PDA

View Full Version : How long and how many?

Pages : [1] 2

fitncrafty
11-06-2010, 06:30 PM
Just curious.. How long has everyone been playing ukulele? and how many do you have?

Me: 3 months... 3 ukes

Samick- U50 - a real buzzer ( don't play much anymore)
Luna concert floral- LOVE her
Makala DOlphin- stripped down and being painted

P-co
11-06-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm something like two years and five ukes.

Lori
11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Well, I averaged about a ukulele a month for the first 6 or 7 months, and by the end of the year I had 9. I have tapered off a bit, because of space constraints, and saving up for really nice ones. I have been playing ukulele for 1 year and 8 months. Still loving it!

–Lori

nickman2
11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
a little more than 1 year....
with one ukulele and one in the mail on the way to my house

mm stan
11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
one every 5 weeks....he he sold a few, but it's startng to accumalate again.....and the UAS is strong within me...

Dane
11-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Comin up on 4 years, 2 ukes, but one is useless to me, so I only play my one uke, my baby.

cletus
11-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Playing the uke since March. A couple of ukes have passed through during that time, notably a vintage Kamaka.
This KoAloha concert I picked up in exchange is a lifetime keeper, a gem. I'll always have a backup uke around, but I think the KoAloha will be 'the one'.
But who knows? I am merely a ukulele novice enjoying the journey.

GX9901
11-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm coming up on 4 years next February. Man time flies. I still feel like I'm a beginning player.

I've lost count on how many ukes I've owned since the beginning. Probably close to 30. Right now I have 16. I thought I've put the brakes on UAS pretty good over the last year (only one purchase), but I just bought #16 and ordered #17 last week. :p

Nebs
11-06-2010, 07:37 PM
I've been playing about 2 weeks give or take and own only one.
I can't justify buying another so soon :o
It's so very tempting though. :D

Chap
11-06-2010, 08:04 PM
2.5 months....6 ukes.

"but this is my last one, I swear!"

SuzukHammer
11-06-2010, 08:25 PM
If my wife made you put this thread up to bait me, tell her nice try.

I got a uke in every port. at least.

kenikas
11-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Picked up my first uke a year ago last August and now there are 16 in the house, but 4 belong to my grandkids and several of the others are in various states of repair/restoration.

Sanagi
11-06-2010, 08:33 PM
One year, one uke.

I want to get a solid-body and an eight-string and then, I say with a straight face, I will be satisfied and won't need any more.

Well, a U-bass some day would be nice...

janeray1940
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM
One year exactly, unless you count the couple years I tried to learn to play when I was a little kid (a very, very long time ago!). Four ukes, down from five last week. Probably going to be back up to five any day now.

GreatGazukes
11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
Nigh on 12 months,

3 Ohanas, 1 Greg Bennet headed for Ebay (anyone want this Concert??), a red Mahalo for Christmas festivities, and a vintage Richter on the way. And truly I dont want a Kala travel Uke, no really I dont, gosh no, nah, never, shocking things, what do people see in 'em, not gonna happen, simply out of the question, pssssh.

mybote
11-06-2010, 09:02 PM
6 months....7 ukes.

P-co
11-06-2010, 09:05 PM
Wow there are some serious uke buyers out there, I don't feel too bad now.
Do most people go tend to buy more when they are getting into it then mellow out? I know I have the one favorite that I love playing and no real urge to get any more unless it was an opportunistic vintage or classic purchase, like the Kumalae Koa Soprano that came up on eBay and was just down the road. Those sorts of things are rare in Western Australia as we aren't the real hawaiiana capital of the world.
I don't have any desire to own a mass produced uke no matter how nice it looks. That being said I do plan to buy some cheapies to give to friends at christmas.

Hippie Dribble
11-06-2010, 10:39 PM
4 1/2 years; 1/2 dozen bangers, 21 good'uns

Dane
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
If I hadn't gotten such a nice sounding uke, I probably would have several more, but I can't justify spending the money when I have such an awesome one. So I use the money for my profession mostly. But I have spent some looooooong nights cruisin the interwebs lookin at ukes that I want. It would be great to have another copy of mine that I could string low G. Oh and it would be nice to have a bajolele, and a baritone, oh and a pineapple, and a super super soprano, and a resonator, and a 6 string, and an eleuke, and a risa stick, and anything that starts with a K.... I should stop.

vic2354
11-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Started in September so about two months and only one uke.
But I thought about getting a second one :D
Im glad to see im not the only one with that problem.

"my name is vic and i have a uke problem"
:biglaugh:

Manalishi
11-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Started around 18 months ago,own Two Sopranos,
Two Tenors (one of them an 8 string) a home made
ukulele-banjo. Have also made and passed on,two
biscuit tin ukuleles,a cigar box ukulele.Still own one
guitar but never touch it!

beergeek
11-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Well, I've been playing about 9 months and I had 8 ukes plus the one I'm building. Last month I sold 2 of them and gave one to my oldest daughter so I'm down to 5. However, I'm getting another for Christmas ;)

ItsMrPitchy
11-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Me 3 months and 1 uke. BUt I'm getting a new one soon.

Pukulele Pete
11-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Iv'e been playing about two years now. I have nine ukuleles and two banjo ukes. Two of the nine are $ 7.99 cent ukes from Christmas Tree Shop so they really don't count . Maybe they do count. After a little tweaking they are playable.

ichadwick
11-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Almost three years and dozens of ukes later. I have nine in my possession at present. The rest were sold, traded or given away.

dkcrown
11-07-2010, 02:22 AM
I have been playing for a year and nine months and now have 17 ukes. Yikes! I have a couple of wall hangers including a Polka-lay-lee and Singing Treholipee, although I do play the Treholipee. I have also sold three ukes. I had only one uke for the first 4 months I played, but after buying a Kanilea superconcert, UAS set in big time. I haven't bought a new uke in over 5 months however and am probably done for a while... I think :)

joeybug
11-07-2010, 03:14 AM
4 months - 3 Ukes

2 of those though were a week apart!

roxhum
11-07-2010, 03:26 AM
I am very impressed with the ones that only have one or two ukus. What constraint. I went crazy fast. I just sold one really nice Mainland that I got here on ukulele marketplace. I sold her/him to someone who was so smitten's with it I just had to let her have it. So, 3 months 3 uku's and I am done until I get so good at playing that I need a longer neck or different sound.

Rox

SailQwest
11-07-2010, 03:36 AM
When my husband and I started playing several years ago, we began purchasing a variety of ukuleles in an effort to find the "perfect" size and sound for each of us. We acquired 21 ukuleles.

We are now down to seven. Five for me, and two for him. We sold several, and gave the rest to family and friends. I feel bad about having five, since I really only play two of them, but two others have great sentimental value, and the last is probably destined to become a gift for someone this holiday season.

RyRod
11-07-2010, 03:46 AM
Almost 2 years and I just got my 5th uke.

pwcgecko
11-07-2010, 04:42 AM
I've been playing for six months and currently own 3 ukes, but have passed through 1 other.

Kem
11-07-2010, 05:07 AM
Uh...

...about twenty-five years...?

Granted, I play many instruments, but the uke was the first I regarded as all mine (my own...my precious), and I learned to play it competently quite early in my life. Granted again, my relationship with the uke has been on-again, off-again, mostly due to frustration born of the fact that my first two ukes--a Classic soprano and a Classic concert, both gifts from my parents--did not play in tune. I've always loved the sound and feel of the uke, but my sense of pitch cringed away from those terrible, terrible "harmonies." I've recently acquired my first good uke--a tenor--and the difference is astounding. I haven't really put it down in weeks.

So...twenty-five-ish years...three ukes. I've also ordered a guitalele out of curiosity, but it hasn't arrived yet.

haoleerik
11-07-2010, 05:22 AM
i have been playing on and off since i was like 8 or 10 or something (see avatar). i dont remember. probably only 4 or 6 years full time. i only have one uke, my pre-fire maui music soprano. love that little guy.

marymac
11-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Two months - six ukes. At the moment. I'm afraid I used to have more but I gave one to my nephew (he fell in love with my Mainland Mango Concert) and one to my mom (Kala Travel Soprano). I have three I'm planning to sell and a new one on the way (Black Bear concert). I think I'll end up with four. For now. Unless a Larrivee or a Kepasa falls into my lap...

Dane
11-07-2010, 06:26 AM
I am very impressed with the ones that only have one or two ukus. What constraint. I went crazy fast. I just sold one really nice Mainland that I got here on ukulele marketplace. I sold her/him to someone who was so smitten's with it I just had to let her have it. So, 3 months 3 uku's and I am done until I get so good at playing that I need a longer neck or different sound.

