Zoom Q3HD

brUKEman

Reaction score
Has anyone used the new Zoom Q3HD camera which is was upgraded from the Q3 to include HD video.

Everyone here said the Q3 has great audio but marginal video so I'm hoping this solves the problem.

Looking for a single unit I can record audio and video on that is better quality than the Flip camera.

My friend had the original Q3
His complaint was that since you had to prioritize visual placement, the sound would never be good. The mics would never be in the optimal spot for good recording
But it's a pretty good all-purpose recorder, certainly better than Flip cameras. The Q3HD looks pretty good!

I thought it hadn't been released yet. It does look interesting, though.

A better option may be to buy one of the new Kodak Zi8 pocket video cameras and a Zoom H2. The Zi8 is an excellent camera with HD, and you can put it where you want it and the H2 in a seperate place. The Zi8 has an input for a remote mic by the way, so you could just use a good quality external mic

A better option may be to buy one of the new Kodak Zi8 pocket video cameras and a Zoom H2. The Zi8 is an excellent camera with HD, and you can put it where you want it and the H2 in a seperate place. The Zi8 has an input for a remote mic by the way, so you could just use a good quality external mic

I'd agree with this.

I'd agree with that too, I've got a Zoom mic and owned the Kodak camera in the past before I started getting interested in recording myself, they would make the near-perfect pairing.

My friend also has the Zi8 lol
I'd record the audio separately. As in don't record with the mic plugged into the Zi8
I have noticed that the Zi8 seems to compress the audio, even if you're using an external device, though I haven't had a chance to mess with it enough to see if it's a general compression or if it's just a limiter. If you do record with the Zi8 with an external mic plugged in, set the audio input of the Zi8 to its lowest setting

Hi all, newbie here, I have a Zi8-At PRO24CM combo that I've been using for a few months. You can see 4 of my vids with the rig at http://www.youtube.com/user/waynestrain The Black and White vid was done with Panasonic cameras. I picked the Audio-Technica because it matched the gain structure of the Kodak better than the Sony ECM-DS70P which is a popular mic for this price range of cameras. Every time you turn on the camera it sets the gain to the default setting which is one notch above center detent. That works well with loud bands at close range, which is my main subjects. I've recorded acoustic instruments as well but don't have any on YouTube. If you check it out please comment. Thanks, Wayne Train

A friend is getting the Zoom Q3HD set up but I've heard the included software is very hard to publish with. Most people say they can't make it work. Kodak's SW has been working fine although it doesn't have much features. I'll try to put a link on his work if he can get it to work.

Top Bottom