Looking to learn the guitar!

ytmr

Reaction score
Well, I've been playing the uke, of course, and I've learnt the piano for nearly 10 years now. I was playing the guitar at a friend's house, and it wasn't as hard as I had expected, and I'm thinking of getting a guitar to play myself.

Would it be better to start with a classical or an acoustic? The acoustics do sound really sweet, but I've read that it's easier to start with a classical, so any suggestions?

I would suggest one of the inexpensive, better shortscale guitar offerings. I prefer the Seagull or Art & Lutherie (same Godin) manufacturer. The guitars are consider short-scale 24.9 ". they make a slim neck 1.72" which is very comfy in transition from Uke or a slightly bit wider at 1.8 ". The mini jumbo gives a nice full rich sound with the softer "silk & steel" strings. So it gives you some features closer to the Uke albeit a full size guitar. You will find transition to classical guitar usually involves a full 2" width nut/neck and the scale is painfully longer than a standard scale 25.4" steel string guitar.

For about $300.00 - 350.00 the Entourage Seagull series is one of the best deals, dollar for quality product out there. And I do appreciate these guitars are the leaders in using sustainable woods.

I was in your situation trying to decide on a classical v acoustic. I was fortunate enough that my brother had a seagull s6 folk that he gave to me, which kind of made the decision for me. I put some elixir extra lights on at the suggestion of my uke teacher and have been happily learning a few chords and strumming. Eventually looking to pick up some slack key. Best regards. I agree papi's recommendation.

I borrowed guitars from my friends, one classical and one acoustic. The result? I guess I don't really see myself playing the guitar long term! If I ever want that kind of sound, I guess I'll go for a baritone heh

Top Bottom