Rox

You should never get in the mindset that just because you are not an amazing ukulele player, that you don't deserve an amazing uke. I had the worst piece of junk ukulele to start with, (sorry oscar schmidt fans, don't like my OU3) and it was about a year and a half after I got it that I finally got a new uke, then I just took off and it was a whole new and wonderful thing to me! I hate the idea of "starter" ukes, or any instrument. A good starter instrument is whatever inspires you to play constantly.

Oops, end rant.

janeray1940
11-07-2010, 06:37 AM
I hate the idea of "starter" ukes, or any instrument. A good starter instrument is whatever inspires you to play constantly.

I agree. I started with a cheapie Ohana but knew all along that I would upgrade. What I didn't know was that a better quality instrument - heck, even better strings - would make me sound so much better that I would want to practice more because I loved the sound so much!

Kem
11-07-2010, 06:40 AM
I second Dane's rant. Trashy ukes are infinitely frustrating because it's impossible to make them sound nice. (There is, incidentally, a difference between "cheap" and "trashy"; some cheap ukuleles have good intonation. Many really, really don't.)

marymac
11-07-2010, 06:52 AM
I agree too! I don't believe in "starter" instruments unless that's all you can afford, in which case something is better than nothing. But getting an instrument you LOVE will make it a pleasure to practice/play and the more you play the more you love it etc etc.

Dane
11-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I second Dane's rant. Trashy ukes are infinitely frustrating because it's impossible to make them sound nice. (There is, incidentally, a difference between "cheap" and "trashy"; some cheap ukuleles have good intonation. Many really, really don't.)

Also some cheaper instruments can have a "good" or unique sound, but it may be that it only happens every 1/100 for those instruments or 1/1000! It's so complicated. Let's not even bother with the conversation and just pray to the ukulele gods that we may all recieve custom made ukes fit perfectly to our subconcious needs.

dnewton2
11-07-2010, 06:58 AM
I think its 3 years or so. Right now I have 3 ukes, one on its way (Koaloha of some sort as a 5th anniversry gift from my wife). I have had 4 others that have been sold.

cletus
11-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Officially down to one uke. Sold my Kala tenor this morning. It was my first uke, so bittersweet.

fitncrafty
11-07-2010, 07:16 AM
I agree. I started with a cheapie Ohana but knew all along that I would upgrade. What I didn't know was that a better quality instrument - heck, even better strings - would make me sound so much better that I would want to practice more because I loved the sound so much!

I agree with this.. I bought my first a samick.. sounded ok to me in the store (but what did I know, I couldnt play it) and within a few weeks I realized it buzzed etc.. I would always recommend buying the best you can, or maybe borrowing if you can someones uke. I sound better with my luna.. In the matter of fact I think it makes me sound better than I am...

Thanks for sharing everyone!

UkeSoCrazy
11-07-2010, 07:39 AM
I've owned an ukulele for about 15 years? I've only been really serious about playing one for the last 2 years and in those 2 years I went from having 1 to now owning 8.

vacuousnacho
11-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Two months, one uke. A tenor Lanikai. I'm really considering putting my xmas money towards a mainland banjolele when it comes out. It's 285 but damn I really want one. This lady at my church has one of those old school banjoleles from the 20s or 30s and ever since she let me play it I've wanted one really bad.

Just curious, what does UAS stand for?

fitncrafty
11-07-2010, 07:59 AM
Two months, one uke. A tenor Lanikai. I'm really considering putting my xmas money towards a mainland banjolele when it comes out. It's 285 but damn I really want one. This lady at my church has one of those old school banjoleles from the 20s or 30s and ever since she let me play it I've wanted one really bad.

Just curious, what does UAS stand for?

UAS=ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

wickedwahine11
11-07-2010, 08:45 AM
I've been playing for two years, and have four ukes. Still, even though I have four, I only play one of them. The other three are just wall decorations for me right now. Okay, the Pineapple Sunday probably gets played 2% of the time, but the Kanile'a and soprano are just wall decorations.

Ronnie Aloha
11-07-2010, 09:35 AM
I'm coming up on 4 years next February. Man time flies. I still feel like I'm a beginning player.

I've lost count on how many ukes I've owned since the beginning. Probably close to 30. Right now I have 16. I thought I've put the brakes on UAS pretty good over the last year (only one purchase), but I just bought #16 and ordered #17 last week. :p

Mya Moe, Perreira or Moore Bettah? : )

I can't keep up with you George.

holypasta
11-07-2010, 11:16 AM
three months, one uke: makala super-concert rochelle.

mangorockfish
11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
A year Oct. 2. Two Mainlands, tenor and concert.

jamdead
11-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Two years, 7 ukes and shopping.........

Public Enemy
11-07-2010, 12:37 PM
2 years, 3 soprano's, 1 Pineapple, 2 tenors ( 1 high G, 1 Low G ), 1 Pineapple tenor Eleuke, 1 Tahitian Uke (banjo)...and another electric Uke coming for Xmas...YAY

vacuousnacho
11-07-2010, 01:21 PM
UAS=ukulele Acquisition Syndrome

Hah, I would have UAS... if I had some money.

itsme
11-07-2010, 01:29 PM
One year and four months, two ukes, both tenors (one high g, one low g).

Papa Tom
11-07-2010, 01:46 PM
About four years, two ukes, both under $100. I play rhythmically pretty well, having been a professional drummer most of my life. However, I don't know a danged thing about scales or soloing. I've been able to put together a pretty intricate instrumental version of "Here Comes The Sun" that makes people think I really know what I'm doing. It's all smoke and mirrors, though. Aside from that, I haven't moved much beyond "Ain't She Sweet."

My next uke is going to be a banjolele, as soon as I can afford one.

70sSanO
11-07-2010, 01:50 PM
It will be 4 years in March 2011... Lord willing.

I have owned 3 ukuleles but not more than 2 at any time.

Done a lot of looking and testing, but so far I'm pretty happy with the ones I have.

John

Miss Michele
11-07-2010, 05:35 PM
I started at the beginning of October, or was it September? lol My mind is blank at the moment! Hopefully, I'll have the money to buy myself another one for Christmas!

btw, if you don't mind me asking, How do you like your Luna? How's the sound? I would LOVE to get the Dolphin Concert they have! Does it have any faults? Thanks :)

~Michele

Landshark
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
about a year and too many 7, 1 soprano, 1 travel soprano, 1 concert, 1 pineapple sunday, 1 tenor, 1 semi-hollow body tenor, 1 lap steel resonator tenor

Lexxy
11-07-2010, 09:09 PM
about 5 months, 3 ukes. A soprano, a concert, a Tenor. :)

vic2354
11-07-2010, 09:18 PM
So this thread is telling me its ok to get another uke. Specifically this mahogany goodness by mainland i have in the other tab on my browser. Maybe i should hide my debit card for a little while :D

Helms
11-07-2010, 10:09 PM
I've been playing uke for about 4 months and got two ukes so far.

ytmr
11-07-2010, 10:38 PM
It's coming to 3 or 4 months for me now, I've got 2 ukes, one's a Mahalo U30, and the other is the Kala FMC that I got last month, and that's the one I play most of the time. I'm in love with how the concert scale fits so perfectly for me! I've been eyeing the Mainland Mango Concert, it sounds beautiful, and I just wish I had the money for it so I could get it for Christmas... oh well, here's hoping!

fitncrafty
11-08-2010, 01:18 AM
@Missmichelle I love my luna.. its bright and loud. I almost returned it because it was buzzing after I brought it home. However the luthier did a good set up and adjusted the action.. sounds great now... I love it..

The only fault to me is it gets lots of finger prints and I don't get to play it as much as I want! Did I say I love that thing!

ichadwick
11-08-2010, 01:35 AM
... oh, and another baritone on it way by snailmail...

lozarkman
11-08-2010, 02:19 AM
3 years and five ukes. But have also bought six for grandkids and attempting to get them into learning/playing. THEN we could have a family uke band. 3 are quite promising, three struggling. Really love my Kala spalted maple baritone tuned C low G. GREAT sound and does make me feel like playing more -- and more -- and more. Lozark

Hippie Dribble
11-08-2010, 03:10 AM
3 years and five ukes. But have also bought six for grandkids and attempting to get them into learning/playing. THEN we could have a family uke band. 3 are quite promising, three struggling. Really love my Kala spalted maple baritone tuned C low G. GREAT sound and does make me feel like playing more -- and more -- and more. Lozark

hi Lozark

I think we are on the same wavelength mate re the family band....I have also bought ukes for all my other family members (daughter, son and wife) and they have all taken to it really well, especially my daughter...so nice to be able to share music with those you love, eh? :)

v30
11-08-2010, 04:17 AM
Playing 4 months.....just bought 4th and 5th. This is getting ridiculous. At least I know I'm not alone :)

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-08-2010, 04:59 AM
I've been playing about 2 years, and I have 3 ukes.

thisnthat
11-08-2010, 05:05 AM
1 Year, 1 uke.
I said to myself that if I played for a year then I could buy something new so now I'm going to save up for a nice concert or tenor size. Not sure which yet.

