first posted this, I did get a couple PMs re: intonation issues and other problems with the concert neck pineapple, so that adds to my hesitation. But - I still think I want one :)

Let me see if I've got this all straight... you love Kamakas, especially concerts. You also love pineapples, but you don't really care for sopranos. So, along comes a concert neck pineapple... seems like a no brainer to me ;)

janeray1940
03-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Let me see if I've got this all straight... you love Kamakas, especially concerts. You also love pineapples, but you don't really care for sopranos. So, along comes a concert neck pineapple... seems like a no brainer to me ;)

Simple, right? :)

Except the intonation-issues thing is kind of a red flag, so I suppose the smart thing to do is to try to get a bit more info. And then order the darned thing anyway!

pdxuke
03-05-2011, 05:54 AM

It's a Kamaka! :-) I bought the pineapple strum unheard, and, as predicted--fabulous. If you think the concert neck would work, you are gonna love the sound out of the body-- I know you will and you know it too, in that Kamaka heart of yours!

janeray1940
03-07-2011, 10:15 AM
If you think the concert neck would work, you are gonna love the sound out of the body-- I know you will and you know it too, in that Kamaka heart of yours!

And therein lies the problem - I've heard some not-great things about the concert neck on the pineapple body.

I really, really loved the sound that came out of the standard pineapple I played at the factory (even with the factory strings, which I usually hate!) but I know myself too well - I play my concert ukes much more than I do my sopranos.

pdxuke
03-07-2011, 10:38 AM
And therein lies the problem - I've heard some not-great things about the concert neck on the pineapple body.

I really, really loved the sound that came out of the standard pineapple I played at the factory (even with the factory strings, which I usually hate!) but I know myself too well - I play my concert ukes much more than I do my sopranos.

Ah. Then the answer is simple. You simply must have a standard pineapple!

janeray1940
03-07-2011, 10:51 AM
Ah. Then the answer is simple. You simply must have a standard pineapple!

That's what I keep thinking too. It's a known quantity - what's not to love??

philpot
03-07-2011, 12:25 PM
That's what I keep thinking too. It's a known quantity - what's not to love??

I agree. I've actually never played a concert scale, but I love my soprano... If it had a few more frets I'd love it even more. So I can see a Kamaka pineapple being quite enjoyable, especially if you love the sound enough to want to play it ^.^