PDA

View Full Version : Would you buy a uke-themed fez?

Chap
11-08-2010, 06:50 AM
A bit of an offshoot of another thread, but it fired my imagination, so here we go...

Would you spend $65-70 usd for a uke-themed fez?

It would be from the great folks and www.fez-o-rama.com , and I can tell you from personal experience, they do good work, these are quality items.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, to see if there's enough interest to lure them into making a batch.

-Chap

cletus
11-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Hell, yeah! I love a nice lid.

mds725
11-08-2010, 07:12 AM
The option I would select is not in your poll. I would vote "no," but not because I fear either the price of a custom fez or fezzes in general. My reason would be that if I were going to wear a fez, I'd want to wear a traditional fez. I wouldn't wear a fez with ukulele-themed embroidery any more than I'd wear a suit jacket with an ukulele embroidered on the front pocket or the back of the suit. To avoid a misleading answer -- I wouldn't want my "no" vote to be misunderstood as hating fezzes or refusing to pay $60 for a good one -- I've declined to vote at all. (This would be a great teaching moment for how easily pollsters can skew polling or misinterpret the results, but that would involve hijacking the thread, which I will not do.)

bazmaz
11-08-2010, 07:13 AM
Cletus - there are nice lids, and then there are

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17352

BadLands Bart
11-08-2010, 07:19 AM
No, nope.....never, does not matter on the theme, price, style etc. No!

olgoat52
11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
A bit of an offshoot of another thread, but it fired my imagination, so here we go...

Would you spend $65-70 usd for a uke-themed fez?

It would be from the great folks and www.fez-o-rama.com , and I can tell you from personal experience, they do good work, these are quality items.

Just thought I'd throw it out there, to see if there's enough interest to lure them into making a batch.

-Chap

So how many Fez (is that right for the plural??) do you own that you have such intimate knowledge of quality?? ;) I love the idea but fear I lack the balls to wear on in public. Maybe it is just a chicago thing, but Fez = Shriner in my world ;)

olgoat52
11-08-2010, 07:21 AM
but that would involve hijacking the thread, which I will not do.)

Too late. Already done.... ;)

bazmaz
11-08-2010, 07:25 AM
whats a "shriner"?

Chap
11-08-2010, 07:26 AM
The option I would select is not in your poll. I would vote "no," but not because I fear either the price of a custom fez or fezzes in general. My reason would be that if I were going to wear a fez, I'd want to wear a traditional fez. I wouldn't wear a fez with ukulele-themed embroidery any more than I'd wear a suit jacket with an ukulele embroidered on the front pocket or the back of the suit. To avoid a misleading answer -- I wouldn't want my "no" vote to be misunderstood as hating fezzes or refusing to pay $60 for a good one -- I've declined to vote at all. (This would be a great teaching moment for how easily pollsters can skew polling or misinterpret the results, but that would involve hijacking the thread, which I will not do.)

Well, you may also ignore the rest of my verbage past "Yes" or "No", if you like, I was just trying to add a bit of fun to it. Frankly, I don't really care about the reasoning either way, just to know if you would or wouldn't.

-Chap

Mr Bill
11-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Hi Paul,

Shriners are kinda a bit like "Masons".
Yow know secret handshake,passwords,general do gooders.
They wear the fez and do other funny stuff.

Nope I'm not a Shriner.

Cheers.

Chap
11-08-2010, 07:33 AM
So how many Fez (is that right for the plural??) do you own that you have such intimate knowledge of quality?? ;) I love the idea but fear I lack the balls to wear on in public. Maybe it is just a chicago thing, but Fez = Shriner in my world ;)

I own two fezzes, one is a cheap one, made of felt-covered card, apparently. I don't wear that one, because it both doesn't fit my giant melon-head, and frankly, it's crap. But, it does make a fine container for spare dice, adapters, card readers, and so on. The other one is from Fez-O-Rama, and it's lovely. Great stitching, quilted interior, a very nice piece of work. I also have about a dozen other hats, ranging from a couple ball caps from my Air Force days, to a pirate hat, to a nice bowler.

