PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this uke - is it even a uke??

bazmaz
11-07-2010, 10:38 PM
Found and posted this wonderful video of Steve Marriott (Small Faces, Humble Pie) from an old BBC clip playing what appears to be a uke (tenor? baritone?) but with six strings -

Does that make it a uke - I have quoted it as a uke on the blog, but happy to stand corrected

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/11/steve-marriott-humble-pie-on-ukulele.html

By the way - how glorious is that tune?

Kanaka916
11-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Pretty sure it's a uke, looks like 19 frets on the board, 1st and 3rd course doubled however I didn't figure out what tuning he's using.

Hippie Dribble
11-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Hey Paul

Thanks so much for sharing mate. That was awesome...Steve Marriott sure had some voice, eh?...just made the vocals look so effortless

bazmaz
11-07-2010, 11:21 PM
The man was a legend - love his voice - but aside from that - some mean ukulele picking going on there too!

Papa Tom
11-08-2010, 02:25 AM
Was that Peter Frampton (former Humble Pier) with him?

bazmaz
11-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Only guitarists I knew alongside Steve in HP were Frampton, who was later replaced by Dave Clempson - one of the two!

ps - this extract taken from one of his fan pages

During boyhood holidays to various seaside resorts, Steve would invariably win all the talent competitions. Usually the first his family would know anything was when he arrived back at the holiday home with a pocketful of cash. That and earning money by busking with his ukulele along the rows of beach huts.

mm stan
11-08-2010, 03:03 AM
Aloha Paul,
Definetly a 6 stringer....uke maybe one made in the UK??? good eyes Paul....sounded nice too!! Thanks for sharing..
nothing that reconize, looks like maybe a unknown maker type...

the52blues
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Definitely a 6 string tenor uke with the 1st and 3rd courses doubled. Can't get a take on the brand but it's definitely old. Could be a Martin? Nice sound though.

ukecantdothat
11-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Was that Peter Frampton (former Humble Pier) with him?

Not Frampton, more likely Clem Clempson who replaced the Boy Wonder.