I'm not normally that restrained believe me but after years of having to keep clearing my clutter I'm slowly learning not to acquire so much stuff in the first place. It hasn't stopped me buying Ukes for other people though. ;)

mm stan
11-08-2010, 05:28 AM
Just curious.. How long has everyone been playing ukulele? and how many do you have?

Aloha FitNCrafty,
Started playing again for 3 1/2 years and I'm too ashamed to say how much I got.....I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your Luna...
Have Fun and Enjoy!!! Happy Strummings......You go Girl, Way to go!!!! Just can't wait to see your finished painted Dolphin.....MM Stan..

Mandarb
11-08-2010, 06:43 AM
four months/three ukes

janeray1940
11-08-2010, 06:53 AM
I'm too ashamed to say how much I got.....

Oh come on, do tell!

fitncrafty
11-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I'm with you Jane.. inquiring minds want to know! It's why I started this thread.. :)

DAPuke
11-08-2010, 07:22 AM
9 mo, 1 uke.

Chris Tarman
11-08-2010, 04:11 PM
It will be two years in January. I have 15 ukes.

Hippie Dribble
11-09-2010, 01:38 AM
I'm with you Jane.. inquiring minds want to know! It's why I started this thread.. :)

howdy Jane and Carrie...

myself, I too am curious about the ever elusive figure of mm....

He's given you guys a pretty good clue I reckon...read post #5 and post #69 and, as they say in the classics, do the math!!!:o

(sorry bruddah Stan...don't really want to rain on the parade mate...:o)

fitncrafty
11-09-2010, 01:43 AM
howdy Jane and Carrie...

myself, I too am curious about the ever elusive figure of mm....

He's given you guys a pretty good clue I reckon...read post #5 and post #69 and, as they say in the classics, do the math!!!:o

(sorry bruddah Stan...don't really want to rain on the parade mate...:o)

Wow.. Math.. WOW.. Lots of ukes!! Most shops don't have that many ukes! ;)

Hippie Dribble
11-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Wow.. Math.. WOW.. Lots of ukes!! Most shops don't have that many ukes! ;)

To redeem myself though Carrie I should say there was a thread started a few months back about number of ukes people owned, and MGM put a post up and said something like..."unless you've got 100 (or was it 1000:confused:) ukes, you're not even close to having the largest collection of ukuleles out there...to me that's just mindblowing...Stan still is lagging off the pace a little :o oh no, methinks I've dug a deep hole here...

Lexxy
11-09-2010, 02:20 AM
Oh stan's about to get busted! *Grabs popcorn* :P

bazmaz
11-09-2010, 02:38 AM
Not contributed to this thread yet!

Been playing about two years, and my collection grew as follows

1. Mahalo cheapie (yuk)
2. Vintage cheapie (yuk)
3. Moved on to a Lanikai LU21
4. Sold the Lani to purchase a Flea
5. Bought an eleuke
6. Bought a Mainland concert mahogany
7. Bought a Bruko 6
8. Sold the eleuke to buy an Ozark Banjolele
9. Bought a Bruko slimline
10. bought a dolphin
11. Sold the Bruko slimline to fund a Fluke

So a lot of comings and goings in this house. To make it easier, the collection is presently 7

T

Hippie Dribble
11-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Oh stan's about to get busted! *Grabs popcorn* :P:rofl::biglaugh:

roxhum
11-09-2010, 03:37 AM
Oh Stan, you have kind words for everyone on this list and here they are calling you out. It is true, you are nowhere close to the 100 count.

Cheers!

Rox

telebob
11-09-2010, 03:55 AM

I've been playing the uke since October 2003. In 7 years, I have 7 ukes... one for each year! One Kamaka 8-string tenor, a koa Fluke with PU and rosewood fretboard, a couple KoAloha's (a concert Sceptre and Pineapple Sunday), an Ohana CK-75CG, an Ovation/Applause electric tenor, a Kala thinline travel tenor (KA-SSTU-T), a K-Wave red Tele-style, and a Kala soprano (ASLASE-C).

rasputinsghost
11-09-2010, 04:41 AM
1 year and some change:

Kala soprano (first uke!)
Kala KA-ST (messed up, don't play)
Mainland Mahogany Tenor (regular player)
Vintage kay banjo-uke (sold)
Ohana sopranino (sold)
Stagg electric (don't play)
Keli'i tenor (regular player)
Morgan Monroe banjo-uke (regular player)
Kiwaya soprano (semi-regular player)
Kamaka tenor (primary uke)

Bought 10 in total, now I have 8. I'm trying to get rid of the Stagg.

haole
11-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Playing for six years, but only really playing seriously for about 2 1/2. Six ukes: Kamaka soprano, cheap Harmony soprano (unplayable at the moment), concert pineapple Flea, KoAloha tenor, Maui Music 6-string tenor, and an Aria spruce/rosewood baritone. My mom has a concert Fluke, and I gave my Makala dolphin to my cousin. Not giving my UAS a rest until I get a Moore Bettah, Mya-Moe, and/or Pineapple Sunday. :B

fitncrafty
11-09-2010, 04:56 AM
Oh Stan, you have kind words for everyone on this list and here they are calling you out. It is true, you are nowhere close to the 100 count.

Cheers!

Rox

Hey Stan.. you know its all in fun!! Truth be told we are all envious! I am certain that there is at least a bakers dozen!! ;)

:drool:

mm stan
11-09-2010, 05:34 AM
Hey Stan.. you know its all in fun!! Truth be told we are all envious! I am certain that there is at least a bakers dozen!! ;)

:drool:

But I only have 10 fingers and 10 toes....I think...he he and I know I have some more after that...
When I learn to count, I'll let you all know.....if I figure out how many I have, I might get scared you know....Thanks, MM Stan

guitharsis
11-09-2010, 05:44 AM
I've been playing since June of 2009 so next month will be 1 1/2 years. Have experimented with at least a dozen ukuleles during that time, most in the first year. Trying for size, type of wood, string preference etc. Presently have the four shown. Sold two mandolins in October and added the Kamaka concert and will add an MP concert spruce/Madagascar in the near future!

BBQUKER
11-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Since March of this year when i picked up a Lanilai Concert in Hawaii. Since then add a Kala Koa tenor.

Ronnie Aloha
11-09-2010, 08:06 AM
About a year and a half since I started again. Over that period I've acquired:
KoAloha Sceptre, Pineapple Sunday, Concert Pikake, Super Concert, Tenor, Soprano, Long Neck Pineapple Soprano.
Kamaka Six String, Tenor, Concert, Soprano (actually soprano was from the first uke go around 40 years ago)
Kanilea Tenor
Pono Mahogany Slot Head
Leolani Tenor
Kala Soprano Thinline

BUT, the best is yet to come. Its done and I'm awaiting shipment! : )

Bsteves
11-09-2010, 08:22 AM
I've been playing for about three months and I'm still using my first and only uke, a Makala pineapple.

It has become pretty obvious to me that I NEED a tenor, but every time I even think about getting another ukulele my wife gives me this look that lets me know that my WAF (wife approval factor) will take a serious hit if I buy one anytime soon. I think my only choice at this point is get much better and prove to my wife that the ukulele isn't just a passing fad of mine.

fitncrafty
11-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I've been playing for about three months and I'm still using my first and only uke, a Makala pineapple.

It has become pretty obvious to me that I NEED a tenor, but every time I even think about getting another ukulele my wife gives me this look that lets me know that my WAF (wife approval factor) will take a serious hit if I buy one anytime soon. I think my only choice at this point is get much better and prove to my wife that the ukulele isn't just a passing fad of mine.