As to shriners, well, I can't influence your world view that much. But I dare to think that a nice fez, in an un-shriner color, with a uke embroidered on it (or something uke-related), doesn't immediately scream shriner. :P

gnordenstam
11-08-2010, 07:35 AM
I'd buy a uke-themed fez, but the price is too high for me (at least right now).
--G

Chap
11-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Hi Paul,

Nope I'm not a Shriner.

Cheers.

I'm not a Shriner either, but they're fairly well known for donating to and/or building Children's hospitals, riding tiny cars in parades, and wearing red fezzes.

olgoat52
11-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Hi Paul,

Nope I'm not a Shriner.

Cheers.

Actually, Shriners ARE high degree Masons. You have to be a fully degreed Mason before you can apply to or be nominated to be a Mason. Learned a little bit about them last summer in going to a memorial service at a Masonic Temple for an uncle. Definitely a perculiar experience :)

beeejums
11-08-2010, 08:27 AM
If I had the money, I'd drop probably a maximum of $65 on a uke fez, depending on the style. It would have to be classy.

I think I want to be a Mason. I'm not sure though. I'd have to learn more about it.

How do you learn more about a secret society?

I suppose I could Google it.

Oh, and I don't have the money. Nor will I, anytime soon.

Coconut Willie
11-08-2010, 08:28 AM
No, they are not my style.

Kem
11-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Fezzes are cool:

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/11-Doctor-Fez-570x321.jpg

spookefoote
11-08-2010, 08:46 AM
How much!!!!!!!!!!

UncleElvis
11-08-2010, 09:08 AM
I would.

I have two fezzes. One is totally vintage, bought by my brother in a pawn shop in Lincoln, Nebraska, 20-odd years ago.
The other is from Fez-o-Rama and is not only incredibly well made, it's insanely comfortable, and nice and warm. It shall be my winter hat.
The price seems a little steep... until you get it. Then you understand.
If you're into the insanity of the Fez, I can't recommend Fez-o-Rama highly enough.

cletus
11-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Cletus - there are nice lids, and then there are

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17352

Dude, where did you get the picture of my dad?

Dave Talsma
11-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, I would love to get one!!!!!!

JT_Ukes
11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Erm... make it $20 and I'm all over it like Uncle Elvis at the mini jams!

Seriusly.. top quote The Doctor "Fezes are cool"

seriously.. but couldn't spend more than 25 ish...

Chap
11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Okay, so another question, while you're here.... what sort of uke-themed thing would you like on the front? I'm rather fond of the Peace-Love-Ukulele images, but I'm not sure if that's owned by somebody. Pehaps the traditional girl-with-uke? Any other thoughts?

ukecantdothat
11-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Hi Paul,

Nope I'm not a Shriner.

Cheers.
Shriners are like Masons with better potlucks. And if'n I were to ever do it with a fez on, it may as well have ukes on it!
:nana:

farmerboy
11-09-2010, 08:15 AM
I'd be up for a uke themed trilby...

bazmaz
11-09-2010, 08:18 AM
now you're talking. But, to me a porkpie seems more ukulele, if you know what I mean

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_3K1w9KtJMv8/S9WKxNWQIaI/AAAAAAAAAF0/B2OgW8PwRR4/s1600/jupitus.jpg

ps - for my American cousins - that fella on the left is Phill Jupitus - Stand up comic, radio presenter, all round funny guy and ukulele player.

cletus
11-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I thought porkpie and trilby were the same ? I love and wear either/both.

UncleElvis
11-09-2010, 09:07 AM
I thought porkpie and trilby were the same ? I love and wear either/both.

HEAVENS no! The porkpie traditionally has a flat top and no pinch, but recently, any hat with a small, turned up brim has been called a porkpie.
A trilby has a wider brim and a more pronounced pinch.

Porkpie - think ska, blues or jazz singers... or the character from "Desmond's" for those across the pond.
Trilby - think Sam Spade

Fezmonger
11-09-2010, 09:10 AM
First off, Chap and UncleElvis, thanks for the kind words about Fez-o-rama.

