Basic Uke Theory for those with Low Standards and No Instructor

furashgf

Reaction score
Like many others, I'm on the "teach myself Ukulele" program, as it's challenging to find a competent Ukulele instructor.

Given that my goal is to simply be "competent," what would be an appropriate "course of study." Currently, I just play along with songs I like (the only outcome being I gradually learn new chords). I would GUESS it would be something like the following

- strumming techniques - be able to apply different strumming patterns
- chords - know all the chords you need to know, along with the common chord progressions
- fretboard - know the important scales on the fretboard, etc.

I just made the above up. Suggestions from people that actually know stuff would be appreciated.

ha, low standards -- that made me laugh, probably because it applies to me

Dude - you are in exactly the right place though - you have all the resources you need on this site.

Other than that - practice and play with friends is my motto

or learn some chords and how to strum...

(sorry, he did say low standards..like me)

Aloha Fu,
Welcome to the UU and our forums....and the ukulele...google Musicteacher2010 and Keonepax for awesome ukulele tutorials..
They're on You-tube...Have fun and enjoy!! "Keep on Strumming them strings" MM Stan...

As noted great stuff on this forum and MANY how to videos on Your Tube. One good investment if you want more out of it all is the "Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps"... if you take it page by page you will be amazed at how easy the learning is.

Quick and dirty ukulele = Chords (majors and minors in every key).

If you want to add to that, do the following in this order (all keys):
- Major Scales
- Minor Pentatonic
- Circle of fifths/fourths

Along the way, try to learn a song a day. For retention, play the last five songs you learned as a warm up before learning a new one. As for strumming, technique studies there are over rated unless you just have to get it right. Try listening to the song played by someone else and just match that rhythm. That worked for me on guitar for fifteen years.

~DB

Along the way, try to learn a song a day. For retention, play the last five songs you learned as a warm up before learning a new one.

When you warm up, play the songs all the way thru, all the verses, every time.

play every day, even if it's just for half an hour. Find songs that you've never heard but look interesting, listen to them on youtube/grooveshark and play along. You might find some songs that you really like, and you'll add them to your repertoire. Once you've got all the common chords sorted, try some songs on the Dr Uke website to get dirty with some #dim's and 7+5's.

My top three resources (apart from MusicTeacher2010 and UU, obviously) in this order:

http://nwfolk.com/uketabs.html
http://www.scorpex.net/Uke/
http://www.doctoruke.com/songs.html

If you want to advance beyond that, get some books off Amazon like Fretboard Roadmaps.

For the following items you have all listed, where can I find the appropriate teaching materials:

- memorize/master the major and minor chords in each key - ??
- memorize/master the major scales in each key - Book - Fretboard Roadmaps
- memorize the minor pentatonic scales in each key - ??
- major the circle of 4ths/5ths in each key - ??

If you could point out materials that are low on theory and high on "these are all the keys, and here are the scales that go with them," that would be great. I'm low on musical-theory understanding ability.

Top Bottom