Oh that WAF... my husband buys a LOT of comic books... which I don't really approve of (mostly the quantity).. so he can't complain too much.. but.. maybe if you continue to drop subtle and not so subtle hints Santa will bring you that tenor.. :)

Lori
11-09-2010, 09:00 AM
About a year and a half since I started again. Over that period I've acquired:
KoAloha Sceptre, Pineapple Sunday, Concert Pikake, Super Concert, Tenor, Soprano, Long Neck Pineapple Soprano.
Kamaka Six String, Tenor, Concert, Soprano (actually soprano was from the first uke go around 40 years ago)
Kanilea Tenor
Pono Mahogany Slot Head
Leolani Tenor
Kala Soprano Thinline

BUT, the best is yet to come. Its done and I'm awaiting shipment! : )
Nice collection of ukuleles Ronnie! Quality stuff. What's coming up next?? Which ones do you play the most?
–Lori

BobN
11-09-2010, 09:19 AM
I've been playing uke about 2 years.
I have 7, but 4 of these I built myself.
Built a tenor (Hana Lima) kit, butternut concert, pie pan concert and a banjolele.
Bought a Kala kiwi, Kala soprano and Lanaki concert.

I keep them in different parts of the house, barn and vehicles.
I could use a few more.

Thinking about building a pineapple out of curly yellow birch.

thomdawg
11-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Playing for 46 years, started to get serious in 1994 while spending lots of time in the hospital with my son. It was easier than a guitar in the hospital room. Started to get real serious in 2005 after having a ukulele custom built for me. That ukulele turned out to be Boat Paddle Ukulele #2. I also own BPU #3. I have a banjo ukulele from the turn of the last century and two homemade cigar box ukulele. I'm thinkin' there is another one coming this year at UWC.

www.fleabittendawgs.com

ukeeku
11-09-2010, 12:37 PM
4 years, I have had 20+ ukes in total, but my wifes limit is 15 before I have to either send them back (Review ukes), give them away, or sell.
I have 16 right now and about to get one more. I guess I need to start clearing the decks! stay tuned.

fhorndog
11-09-2010, 04:54 PM
15 months, 9 ukes.

"my name is Mitch and I am a Ukeaholic"

WAIT--I MISS COUNTED ----I HAVE 11!!!!! Maybe I do have a problem........

P-co
11-09-2010, 05:00 PM
You guys are all freaks! I might get out of the surfboard game and into uke's if this is the general pattern of ownership.
Enjoy them all.

Ronnie Aloha
11-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Nice collection of ukuleles Ronnie! Quality stuff. What's coming up next?? –Lori

Its a "Chuck."

As for what I play the most, I'm really good at rotating. I keep different ukes in different rooms in the house and play what is closest.

GX9901
11-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Its a "Chuck."

As for what I play the most, I'm really good at rotating. I keep different ukes in different rooms in the house and play what is closest.

Oooh, an MB? I think it is I who can't keep up with you! I want pictures and videos!

Lori
11-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Its a "Chuck."

Another good choice!
–Lori

Lexxy
11-09-2010, 06:02 PM
I think it's safe to say the legends in UAS stream, would be..

mm stan,
GX9901,
Ronnie Aloha..Anyone else care to chip in? Heheheh

thejumpingflea
11-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I think it's safe to say the legends in UAS stream, would be..

mm stan,
GX9901,
Ronnie Aloha..Anyone else care to chip in? Heheheh

I've been putting off posting in this for good reason.

TECHNICALLY, I have been playing for 5 years and have 21 ukuleles. There are 25 ukuleles in my house though.

TCK
11-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Oh lord, I do not want to answer this...but I have been playing since late June.
I have...
A Makala tenor and a Makala Soprano
A Kala Spalted Maple Tenor
A Kala Lacewood Soprano
A Maybell Banjo Uke
A Kala Mahogany and Spruce Baritone
A Tenor Cigar Box Uke (Resonator)
and three Soprano CBU's (one resonator)
And a 1940 Martin type 3M
10 Ukes in four months- ridiculous. I now own more Ukuleles than I know chords (just kidding)
They way I see it, I spend 3 or 4 hours a day playing while most of the world watches the crap they put on TV- in the long run I am saving money on entertainment.
Anyway, gotta spend money on something, it's no good when you die :)

Ronnie Aloha
11-09-2010, 07:05 PM
MGM has over 1,000 in his personal collection (not including the inventory that he has listed for sale.)

Dane
11-09-2010, 09:45 PM
MGM has over 1,000 in his personal collection (not including the inventory that he has listed for sale.)

well where is he, lets see the list!

Pippin
11-10-2010, 02:40 AM
I have had various ukes since about 1964 or so. Right now, I have 14 in the collection, but, I have given away a few dozen-- mostly to stage performers, various recording artists, and a few as gifts that I bought for that purpose. Some I have given to clubs for use with visitors, etc...

I have played seriously since about 1968 and had ukulele players on both my mother's and father's family lineage. I can't even tell you how many total number of ukes I have owned. I could list all the guitars and would probably miss a few of those, too. There are also other instruments, some exotic, some not. I play a bunch of other instruments.

Lexxy
11-10-2010, 02:44 AM
I've been putting off posting in this for good reason.

TECHNICALLY, I have been playing for 5 years and have 21 ukuleles. There are 25 ukuleles in my house though.

Sorry matt..I sorta left you out :)

GreatGazukes
11-10-2010, 02:52 AM
Dunno, But I kinda get the feeling everyone who has replied to this thread wishes the could have blacked out their name/avatar for anonymity. (I know I was not keen to do the math).

Still now its out in the open, lets all move on....

(to check product catalogues)

Hippie Dribble
11-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Dunno, But I kinda get the feeling everyone who has replied to this thread wishes the could have blacked out their name/avatar for anonymity. (I know I was not keen to do the math).

Still now its out in the open, lets all move on....

(to check product catalogues)

:rofl::biglaugh:

so true mate...methinks now upon the old slogan: one is too many and two's not enough!:o

smhoney79
11-10-2010, 03:24 AM
Playing for a little over 2 years, and still only one uke!!! I feel left behind reading all these posts about the lucky owners of multiple ukes...But I wouldn't trade my little baritone for anything. Found it in a thrift shop, rescued it, and have been loving it ever since. Amazing sound. I've even had offers for it but I'll not give it up! And I don't even know the brand...It's so old the label has faded.

Skottoman
11-10-2010, 03:34 AM
Playing for 3 years, and have 9 ukes. Latest one purchased May of this year (2010).
Cheers,
Skottoman

fitncrafty
11-10-2010, 04:22 AM
:rofl::biglaugh:

so true mate...methinks now upon the old slogan: one is too many and two's not enough!:o

This so made me laugh... reminds me of potato chips.. "once you pop you can't stop" only more like once you strum, always searching for the perfect ONE"! Ha.. Glad that I started this thread.. I never expected to laugh and smile over it this much!

Kem
11-10-2010, 04:52 AM
This so made me laugh... reminds me of potato chips.. "once you pop you can't stop" only more like once you strum, always searching for the perfect ONE"! Ha.. Glad that I started this thread.. I never expected to laugh and smile over it this much!

Of course, I believe the slogan originally applied to alcoholism. Thinking of the ukulele as an addiction frames it in a new and ominous light. Perhaps there is a relevant twelve-step programme out there somewhere.

Fuzzy
11-10-2010, 05:26 AM
Playing for about a year and a half.
Started out with a cheap Mahalo soprano with those terrible "fishing line" strings to see if I liked playing the uke, which of course I did, so I quickly moved on to a Kala KA-SEM, which I love. Currently waiting on the delivery of a banjo uke so I can play some old country tunes.

CountryMouse
11-23-2010, 06:59 PM

Ooooh, a year + 3 months; 11 ukes. See all my ukes in my .sig file below. :P I just bought a pink Makala Dolphin tonight! Eeep! And contemplating a Poiple Flea soprano!

CountryMouse

molokinirum
11-24-2010, 05:07 AM
Been playing a little over a year. Self taught too!
Currently have three ukes and play all three equally.

TCK
11-24-2010, 05:24 AM
Not sure I want to reply to this one...
3 months, ten ukes (3 CBU's I built though- I hope that those don't really count)

Eriquito
11-24-2010, 05:34 AM
About a year and half. I started on a horrible Hilo that my inlawsw thankfully upgraded for me to a Mainland Soprano which I love and I just got my Fluke in the mail today...So three in total if you count the Hilo.

BadLands Bart
11-24-2010, 07:31 AM
I am a one and one!
Been playing for one year and have one uke!!

Uncle Leroy
11-24-2010, 09:04 AM
Two weeks, two ukes. Am I sick?

fitncrafty
11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Not sure I want to reply to this one...
3 months, ten ukes (3 CBU's I built though- I hope that those don't really count)

Oh they count! You have UAS BAD!! :) Its all in fun! That's almost 1 a week.. At this rate.. you will have mm stan and a few others blown out of the collection waters!

fitncrafty
11-24-2010, 09:11 AM
wow.. It's probably the best sickness you have ever had eh?

marymac
11-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Two weeks, two ukes. Am I sick?