For full disclosure I should point out that I am the guy that makes the fezzes in question and along with my friend Joe created/run Fez-o-rama. I have been playing ukulele for a number of years but am by no means an accomplished player. I totally understand that what I do is not everyone's cup of tea. Much like the noble ukulele, fezzes get a variety of responses.

So the good news is Chap, I have already been working on a uke themed fez for some time. I have done a number of sketches but haven't come up with one that I am totally happy with. I tend to be rather critical of my work. My hope is to have the design worked out in the next month and have the first ones made by January. In time for when all the great uke players come to town for the NAMM conference.

BTW I have an extensive collection of brimmed hats and never leave the house without one.

spookefoote
11-09-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd love one at the right price

UncleElvis
11-09-2010, 09:14 AM

For full disclosure I should point out that I am the guy that makes the fezzes in question and along with my friend Joe created/run Fez-o-rama. I have been playing ukulele for a number of years but am by no means an accomplished player. I totally understand that what I do is not everyone's cup of tea. Much like the noble ukulele, fezzes get a variety of responses.

So the good news is Chap, I have already been working on a uke themed fez for some time. I have done a number of sketches but haven't come up with one that I am totally happy with. I tend to be rather critical of my work. My hope is to have the design worked out in the next month and have the first ones made by January. In time for when all the great uke players come to town for the NAMM conference.

Well, now I HAVE to reiterate how good these hats are.
I joked with my wife that I was going to wear mine all winter, because it is PERFECT for the kind of temperatures we get here in Bermuda, she said that, while she didn't want me to become "The guy with the fez", she had no problem with that...

THAT is how good these lids are!

And 'monger?

You make a ukulele fez, I'm buying it. End of.

olgoat52
11-09-2010, 09:42 AM

BTW I have an extensive collection of brimmed hats and never leave the house without one.

Welcome to Ukulele Underground!!

olgoat52
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Well, now I HAVE to reiterate how good these hats are.
I joked with my wife that I was going to wear mine all winter, because it is PERFECT for the kind of temperatures we get here in Bermuda, she said that, while she didn't want me to become "The guy with the fez", she had no problem with that...

THAT is how good these lids are!

And 'monger?

You make a ukulele fez, I'm buying it. End of.

Yeah and if you had worn a fez this morning your father would have never noticed your "hair aberation"

Fezmonger
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Thanks again UncleElvis!

I don't want to hijack the discussion so please let me know if this starts reading like an infomercial script. I have been mulling the idea of a uke fez for a few years now but it is on my short list of designs to do this year. My goal is to come up with a design I can do for my standard $55 and then a deluxe version that would land in the price range suggested above. Since I have yet to come up with my favorite idea I will most likely put a few sketches up on my blog (http://www.fez-o-rama.com/blog)and run a poll later this month. I welcome any suggestions you might have.

olgoat52
11-09-2010, 09:47 AM
As far as designs. When I think of ukes, I think of a palm tree on small mound of an island with a martin soprano. Koa would be cooler but I don't know you could embroider a Koa uke.

Although I always love the old babe in a grass skirt with Uke pics as well. Chuck Moore has a couple on his site that are great.

Fezmonger
11-09-2010, 09:49 AM
thanks! I have been following videos here for some time but was actually a bit surprised that I had never joined the forum. Now is as good a time as any I suppose

Chap
11-09-2010, 10:16 AM

And here I thought I was going to have to call you up and convince you, buy a whole batch myself, and try to re-sell them! But instead, you're already here, and ahead of me! Woooo!

Thanks for all the news, Fezmonger! You guys do quality work, and I can't wait to see what you come up with. (no pressure. :P )

Kem
11-09-2010, 11:59 AM
Is there any noticeable difference between the laminated fez and the all solid ones? And would it be better with Aquilla strings or worths in the fringe thing.

And is it worth buying a cheap laminate-and-plastic starter fez, or do those ones never have decent intonation?

roxhum
11-09-2010, 12:19 PM
No to a uke themed fez. How about fez themed uke.

Roxhum

hoosierhiver
11-09-2010, 12:46 PM
I can picture a design of two ukes with the necks crossing like skull and crossbones. It'd be totally cool for UWC.