Who Goes Sportfishing?!

dj_isa

Reaction score
as a matter of fact... for a chick, I DO... brother got me into it.. post some of your recent or greatest catches.. i will post more pics in june of 40+lb (some have been 200+lbs) albacore tuna, blue fin tuna, dorado, wahoo, white sea bass, yellowfin, yellowtail, & grouper PROMISED hook-ups.. me and brother are going on an 8-day sportfishing cruise.. so here are pics of yellowtail, squid, bonito, & barracuda...

i've also caught many body feeder such as sculpin, calico bass, sheepshead, trigger fish, etc...

71 yellowtail on an overnight to catalina - 10/person is limit
l_6cb40614a9bdbd23e4c5e1600a286076.jpg

humboldt squid run.. i won the jackpot for the biggest catch
l_2c7c4699564924e318ff27385d0c11fc.jpg

first time i went sportfishing - barracuda & bonito - this is how i got into the sport...
l_4fa9ad20ade6003bfc6b145e07b1b514.jpg

l_b346c582928f99483df8a1f681614039.jpg

Last edited:
ahhh a woman after my own heart.

i dont do party boats anymore. i have my own. and its been over a year since i did some serious fishing. but lets see if i can dig up some good ones...

nothing big, really. just some cool shots of some decent fish. i guess i took down all the yellowtail pics that i had.

shortfin corvina from shore during a grunion run on topwaters
picture 1

calico bass on live 'dine on my custom rod (i build too) in la jolla kelp forest
picture 2

ok sized bonito out in la jolla during a crazy bait boil on shallow running crankbait
picture 3

bendo on yellowtail out in la jolla (but got away)
picture 4

Last edited:
im from san diego. i dont frequent fishing boards as much as i used to. but there was a time that i was fairly well known in the san diego fishing community. not anymore though. i just havent had the time to fish anywhere near as often as i used to. but ive pretty much done it all here in san diego.

two tournament wins
kayak fishing
float tube fishing
boat fishing
fly fishing in kayak, float tube, and boat
... all in saltwater.
custom rod building
custom boat mods (turned a 15ft boston whaler into a center console fishing machine!)
pour my own lures
designed some of my own lures
tie my own flies
designed some deadly flies for san diego bay

hahaha for a good few years, i was a fishing FREAK.

Nuker..

Not much ocean fishing for me. Lots of lmb fishing. The lakes in SD are pretty fun...as you probably know. Looking to get a nice new float tube for the season....probably a "fat cat".

I don't fish but one of the clients at my real job is hanapaafishing.com. Same guy who does the Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine and owns the Hanapa'a fishing stores in Hawaii.

Also Nuke, those pictures are ginormous.

every once in a while i go camping with my friend and his family. all we do is surf/fish/dive/and fish. what we usually do is surf in the morning, then some of us will dive and some of us will fish. hardly do we eat the fish because we always bring lots of food to bbq and what not. what we do is when the sun starts to set we use the fish we caught as live bait to fish for ulua's. if you don't know what ulua fishing is its basically you get a pole, stick it in the sand take the line with the live bait out with a boat, put bells on the pole's, go sleep. when the bell rings that means its a bite and the battle starts! that can last anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours. basically the further out you take the line, the better your chances of a bite, but the battle is longer and the longer the battle goes, the more chance the fish has to get loose.

but most of the time we catch sharks. as exciting as it sounds its always a let down. we don't like to kill sharks but they almost always die, for being there all night, or from being dragged in by one of us. but when we do catch a ulua its a paaaaaty. and some ono food too!

sorry dude. theyre on my photobucket page. and i dont know how to resize using BB codes. does html code work here?

edit: ok i changed them to links. sorry bout that.

Last edited:
I don't fish but one of the clients at my real job is hanapaafishing.com. Same guy who does the Hawaii Skin Diver Magazine and owns the Hanapa'a fishing stores in Hawaii.

yeah, i've heard about that.. actually, on iamhawaii.com.. a lot of there video intros is hanapa'a hahaha

Wow... how did I not see this thread before? I live and die to fish. Whenever I go offshore it's usually for grouper, snapper, or kingfish. I'm really into light tackle inshore, stuff like trout, redfish, snook, and tarpon. they can get up to around 200lbs and jump and run like crazy! I'm really fortunate to live in the best area of the world for tarpon fishing. If you ever get the chance to fish for tarpon I highly recommend it.

I go out sport fishing whenever the opportunity presents itself. Do quite a bit of offshore here in San Diego for dorado/mahi , yellowfin, wahoo & yellowtail, etc... Fly down to Loretto, B.C., Mexico for sport fishing trips from time to time as well. I will try to dig up some pictures.

holy cow thats one nice ulua! you catch him from shore? how long it take to bring in?

It's a 95 pounder that took about 20 minutes or so. I use Shimano Trinidad TN50 reels, unlikes most who use Newell or Penn reels. The Trinis got the drags to put the stop to the massive runs! This was a shallow water fish, but not as hard a fighter as a couple other fish I have caught. I'll share more pics and stories later, back to work..hee hee.

havn't gone much this year, just on the kayak or in the bay.

Outside of La Jolla
2007_0310fishin0008sm.jpg

In Sd bay looking for something to get on my hook
2007_0311fishin0009sm.jpg

lil sharky off my friend's boat
2007_0318sundayfishing0013sm.jpg

Oh my goodness those are amazing pictures. I don't know any filipinos that live here in Winnipeg that don't go fishing. Actually I know one MY DAD believe it or not. Me and my brother go fishing a lot during the summer and winter I wouldn't call it sport fishing but we do go fishing!! I used to work at SIR/Cabela's and I was able to purchase a boat load of stuff at a discount. I haven't gone fishing as much since school started but I totally wish I could catch the stuff you guys are catching. Living in Manitoba you get the best fishing spots. I see a lot of people from the states and all over come to do "some" sport fishing...you catch a ton of perch,silver pike, goldeye, walleye, trout, silverbass, pickerel (my fave super yummy), catfish, musky (i don't go musky fishing...to expensive.$50-$100 baits I don't think so hahah), and my very favourite the infamous Sturgeon (they actually call them dinosaurs) I almost caught a sturgeon that was about 5 feet took me about 40 mins with a normal rod I was so careful trying to tire the thing out and 3m away I got excited and my line broke :( *NOTE TO SELF: MUST CATCH STURGEON* and a ton of other fishies!!hahhaa but yeah the catfish are great here there easy to catch, big and definitely put up a fight!! I'll look for some pics.

I love ocean fishing! go alot! No huge catches yet... Biggest ocean catch yet is a 25 albacore but no pic on my computer. I just recently went camping to the eastern sierras outside lone pine this past weekend and caught a nice sized German Brown. weighed in at 3.2 pounds :eek: biggest trout ive caught yet!
heres a pic

havn't gone much this year, just on the kayak or in the bay.

Outside of La Jolla
2007_0310fishin0008sm.jpg

In Sd bay looking for something to get on my hook
2007_0311fishin0009sm.jpg

lil sharky off my friend's boat
2007_0318sundayfishing0013sm.jpg

nice! a fellow kayak fisherman. i havent been on the yak in a long time. are you familiar with the guys from Plastic Navy? i used to be real active with them. but then i got busy with other things. but yeah (shameless horn tooting time), i won their first kayak fishing classic a few years ago. i still have the kayak that i won.
http://plasticnavy.com/kfc1report.htm

Top Bottom