I'nm afraid so. It's UAS and it's contagious. It's not terminal though; in fact its invigorating!

Coconut Willie
11-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Been playing..or at least trying to play...for a year and own 2 ukes.
Think I need more..either ukes or playing time!!! (or both)

OldePhart
11-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Hmm, 'bout three months - four ukes. The KoAloha has pretty well cured my UAS though, 'cept maybe for an equivalent-quality tenor and a little Risa electric just for traveling. And... :)

John

lisaxy424
11-24-2010, 02:43 PM
A little over two years (what!?), and 3 playable ukes! (I do have 3 others, but they're just for funzies) :)

Dane
11-24-2010, 02:45 PM
I'nm afraid so. It's UAS and it's contagious. It's not terminal though; in fact its invigorating!

well if its so bad that you only even play and buy ukuleles then sleep deprivation and starvation/dehydration can be quite bad.

TCK
11-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh they count! You have UAS BAD!! :) Its all in fun! That's almost 1 a week.. At this rate.. you will have mm stan and a few others blown out of the collection waters!
I keep telling my wife they are smaller than accordions- there are at least 18 of those laying around...sigh.
UAS? Nope- I think I am headed for Hoarders

fitncrafty
11-24-2010, 03:11 PM
I keep telling my wife they are smaller than accordions- there are at least 18 of those laying around...sigh.
UAS? Nope- I think I am headed for Hoarders

Let me know when you need the clean up crew to come in! I volunteer and I will pass NO judgement at all!!!

Pondoro
11-24-2010, 03:17 PM
4 years as of September 2010. Lanikai LU-21 Soprano, Ohana SG-35 Soprano, Pono Concert, Lanikai Spruce Tenor, Soprano scale Banjo Uke of unknown manufacture, Harmony Tenor Guitar, Weymann Tenor Banjo.

armytrucker77
11-24-2010, 03:35 PM
well got a uke from a friend about 20 yrs ago but it went missing while in the military...kinda lost track of the ukulele and then about 8 months ago got a cheapy uke cuz i wanted to play again and now i got 4 ukes. soon to be 5 or 6 because i cant figure out if i want the zebrawood or the spalted mango uke. UAS has really set in because i keep checking the internet on which ones to buy and the wife keeps saying arent you tired of looking at those things yet.

ukeCANjam
11-24-2010, 04:36 PM
2 years, 1 uke :cool:

Dane
11-24-2010, 04:40 PM
2 years, 1 uke :cool:

4 years 1 uke, same boat. High five for resisting temptation

ukeCANjam
11-24-2010, 04:44 PM

Wow! And I thought I had it pretty bad haha. *Slap*

Dane
11-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Wow! And I thought I had it pretty bad haha. *Slap*

But Santa is visiting my house in december...... I hope, I think I've been nice ;)

OldePhart
11-25-2010, 09:51 AM

To paraphrase an old saying about guns..."beware the man who has only one uke, he probably plays it very well."

Dane
11-25-2010, 11:19 AM
To paraphrase an old saying about guns..."beware the man who has only one uke, he probably plays it very well."

Great quote. I'm not sure if that really applies to me but I sure know every nook and cranny of my instrument! =)

Sir
11-25-2010, 11:28 AM
About a year now, I own 3. A soprano, concert and tenor. For the moment, I've got most kinds of music covered.

Dane
11-25-2010, 11:33 AM
About a year now, I own 3. A soprano, concert and tenor. For the moment, I've got most kinds of music covered.

Now that's not UAS, that's being sensible.

KamakOzzie
11-25-2010, 05:39 PM
"Hi, my name is Bill, and I'm a uke-aholic."

I have been playing music since the 60's, but found the ukulele about 14 months ago. Have had 16, but I did sell one !
The current #15 is an old Stella banjo uke with a 7" head, given to me by a musician friend who knew I liked ukes. It needed tuners, nut, bridge, tailpiece and strings. Still had the original skin head. Got it up and playing two days ago.

ukecantdothat
11-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Four years / four ukes.

pulelehua
11-26-2010, 12:01 PM
A year and a bit. One ukulele. Well, two, sort of. I have a custom that's been made, but don't have my hands on it. Yet.

JT_Ukes
11-26-2010, 12:13 PM
With out even reading the original post I just have to say..

That's what she said.

JT

Leaf Shutter
11-26-2010, 02:03 PM
4 months. Start by finding the instrument for my son. I got the Anuenue U900 for him. Then I got the Kanilea Super concert. Next month I'll receive 4 custom ukes. One tenor from Mike Perreira, one Boat Paddle concert M cutaway, Two ukes from Thai Luthier in Tiny soprano and soprano longneck.

itsme
12-18-2010, 01:19 PM
One year and four months, two ukes, both tenors (one high g, one low g).
Um, make that a year and five months and three ukes. My Kala thinline spruce top (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39210-FS-Kala-Mahogany-Thinline-Travel-Tenor) that I bought in the Marketplace arrived last night. :D

So I have "the three tenors" (mahogany, cedar and spruce). Now the burning question is whether the Kala will stay with high g or go low.

andywergedal
12-18-2010, 01:43 PM
8 years and 5 ukes. I've only regretted not having, an original vita soprano and a green mahalo that I gave to a friend. Total bought and sold must be over 50.

ksiegel
12-18-2010, 03:56 PM
About a month - that's when my father-in-law gave me his old Harmony. But I've also got that old Stella banjo-uke I bought 35 years ago - it has been wall art, but it seems like it is playable...

I got the Cordoba the week after Thanksgiving.

Waiting to see if I can afford the Riptide from MGM - that would be 4.

If my wife can keep buying yarn and knitting needles, I can keep buying ukuleles!

-Kurt

13jparker
12-18-2010, 04:16 PM
One year, five months. Three Ukuleles.

fitncrafty
12-18-2010, 04:24 PM
My husband buys comics.. I buy yarn.. he needs another hobby so I can buy more ukes....

Hippie Dribble
12-18-2010, 04:46 PM
My husband buys comics.. I buy yarn.. he needs another hobby so I can buy more ukes....

what kind of comics does he buy fitncrafty? For me, it's Peanuts, Archie, Green Lantern, Asterix, Aquaman and the odd graphic novel. Get him into golf or something...clubs are expensive if you're with me :)

rem50
12-18-2010, 04:48 PM
one month. 3 UKES!

fitncrafty
12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
what kind of comics does he buy fitncrafty? For me, it's Peanuts, Archie, Green Lantern, Asterix, Aquaman and the odd graphic novel. Get him into golf or something...clubs are expensive if you're with me :)

Batman, batgirl, wonder woman, spiderman etc... I've tried... he wants to do some art stuff.. etch glasses and such.. but I wont let him until he finishes painting my ukulele! :) He has no interest in golf...

itsme
12-18-2010, 05:48 PM
I can't tell you how much my husband spent on radio controlled cars. Now he just buys expensive computer parts and is into remodeling the downstairs unit. He spent upwards of a grand on ceiling fans and having them installed recently, he didn't bat an eye when I said I wanted to spend $120 on the Kala. :)

fitncrafty
12-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I can't tell you how much my husband spent on radio controlled cars. Now he just buys expensive computer parts and is into remodeling the downstairs unit. He spent upwards of a grand on ceiling fans and having them installed recently, he didn't bat an eye when I said I wanted to spend $120 on the Kala. :)

Isn't that GREAT!! In the world of Ukulele's $120 isn't really very much!! Keep adding up the cost of those ceiling fans!! :)

pdxuke
12-18-2010, 05:55 PM
12 MONTHS

11 UKES (currently--I sold a few early in my collecting.)

Of those 11:

2 are vintage (Martin + Gibson)
2 are Ohana Mahogany (SK35 and Sopranino)
2 are either all laminate, or partial (Kiwaya Ks1 Sprucehouse SO)
1 Tiki Concert Fluke with rosewood fretboard
2 Dolphins
1 Mahalo (red and decorated with Christmas stickers)
1 Kala Watermelon

+++++
For Christmas this year
Flea with Pineapple Design

and another wood uke that I'm contemplating now. Perhaps a Mele pineapple, or an Ohana SK50WG.

..BUT, I think I'm re-homing the Fluke in the marketplace soon. I'm a soprano man.

I consider the buying, playing, and re-homing of ukes the cost of my education, and part of my hobby. UAS can be fun! ;)

dianalele
12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
I've been playing 2 years, as of this month!

