I was offered an interesting trade...

Skitzic

Reaction score
As some of you know, I pulled the trigger on a Kanile'a...and I'm trying to get rid of some of the others I have laying around.

I posted my NK-T on craigslist, and got an interesting trade offer. A Martin 5-15 with 'real mahogany' (I'm assuming that means not sapele).

I'm not (seriously) considering the trade**, but it is an interesting trade offer. I can't find too much info on the guitar except it has a short scale and a small body. Anyone know anything about this guitar?

I feel like I'd be giving him the short end of the stick if I took the trade (and I probably won't. I'm confident I'd rather have the cash than another guitar...especially after recently acquiring a Utar).

I asked for some photos and a serial number if possible. Waiting for a response.

Tah tah and thanks for your thoughts.

**Disclaimer: I really am not seriously considering this trade. The offer just made me go 'huh...' because from what I can find online these are usually priced in the $900 range and I thought it was random to try to trade for a uke that goes for $350 new. That is all

It's a mini guitar....probally mahaogany....Is it the 5-15GT model???
Small but playable..
Overall length 32"
Body size..16"approx long X 11" wide..
Width at Nut 1 5/8
Scale length 22 1/2
Model disontinued
Estimated Value New...Probally over thousand dollars...

Small but playable..
Overall length 32"
Width at Nut 1 5/8
Scale length 22 1/2
Model disontinued

I don't know about the GT part. The email didn't go into much detail.

I'm sure that there are real Martin fans that can answer this better, but FWIW...

All Martin 15 series guitars are all mahogany including the soundboard. All mahogany guitars have a following, but probabaly not the same as the typical spruce top guitar.

A 5-15 is a really small bodied guitar, supposedly smaller than a Little Martin.

From a value standpoint, you are probably getting a good deal, however, you would now have to sell it.

And if it has issues or something isn't right, you may just end up where you are right now, except you have an instrument that may get less interest and be stuck with it. Afterall it is not a D-18 that you can turn quickly.

No matter how nice you ukulele is, there has to be a reason someone is willing to trade a twice as expensive guitar for it.

John

No matter how nice you ukulele is, there has to be a reason someone is willing to trade a twice as expensive guitar for it.

John

That's what I'm thinking. They responded saying there is no serial number because it's a prototype, and they will send pictures after they get home from work. I know there are prototypes floating around out there, and if I were considering the trade...that would be a fairly large red flag for me.

There are "flags". I would be cautious...

I agree about possible flags with that prototype line,

however,

the Martin 5-15 of recent years is a sweet tiny guitar. I think the scale is about 21 inches, a little longer than a baritone uke.
It can be tuned standard E or "terz", G .

I think Marty Robbins played a Martin 5 size - probably a 5-28 or 5-18

It's a really sweet little monkey - wish I had one.
martin_size_5_01.jpg

Specs here: http://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/choosing/guitars.php?m=5-15&p=i

I do not deal with Martins. I have a social conscience. Any company that has a history of hiring Pinkerton agents to kill their own workers, like Martin did? And then devastated a whole community in Sweden the way they did when they bought out GOYA? Own a Martin? Shame on you!

Well, the pictures should come later tonight. Like I said, it's more curiosity than an actual desire to make the trade.

I do not deal with Martins. I have a social conscience. Any company that has a history of hiring Pinkerton agents to kill their own workers, like Martin did? And then devastated a whole community in Sweden the way they did when they bought out GOYA? Own a Martin? Shame on you!

Whoa!!! Where have I been? I had no idea Martin was the Blackwater of guitar makers!

I don't want to hijack this thread...

I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't own a Martin or Goya and have never really followed either company, but I can't find anything anywhere that supports anything in your post. From what little research I just did Goya was owned by a number of companies long before Martin was ever involved. However, HC Levin who initially made Goya guitars, did work at Martin before he started making Levin guitars in Sweden.

It has to be one of the most bizarre things I have read on this forum.

John

Having been a Martin owner, at their factory many , many times... and very much into their history.... there must have been a chapter I missed !

As far a 5-15 "prototype".... interesting as well. I have never seen a martin let out of the factory in the last 40 years w/o a serial number ???

As others have said - uh?

Whatever you're smoking, I want some!

Seriously... are you going to back up those claims with ANY sort of evidence?
Accusations like that are not to be made lightly.

Are there any links you could provide to educate us?

Having been a Martin owner, at their factory many , many times... and very much into their history.... there must have been a chapter I missed !

As far a 5-15 "prototype".... interesting as well. I have never seen a martin let out of the factory in the last 40 years w/o a serial number ???

Yeah that's what's got me going Huh? the most. They have yet to supply me with pics.

Hey that's fun! Curious - was the second gunman playing a Martin on the grassy knoll? Nefarious!

Well, I got the pictures. From what I can tell from the poor iPhone photos, looks real.

He said his brother works for Martin, and that every 6 or so months they have a sale for their employees and they get a chance at blems, prototypes, and all kinds of stuff at a super discount.

I have to admit, I'm starting to ponder it...yeah yeah the whole idea was to get rid of instruments, but if it checks out in person.....

Small but playable..
Overall length 32"
Width at Nut 1 5/8
Scale length 22 1/2
Model disontinued

I have a guitar Yamaha its very cool guitar, here in Peru cost me 500 dollars expensive but I like it.
I think in other country like USA that guitar will be a lower cost.
I learned to use the guitar when I was 14 years old in my school was a class that teach about this instrument, now I have 11 years with my guitar!!

Top Bottom