'Uke do's/don'ts

IamRobbyah

Reaction score
I'm thinkin of puttin a design on the body of the uke.

What's the best way to do so, paint or marker? It already has a finish on it, so would it be too much to put another layer of clearcoat once the design is laid down?

My questions are kinda vague so far, but I haven't yet talked to the guy that I want to do it for me. I also dont wanna give away too much - gon be a surprise.

Thx for the help!

if you are planning on putting another clearcoat and the whole uke will be painted on I would just sand down the existing finsh to the sealer and possibly even spray a base primer coat of a background color for the artist ,...let him do his thing then clearcoat.

If your Ukulele finish is eligible, I recommend Stencils. You have a less chance of messing up :D.

What kind of clearcoat, over what kind of finish?

Check compatibility.

The finish on it right now is the factory clearcoat.

if you are planning on putting another clearcoat and the whole uke will be painted on I would just sand down the existing finsh to the sealer and possibly even spray a base primer coat of a background color for the artist ,...let him do his thing then clearcoat.

Thanks MGM, this is kinda what I was thinkin. I'll prolly call the artist tomo.

The finish on it right now is the factory clearcoat.

So, what kind of clearcoat? If its lacquer, and you finish with lacquer, you'll be fine. Spray lacquer on something non-compatible with it, and you'll end up refinishing the instrument.

So, what kind of clearcoat? If its lacquer, and you finish with lacquer, you'll be fine. Spray lacquer on something non-compatible with it, and you'll end up refinishing the instrument.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification. I am far from a wood worker/carpenter, so I couldn't tell you lacquer from clearcoat to, hell, resin... I'm gonna take it to the music store and see what they say. I'm havin some issues with buzzing too, so I'm gonna try an get this all figured out all at once.

Thx again!

Here's another wild idea: water-slip (or water-slide) decals, the kind you might have used when making models as a kid. They're available for colour copiers and even ink jet printers (but require a lot of priming first). You can make your design more permanent with a clearcoat, but the decal itself is pretty hardy if you don't place it in an area you will handle or finger a lot. And if you do mess it up, you should be able to (carefully) remove it and replace it later with a fresh one.

Thx for the suggestion! But the work I'm gettin done is very intricate and it'll be plenty unique that I'll never have the desire to change it...

I have had many artist paint ukes for me. the ukes were anded and primer applied They used acrylic paints and I light coat of acrylic clearcoat was applied after. They are in great shape years later....

Top Bottom