I currently own 2 ukuleles
I ordered another one... but its backordered, so who knows when I'll get it.

I have bought other ukuleles. but somehow I managed to muster up the strength to part with them after purchasing give them as birthday gifts.

Laura Stone
12-27-2010, 05:56 AM
I have been playing like 5 years and own 5 ukes. I have a Famous from Japan, an old 1930s Gretsch, an Oscar Schmidt that's been smashed on stage but am hoping to rebuild, my original (1st uke) Santa Rosa, an electric Eleuke and a Tenor Ko'olau. I love them all. They are all my babies. For an acoustic the Famous is so loud and for an electric the Ko'olau is sweet, clean and smooth:)

MGM
12-27-2010, 06:15 AM
got first ukulele when i was a kid never seriously tried to play it until about 10 years ago. i have well lets say I lost count at 1000...

marymac
12-27-2010, 06:18 AM
got first ukulele when i was a kid never seriously tried to play it until about 10 years ago. i have well lets say I lost count at 1000...

We're not worthy, we're not worthy...

Seriously - that's amazing Mic.

kevkwak
12-27-2010, 06:19 AM
9 months with a 6 month break. 3 ukes passed through me but only have 1 now.

fitncrafty
12-27-2010, 06:21 AM

Does you include the ones in your shop? Where do you keep that many Ukes? Do you have a favorite? daily player? I am guessing that you don't have names for them eh? :)

guitharsis
12-27-2010, 06:42 AM

Wow. That's impressive. We won't even ask how long ago you lost count. :) Glad you're feeling better. Happy New Year!

mendel
12-27-2010, 06:55 AM
3 months, one Ukulele. Ready for number 2 though. I'm going to get a custom concert from Bradford. It'll be a few months, but I am sure I will be thrilled with the final product from what his previous clientele have to say. I am lucky that we just had a baby and we are socking away to buy a new house otherwise, I'd have a few more Ukes already!!!!

Swedgin
12-27-2010, 08:07 AM
4 weeks and 2 ukes and a banjo uke I am most prod of.

dvep
01-17-2012, 03:20 PM
I've been playing for 6 months and I have one uke in my possession (Kala FMC), one uke on pre-order (Mainland mahogany concert), and one that I'm waiting for a phone call telling me it's arrived at the store (Ohana CK-75cg).

After this I hope to be done buying ukuleles until I'm a much better player and have more money to my name. I want to be in control of my UAS before it controls me! And I want to cherish the ones I have. Not to say that other ukes haven't caught my eye...but I'm going to be a good girl and control myself for at least a couple of years. Wish me luck, I'll need it!

808boy
01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Got bit hard Oct. 2010, had 20, gave 4 away......haven't SOLD any...................
Play all 16 every chance I can (5 one day, 6 another day etc.,etc.) I love all that I have, some are better than others though................................BO.......... ..............

efiscella
01-17-2012, 04:06 PM

5 months playing ....in that time purchased 10 ukulele's...... settled with 4 and 1 custom to be delivered in July (total 5 keepers)

myrnaukelele
01-17-2012, 04:46 PM
I started playing ukulele about 30 years ago. I currently have only 7 ukes.

mattydee
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
A year and a half and six ukes. But I've got my sights on two more...

Plainsong
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
I've been playing since about 2007, which sounds right because my first uke was a Koaloha pikake soprano, got it from MGM, and they were still using the Schaller tuners, but the switch to the better tuners was made not long after. Also, I last went home in 2006, and wasn't yet a uke player.

I've had many since then, but have settled on two main daily drivers in the Koaloha concert pikake, and Kanilea dlx superconcert, with a supporting cast of the Ohana sk38, Sailor Brand soprano plus misi, Risa uke solid tenor, and the Kala Mighty Uke as a beater.

I'd like to get one last final uke, a tenor, and I have a good idea of how many pennies will need to be saved for that one.

Manalishi
01-17-2012, 11:23 PM
Two and a half years,and I have the ukuleles listed in my signature
below.But I have also owned four or five others that I passed on to
friends,and I have built a banjo - ukulele and a resonator ukulele,as
well as two biscuit tin (cookie tin) ukuleles.I get the feeling that I
might like this little instrument!

paw123los
01-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Playing for about 5 years. I have 11 ukuleles and 12th (Makapili :drool:) is on the way :). That's a little too much as I don't play some of them at all and I'm thinking about selling 1 or 2.

CountryMouse
01-18-2012, 03:00 AM
Got bit hard Oct. 2010, had 20, gave 4 away......haven't SOLD any...................
Play all 16 every chance I can (5 one day, 6 another day etc.,etc.) I love all that I have, some are better than others though................................BO.......... ..............

I've been playing since August 2009. I have 15 ukuleles and one banjolele. I too love them all and try to make sure they all are in rotation and played frequently. They all have different voices and different personalities.

Mousie

MisterRios
01-18-2012, 03:11 AM
Seven months, two ukes: Kala and Ohana pineapples. Though I got the Ohana about a month ago, and am fiercely holding out for the elusive Ohana SK-38.

Cyril
01-18-2012, 03:17 AM
Something like a year and a half, and the 5th uke has just showed up 2 days ago.

That makes, mahalo U30, vintage Harmony, vintage plastic Carnival, Honu KT sps and the vintage Martin Style O

thesillydave
01-18-2012, 03:52 AM
also, around a year and a half, and...i think i am up 16 ukes...with my a vintage concertone banjolele as my newest addition.
mainly i play my kamaka concert, but i do try to play a little on several of the others...am at a point of wanting to sell off a few...but which ones!

3nails4holes
01-18-2012, 04:11 PM
about 2 years and i currently have 3 ukuleles.

a mitchell spruce top concert...
a mele kalia 6 string concert...
a koaloha tenor sceptre.

Drew Bear
01-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Seven weeks, one ukulele. Four others have briefly passed through my hands and dozens have been "mine" in my imagination.

philpot
01-18-2012, 04:43 PM
1 year 1 month, 3 ukuleles. UAS hasn't hit me hard ^.^

itsme
01-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Um, make that a year and five months and three ukes. My Kala thinline spruce top (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39210-FS-Kala-Mahogany-Thinline-Travel-Tenor) that I bought in the Marketplace arrived last night. :D

So I have "the three tenors" (mahogany, cedar and spruce). Now the burning question is whether the Kala will stay with high g or go low.
Oh, my, I posted that in December of 2010 and thought I was done.

Now I have 7 ukes (5 tenors, a concert Fluke and a soprano Flea). Does a Guitalele count? If so, make that 8. :o

janeray1940
01-18-2012, 05:01 PM
One year exactly, unless you count the couple years I tried to learn to play when I was a little kid (a very, very long time ago!). Four ukes, down from five last week. Probably going to be back up to five any day now.

Two years and three months as of now, and - hey look! - still four ukes :) My all-time high was five, though.

AKuker
01-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Six months, three ukes. A Pono soprano, Ohana concert and as of last week a Kanilea tenor K1-dt-pt, which is awesome!

FlyedPiper
01-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Something like 5 or 6 months. I've had 3 ukes come and go. I currently own 2.

bynapkinart
01-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Since late late June...so seven months? And five ukuleles! I need more, of course, but I'm working on it!

(the) Indigo Getdown
01-18-2012, 06:27 PM
About nine months, so far two (playable) ukes and hopefully another one on the way shortly.

old8oy
01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
2 months
2 ukes

I started with a Lanikai LU22C that I got off some guy on craigslist for cheap to see if I'd like it.
Just picked up a Cordoba 20TM-CE about a week ago and I'm extremely satisfied with it.

Loupin' Flech
01-21-2012, 04:25 PM
One year and four ukes:Mahalo soprano and tenor,Kala 8 string and a Greg Bennet baritone.Next up is a banjo uke.

Nickie
01-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Heck, I can't remember exactly, but I think it's been about 1 year, 2 months, 2 weeks, and 4 days... but not sure. Only have 2 ukes now, and the soprano I never see since a friend borrowed it!

consitter
01-21-2012, 08:25 PM
6 years and 3 ukes. BUT, I've only started playing seriously the last 6 months.

Hippie Dribble
01-21-2012, 08:36 PM
4 1/2 years; 1/2 dozen bangers, 21 good'uns

well what a difference a year makes. sheesh, good on me...

