Is it just me, or do Guitars look grotesquely huge to you?

lambchop

Reaction score
I guess the title says it all, but let me explain. After playing ukulele for over a year now (or thereabouts), whenever I see people play acoustic guitar (and I still do play guitar, so no offense intended towards guitar players), especially when they are seated, I am like automatically saying, "Wow, that seems like such an awfully big thing to be holding?" It just has started to look so odd to me.

Again, this is not a diss as much as an actual observation of how I feel when I see acoustic guitar (never mind I have no idea what those other two strings are for). I guess violin players must feelt his way about the cellos.

All the best,
Mike

Yes, I have been noticing that as well. The body of the guitar seems to be extremely large to me.

Ha, I play both, and totally agree with you - whenever I pick up my acoustic it feels HUUUGGE. Not helped by the fact I play dreadnoughts either.

The other issue is if I have been playing uke for a while, my hands forget how to place fretting fingers on the guitar - it just feels so wide.

I agree. Last time I picked up a guitar I commented that it was like holding a battleship... the guitar's owner was not impressed :)

Heheh....our uke teacher took our class in to play along with a guitar class one day. Dang those things looked huge...one of my classmates said something like Whetu's comment, above. "It looked like they all had aircraft carriers on their lap!"

In the 70's I was trying to learn classical guitar from Frederic Noad's old TV series on PBS. I even had some episodes on *videotape*, wow, it was so new! Through the 80s they were mostly under the bed but I took them out every now and then to try to keep up on the little I knew. Then broke a hand and finger and sold them. Then discovered ukuleles.

However I had a bout of temprary insanity and just got two vintage guitars because my hubby won't play his uke, but he's tickled with the guitars. OMG, the frets are MILES apart! It hurts my shoulder to have to reach so far for the top frets on the neck. I have forgotten all my guitar chords because they are different for uke, and I didn't want to confuse myself. I picked up a couple classicals in stores too recently and they are even harder to fret with the wider neck. I like the V necks on the old acoustics. And the regular guitars seem so big, especially dreadnoughts, how does anyone manage them?? It just boggles me. I am still tickled with the vintage guitars though, one of them has a ring that goes on and on and on, like church bells, it's insane.

Fat bottom girls make this rocky world go round......

For me i dislike the position my strumming arm sits now on my acoustic guitar. It feels cumbersome too

The shop where I take uke lessons is mainly a guitar shop. Whenever I'm there I see my fellow students lugging around their guitars, and I am always happy that my instrument of choice is so much easier to carry around :)

In a moment of revival I pulled out my concert uke last week, and THAT seemed enormous and felt like it had lead weights in it. Yes Guitars look grotesquely huge and cumbersome to me.

Actually, a parlor sized, or 7/8, 00, 000, or OM is not too big...so naturally I bought a jumbo sized Ovation celebrity...pretty, sounds nice...can't get my bloody arm around it to save my life! This thing is freakishly huge! On the plus side I can hide from the rotten tomatoes and cabbage being hurled by the audience!

This is a common reaction most ukerists have when getting reaclimated to the guitar, myself included. The neck feels like a friggin' baseball bat whenever I pick mine up now. I used to keep them in their cases, but now I keep them out and make myself pick them up from time to time, just to keep some semblance of chops available. If not, they just stay cooped up until I need one for a session or something and it's like I've never played before when I bust it out! Not good. I do more uking than anything else right now, but I hate to see all those years (and investments) go to seed.

I picked up the Uke while recovering from shoulder reconstruction. While I can still enjoy guitar and getting some mobility back, the Seagull mini-jumbo feels HUGE.... I am glad I rediscovered the Uke. I just added a 6 string tenor and this thing just satisfies most all my needs!

Top Bottom