"Daniel" (Elton John uke cover)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score

According to Songfacts website, "The lyrics were written by Bernie Taupin, Elton's writing partner. When Elton wrote the music for it, he chopped off the last verse because he thought the song was already too long. This completely changed the meaning of the song, as the deleted verse explained that "Daniel" was a Vietnam Vet who returned home after the war, lost his eyesight, and decided to leave America and go to Spain. With the last verse chopped off, it became a fairly vague story of two brothers who part ways."

Hope you like my rendition!

Last edited:
flawless... loved it.

John, Much Mahalos fo dis and as usual - perfect!

Aloha John,
One of my favorites from way back them, good karaoke song too....Nice job buddy as always!! As always you make me want and do pull out my uke and play the song...
I guess it's a way of saying...I really enjoyed it!!! Mahalo Bruddah!! MM Stan....

Mahalo, Stan! One of the best songs from one of his best albums!

Thanks, Katie and Gary! I read that Elton John and Bernie Taupin lost the missing lyrics, so looks like Elton will never do a special "complete" version of the song. But I love the song just the way it is!

Nice job. If you ever saw Elton John when he was on Inside The Actor's Studio, he was asked by an audience member to play it as the man had a good friend named Daniel that died in a car accident. I remember crying along with the guy while Elton (flawlessly as always) sang/played it for him.

Thanks for doing justice to a great song. :)

decided to leave America and go to Spain. With the last verse chopped off, it became a fairly vague story of two brothers who part ways."

Wow, very sweet cover of an awesome song. Enjoyed it greatly.

Mahalo, WickedWahine11 and Gmoney! I'd like to see that Actor's Studio session!

Eh John, so what next on da project list? Love to hear more Kalapana stuff . . . You remembah one group called Summer (late 70's)? Locals from SoCal and had one album (self titled) and produced by DJ Pratt (?). One song was called Love Will Forget.

Howzit, Kanaka916! I remember Summer! They had a Kalapana-ish sound. I liked their songs "Understanding to the Man" and "Forest." I didn't remember "Love Will Forget," but I just listened to it (I got their "In Malibu" CD). Nice song! I'd like to try "Understanding to the Man" someday, but got loaded songs on my to-do list. Ha ha! Gotta do a Christmas song pretty soon!

Yea, the starting lyrics were something like this (slow % mellow) and den picks up with the guitar intro . . . Anywayz, if you evah get da chance, would be so cool. Thanks Brah! BTW, you wen FHS, yea? Shoots, found dem on YT . . . Love Will Forget, Forest, Firefly and Love Is.

I just couldn't understand
What she was trying with this man
Because she captured my heart
And she just let fly away
Like a bird on it'w way to a rising sun
She's a rising sun . . .

Last edited:
Yes, Farrington and Kalakaua Intermediate. My class was one of the last to graduate from Kalakaua when the big wooden building was still there (before it burned down)!

According to Songfacts website, "The lyrics were written by Bernie Taupin, Elton's writing partner. When Elton wrote the music for it, he chopped off the last verse because he thought the song was already too long. This completely changed the meaning of the song, as the deleted verse explained that "Daniel" was a Vietnam Vet who returned home after the war, lost his eyesight, and decided to leave America and go to Spain. With the last verse chopped off, it became a fairly vague story of two brothers who part ways."

Hope I like it? Are you kidding? It's beautiful. Could listen to you sing this every day. Thanks.

Top Bottom