I now only have 3!!!!!! That is some serious remission right there. At least now I can feed the wife and kids something else except tap water and rice. :o

mm stan
01-21-2012, 10:25 PM

I now only have 3!!!!!! That is some serious remission right there. At least now I can feed the wife and kids something else except tap water and rice. :o

Bruddah Jon,
What??? only three..Holy smokies...but they are three high grade ukes..still you must be itching to buy more...But, how many you get on order now should I ask? LOL

Tack
01-21-2012, 10:58 PM
Hmmmmm

First uke about 6-7 months ago, now 2 in house and one being built :)

Tim670
01-22-2012, 12:05 AM
Started in 4th grade, now in 11th, so about 8 years with 2 ukes soon to be 3, should be 4 but my tenors bridge came flying off.

Lalz
01-22-2012, 01:00 AM
About one year. 4 ukes (see signature). Two more passed through but were returned the same day after noticing serious defects, and have been replaced by my current ones, so they don't really count.

I'm perfectly happy with them, play all of them regularly, and don't feel any particular need to buy more as I'm also interested in other instruments. Even if I did want more, my friends have put a ban on me buying more ukes for the next few months, so I can't. I had to sign a contract stipulating that I'd have to give away all my ukes to them if I happen buy one more (still not sure if they're concerned for the state of my economy, if they don't understand the purpose of having different instruments to play different types of music, or if they just want to rob me lol).

Once that ban period is over, I miiiight give away my Mahalo to a friend and replace it with a Peanut so I can plug my headphones in, play silently at night and not disturb the neighbours. But that's really nothing urgent.

Lalz
01-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Once that ban period is over, I miiiight give away my Mahalo to a friend and replace it with a Peanut so I can plug my headphones in, play silently at night and not disturb the neighbours. But that's really nothing urgent.

Scratch that. My neighbours are so noisy, I could hardly hear myself think while typing that. Replace with: "Once that ban period is over, I WILL give away my Mahalo to a friend and replace it with a Peanut so I can plug it to my LOUDSPEAKER, play REALLY LOUD at night and GET BACK at the neighbours." LOL

fitncrafty
01-22-2012, 01:56 AM

Wow my friend, I almost fell out of my chair!! Holy cow!! Good for you. That resonator is amazing for sure! Have you kept a tally of all that have come and gone? if so do you feel like Tassie ukulele source? :)

flyingv8
01-22-2012, 01:58 AM
Hi, Been playing for a week, every day every chance I get. I should be playing right now instead on goofing on the internet, I would rather be for sure but I have to check in here right? I own an Aneuneu Gerald Ross III CE Tenor and I love it! Great tone even though it is quieter than my sons pineapple soprano, and great intonation. It is a very nicely made instrument and I love holding it, playing it and just looking at it. I'm a long time guitar player so the ukulele is fairly easy for me to play, just have to get my mind working to remember the fretboard and chords. I already learned 2 songs!
Later,
Don
Erie,PA

PedalFreak
09-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Was thinking about a thread like this, and found it :)

I think I just had my 13th Anniversary for playing the uke :) Bought my first one on eBay in 1999. Always loved all things Hawaii, so I had to get and learn this instrument.

I've got more ukes now than I did when I started, but a lot less than I did a couple years ago :)

janeray1940
09-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Two years and three months as of now, and - hey look! - still four ukes :) My all-time high was five, though.

As I near the 3-year mark, I'm slightly amused to say "still four" :)

Bob Bledsoe
09-06-2012, 01:58 PM
One year, one uke. It's starting to look like Willie Nelson's guitar.

Markr1
09-06-2012, 02:14 PM
14 months and 14 ukes and holding.

KamakOzzie
09-06-2012, 04:11 PM
"Hi, my name is Bill, and I'm a uke-aholic."
I have been playing music since the 60's, but found the ukulele about 14 months ago. Have had 16, but I did sell one !

Another 21 months brings the total to 29. The Martin baritone just came today. :rolleyes::);)

Bill

Fermin
09-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I guess I'm the conservative here. I've been playing for two years and only have one uke (or two, depending on how you count). Only now I'm getting two more made. And one more if the plastic uke on kickstarter gets its funding, which seems unlikely now unless it gets a lot of extra publicity.

Teek
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
I've owned and then sold more than I currently have now, but if my luck holds there may be a very cool uke in my near future. It will be an old friend too. I have five tenors (two four strings, two six strings, and a Risa LP) and two concerts, plus six sopranos that are gradually being re-homed.

BIGDB
09-06-2012, 07:40 PM
8 months and only 1 uke

kirbo
09-06-2012, 08:11 PM
I've been playing about 8 months now. I've had a total of 4, but sold 2. I've decided that I'm only going buy one more. A nice custom, and that will be it.

marymac
09-06-2012, 08:37 PM

Awesome Eugene! You've done great.

I'm a lot lower on the uke scale meeself. A measly 10 ukes! All time high? I've probably sold at least 20 ukes, maybe more. Plus 3-4 guitars. Sooooo - never had them all here at once but have probably owned 30U+6G. See why I'm happy I'm down to 10 ukes? The current batch is my core collection. Whittled down (sometimes painfully) from all the beautiful ukes that have passed through my hands in my quest for the perfect uke. Little did I know that there are dozens of perfect ukes! My only planned future uke is a Moore Bettah. Someday you will be mine, my little pritty....*cackles with glee*

Lalz
09-06-2012, 09:22 PM
Somewhere around 1.5-2 years, don't remember exactly
5 ukes right now + one more on the way (last one?)
Previously returned one after just one day + gave my very first one away to a friend

Pundabaya
09-06-2012, 10:03 PM
Since the end of April, so 4 and a bit months. I've had two, started with the ubiquitous Makala Dolphin (in black) then got a concert scale Fluke (in Lava, so again black).

I love the Fluke to bits, but I gave the Dolphin to a friend's five year old daughter cos she fell on love with it. I miss the soprano uke-tastic sound though, so I'm thinking of getting a Bruko.

sillymonky
09-07-2012, 01:43 AM
Month and a half - 3 ukes. I feel like I need my first ukulele anonymus meeting or something. But, I'm hoping, once I get the electric Mainland I want, and my U bass (I REALLLLLLLY want a U bass...not that I know how to play it), I should be good for a while. Though I might also replace my mahalo for a dolphin. They're like kids though - I'd find them hard to part with.

I figure I'll learn a few more songs before going there though. Just cause.

savagehenry
09-07-2012, 02:15 AM
I've been playing about 8 months now. I've had a total of 4, but sold 2. I've decided that I'm only going buy one more. A nice custom, and that will be it.

We've all said just one more, it will always be just one more.... Hahaha

kirbo
09-07-2012, 04:34 AM
We've all said just one more, it will always be just one more.... Hahaha

You're right. It's only been a day and it seems that I now NEED a Flea. So, really just 2 more. A Flea and a Moore Bettah. Then I'm done. For real this time.

Tailgate
09-07-2012, 04:42 AM
2 months, 4 ukes.. having alot of fun! Just got the 4th this week.. Pono hog tenor.. I have them all hanging on the wall by swing string hangers and the wife hasn't even noticed that there's now a 4th! When she finally does, I'll use her 'new outfit' standard reply.. 'OH, THAT OLD THING, I'VE HAD IT FOR MONTHS'...

Wooville
09-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Been playing Uke for nearly 2 years, now have 4 Ukes, but looking for my next one!

Coleton33Music
09-07-2012, 04:06 PM
1 year, 3 Months
3 ukuleles purchased
1 Scrapped
2 ukuleles made.

Total: 5 ukuleles

-Coleton33music

Lideruke
09-07-2012, 04:12 PM
6 months, and I have 6 ukes. I've owned 11, but sold 2 and returned 3.

J-dawg5
09-07-2012, 08:02 PM
9 months and 3 ukulele, hopefully a beautiful Pono in the nex 3 moths!!!

jesatl13
09-08-2012, 01:27 AM
8 months, 8 ukes...

The Orange Mage
09-08-2012, 04:24 AM
A little over three months, two ukes, looking to make it three ukes by the end of the year! Maybe four!

devinrigg
09-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Within the first 3 months after I got my first one as a gift I had bought another one and borrowed two from friends that I ended up keeping for over 2 years before I eventually passed them along. I've been playing for about 4 years now, but since I recently moved to Russia I was only able to bring one with me; the rest are at my parents' house back in San Francisco. Not sure if I can find any shops around here, but I'd love to find out if there are any uke players around. Think I might have just become more of a rarity ;)

JerBear
09-08-2012, 04:57 AM
3 weeks, 2 ukes

Well, as soon as the concert leaves the FedEx building. It is in my city and almost mine!

ichadwick
09-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I don't know if I ever responded to this on some earlier page (can't read through 23 pages of posts...), but this month will mark 4 years and seven months since I started playing ukulele. I started with tenors, tried concerts and even sopranos, but went back to tenors. Then about two years ago I 'discovered' baritones were my favourite scale.

Last year I discovered four-string cigar-box guitars, and this year I discovered tenor guitars. Both can be considered long-scale ukuleles.

efiscella
09-08-2012, 01:54 PM
One year this month. Have purchased 18 and now have 8. Looking to sell my perfect Pono RTSHC soon and maybe the Pono MPSHT in the near future.

VaGoddess
09-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I've been playing about 6 months and have a Concert & Tenor

Phil-NYC
09-08-2012, 04:36 PM
This is great because I thought my buying 4 ukuleles in my first month was nuts, but now I see it's just average. I'm sure I'll shed some and pick up more as my playing improves.

marymac
09-08-2012, 05:56 PM
This is great because I thought my buying 4 ukuleles in my first month was nuts, but now I see it's just average. I'm sure I'll shed some and pick up more as my playing improves.

This tickled my funny bone because it really exemplifies what we all think when we discover that there are other people who think like us. The good news is that you've found a community that totally gets it. The bad news is that it's still nutty! Welcome to the club :)

peaceweaver3
09-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Love this thread and thought I'd chime in! Been playing on and off for 10 years (GEE!), seriously (What?) for 3, and have one uke. I've had others and am looking at some... But Herself is disturbed at the prospect...

peaceweaver3
09-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Nigh on 12 months,

3 Ohanas, 1 Greg Bennet headed for Ebay (anyone want this Concert??), a red Mahalo for Christmas festivities, and a vintage Richter on the way. And truly I dont want a Kala travel Uke, no really I dont, gosh no, nah, never, shocking things, what do people see in 'em, not gonna happen, simply out of the question, pssssh.
Me sits here thinking about preciousssssssssssss! :D

Garydavkra
09-28-2012, 08:55 AM
I've been playing since June and I have three ukuleles. All three were bought for a good reason. The first uke is a tenor. It's the first uke, got to start somewhere. The second is a a baritone. I play guitar so I can use the guitar chord shapes as well as the uke shapes on the baritone plus I like the sound. The third uke is a tenor strung with a low G. I love the tone and I think it matches my voice better. I have no desire for anymore ukes. I just want to play them now and how fun.

kvehe
09-28-2012, 09:27 AM
Seven months of ownership, one month of playing; a lot.

Uke Whisperer
09-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Update:
Now it's been 19 months.
Just added an OHANA TK-80 Tenor to collection yesterday. That makes 7.

OldePhart
09-28-2012, 01:28 PM
Update:

Somewhere between 2 and 3 years: 2 sopranos, 2 longneck sopranos, 2 concerts, 2 tenors, 1 baritone...hmm...looks like I'm short a baritone I better do something about that...

Tailgate
09-28-2012, 01:40 PM
3 months 5 ukes

Ben_H
09-28-2012, 10:15 PM
5 months and up to 5 ukes but will shortly be back to 1 working and 1 broken Dolphin soprano and a baritone.

mds725
09-28-2012, 10:24 PM
My three-year anniversary is October 22. I have 23 ukuleles and a tenor guitar, with a Mya-Moe six-string baritone and an electric tenor guitar on the way. I recently sold my Lanakai eight string and I'm trying to sell my Ohana mahogany baritone.

Linho
09-28-2012, 10:48 PM
18 months.

1 Sopranano
1 Sopranino
1 Soprano
1 Sopran Concert Scale
1 Tenor Scale Harp Ukulele

I think, thats okay. Less than one Uke per size. :)

The Orange Mage
09-29-2012, 12:59 AM
A little over three months, two ukes, looking to make it three ukes by the end of the year! Maybe four!

Update: Since this post I acquired a Rogue Baritone, and just bought last night a Pono MBD. Four it is!

Tunguy
06-16-2018, 09:17 AM
About 2 years and 5 ukuleles
Kala mahogany soprano
Ohana soprano
Washburn concert
Electric uke ( forgot the name - it is my office at work)
And a “cheapie “

Tunguy
06-16-2018, 09:20 AM
Oops time really flies- I see that I have been a member since Aug 2015 , so I have been playing for 3 years, but I still feel like a beginner- that is certainly how I describe myself!

ukantor
06-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Twenty-two years; twenty-two ukuleles! Crikey! After such a long time, I should be a much better player than I am.

John Colter.

Croaky Keith
06-17-2018, 12:27 AM
Two & a half years, & the same amount as I had the last time I counted them. :D

Since finding & getting my two long neck concerts, I now have what I had been looking for all along, so my UAS has ended..........now I need to learn to play them. ;)

RafterGirl
06-17-2018, 02:50 AM
1 year .......5 ukuleles. Several more have come & gone during that year, but these 5 are keepers.

melensdad
06-17-2018, 03:11 AM
2 years playing uke. 4 ukes, but I basically play only 3 of them.

#1 ... The concert size Lanikai TunaUke, all solid spalted mango, which was my starter uke, sits mostly unused. Its a stunning beauty, an older/discontinued model that was formally from the top of their build range, it plays very well, set up is perfect for me. It is balanced pretty well but a bit heavy; I blame some of that weight on the factory installed pick-up, Fishman pre-amp & battery weight. I don't regret buying it or owning it, I just rarely take it out of the case. I'd sell it if someone wanted it, not that I'm looking to sell it, but...

#2 ... I love playing my Romero Creations flamed & spalted solid mango Tiny Tenor, the sound is so rich, loud and full and wonderful. Its probably my favorite.

#3 ... My aNueNue Custom Maui Mango III is a wonderful solid tone wood clear grain mango tenor, plays beautifully and sounds very nice, a brighter punchier tone than the Tiny Tenor, and a little quieter too. Love this one too. It is beautiful in every way.

#4 ... The Magic Fluke concert size Fluke that stands next to my easy chair probably, by default, gets played the most. It is never in a case, regardless of season, so it is always handy and close by, gets picked up at random, strummed, and put back down, just because it is always there waiting to be played.

At this point I really don't covet to many other instruments. I'd love a Kala Elite Parquetry, but there is no logical reason for that love, its just different and I think it would be nice to have. Might by a Romero Creations The Replica at some point, they make an all solid cedar top with solid mahogany back & side model that looks nice and I don't have a cedar/mahogany uke ... but I might be just as happy with a Cordoba 32T, which is also all solid, also designed by Pepe Romero Jr, and is cedar over rosewood and can be found at 1/2 the price. I wouldn't buy both, but I'd consider either a nice addition. The OUTDOOR UKULELES tenors also interest me, not for their sound, but just to have one that I can leave out at the pool house and not worry about. My dream ukulele is an aNueNue Moon Bird tenor. Some day. Some day.

ripock
06-17-2018, 03:11 AM
A little over three years. I have five instruments: for re-entrant playing a kamaka long neck tenor, for linear playing a Rob Collins long neck tenor (arriving next month or thereabouts), a Kala baritone and a tenor guitar both with Chicago tunings, and a four string cigar box guitar tuned to open D7.

edit: I forgot that I also have a clear polycarbonate soprano. I think the brand is Waterman. It is obviously an outdoor uke but I never play it because I don't like the way it sounds: it sounds off to me, especially the G major chord, but when I use the tuner, it says it is playing GCEA.

Erok123
06-17-2018, 03:53 AM
6 months here. 1 soprano (Kala KA-15S)

I was also seduced by the dark side, and ordered a Yamaha GL-1 guitelele. But there is definitely a nice solid wood concert uke in my future.

Rllink
06-17-2018, 04:48 AM
Four years two months into it, I've bought three ukuleles and won two Watermans. I gave the Watermans away.

Swamp Yankee
06-17-2018, 08:25 AM
I've been playing ukulele on and off (mostly off) for 13 years or so since I bought an inexpensive solid hog concert from Music Guy Mike off of Ebay. I still have that uke, and a 1920s 17 fret tenor banjo I play as a uke, set up with nylgut strings. In the past month or so I've set aside my guitars in favor of ukuleles and quickly acquired 3 more ukes: two tenors and my first soprano. I'm at the stage now where I'm thinking how many ukes I could get with the funds from selling just one of my guitars.

UkingViking
06-17-2018, 08:45 AM
Playing for 3 years, been through 6 ukuleles, of which I still have 4.
I might buy more...

Jerryc41
06-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Since 2014. After some selling and buying, I'm down to just thirty-eight.

EDIT: Make that 41 now.

technicalta
06-18-2018, 02:56 AM
I've been play for about a year and currently have two ukes with a third one coming in tomorrow.