PDA

View Full Version : What do you hate about the ukulele?

Snow
06-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Self-explanatory title.

berylbite
06-28-2008, 07:14 PM
gets out of tune easily.

no_surf_today
06-28-2008, 07:16 PM
1. It's still in the mail. (not late, just in the mail)
2. When it gets here, it still won't be a G-String Honu.

salukulady
06-28-2008, 07:36 PM
not being able to afford more..........

UkeNinja
06-28-2008, 07:42 PM
That it's not twice as big and has the missing two strings...

*ducks for negative karma*

UkuLeLesReggAe
06-28-2008, 08:05 PM
gets out of tune easily.

really? i have tuned mine once in the past 4 months lmfao! and i been playing it heaps lately. i hate nothoing about the uke, execpt that it gets wet when i play, im not sure why.. but its fine for about 3mins.. i must sweat and make it wet :(

lovemissheather
06-28-2008, 08:31 PM
really? i have tuned mine once in the past 4 months lmfao! and i been playing it heaps lately. i hate nothoing about the uke, execpt that it gets wet when i play, im not sure why.. but its fine for about 3mins.. i must sweat and make it wet :(

i'm with you. most of my ukes stay tuned. the one that doesnt was the one i bought from antoniotsai. which, i still need to buy replacement strings and tuning knobs. i'm hoping i can fix it to my liking.

when it comes down to the uke....
man, yeah. i like the "because i can't afford to buy more" one.
i'll use that... :D

jjsdad
06-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I hate that my kids didn't learn to play it in school like I did.

Also, my son thinks it's too nerdy and calls UU my nerd friends. :o

h-drix
06-29-2008, 03:33 AM
i am a nerd =/

most people dont take it seriously.

brokenwing
06-29-2008, 03:52 AM
I hate that I can't play it better than I do (although progress is being made).:D

Plainsong
06-29-2008, 04:04 AM
I hate that most people don't see it as a "real" instrument. :mad:

UKISOCIETY
06-29-2008, 04:21 AM
I hate that I can't play it better than I do (although progress is being made).:D

To quote an internet meme: "This!"

Boozelele
06-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Remember when you were a kid and you said you loved something...and one of your friends would reply sarcastically with "well, why don't you marry it?". I hate the fact that I can't marry it. :)

mctrmt
06-29-2008, 07:53 AM
I hate that I can only play one ukulele at a time.

Woodstocksp3
06-29-2008, 08:06 AM
I hate that there aren't enough of them! I've only found one place in San Antonio that has more than two. :(

JackT
06-29-2008, 09:03 AM
UAS is almost as addictive as smoking, but costs more.

Jack33@
06-29-2008, 09:59 AM
I hate that I can't play it better than I do (although progress is being made).

Count me in on that meme

I hate that the ukulele fairies are not teaching me how to play in my sleep, I was hoping to pick some skills up by osmosis but apparantly 'practice' is the only way.

Whenever 'practice' gets too much I go online and read what you guys are up to and when I go back to the uke I feel I know more but I still can't play.

Still, when it all get too much we just cuddle on the sofa and watch tv...after all can you really use the words "hate" and "ukulele" in the same sentance and mean it?

Boozelele
06-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Still, when it all get too much we just cuddle on the sofa and watch tv...

Me too, but I hate that my uke won't get up and make me a sandwich....

davoomac
06-29-2008, 11:25 AM
I hate that my ukulele isn't impervious to dents. I bring my uke EVERYWHERE and I've already gotten some dings and scratches.

UkuleleBlake
06-29-2008, 11:48 AM
I wish there were more music shops with ukulele accessories. Strings, polish, all that good stuff.

Plainsong
06-29-2008, 01:15 PM
I hate that I don't know really that many songs, and the songs I want to know are above my skills.

I also hate that there's exactly one company bundling a decent case with their ukes, and in order to get the case, you have to special order it from the other side of the world.

'ukeWillis
06-29-2008, 02:33 PM
What do I hate about it?
It's cooler than me.

FHS-72
06-29-2008, 08:39 PM
i hate the fact that it tooke me 30 yrs to come back to playing it again.:mad::o

polynesianpop
06-30-2008, 03:52 AM
I hate that I can't play it better than I do (although progress is being made).

ME TOO! :cool:

I hate that most people don't see it as a "real" instrument.

ME TOO! :(

I wish there were more music shops with ukulele accessories. Strings, polish, all that good stuff.

ME TOO! :mad:

ChiyoDad
06-30-2008, 04:41 AM
I haven't yet been asked either of these questions but I know three folks who encountered them:

"Why are you playing a kid's guitar?"
"Do you do clown acts?"

:mad:

If your ukulele goes out of tune often, it's probably because (in descending order of likelihood):

You have new strings and they're still stretching.
You wound it too many times around the peg and those extra winding are also stretching ... slo-o-o-o-owly.
You used Nylguts which can take (sometimes) two weeks to settle-in.
Your uke and strings are being affected by temperature changes.
Your tuning gears are faulty. (But I haven't seen this yet except on VERY cheap instruments like $15 tourist junk.)

I tune-up all of my instruments before playing. Some strings need tuning and some don't. Some just need a tiny turn to get them to the exact pitch that I prefer.

jjsdad
06-30-2008, 10:19 AM
i hate the fact that it tooke me 30 yrs to come back to playing it again.:mad::o
Same here... although not quite 30 years... If it wasn't for UU, I think I would have given it up again. ;)

UkuleleBlake
06-30-2008, 11:03 AM
Haha, I also hate the fact that on a uke lover's board, we already have 3 pages of hate. :)

MGM
06-30-2008, 10:17 PM
I hate it that no matter what i do to stay neat and clean there is always five or six ukes on my bed just when i want to go in and flop down to sleep and i have to find someplace for them...Seems i leave them elsewhere and my families way of getting them out of their way is to put them where i sleep....good thing i dont drink anymore or I would have crushed many a uke by now...and I mean crush...seen my lovely figure lately LOL

Kaneohe til the end
06-30-2008, 11:35 PM
i hate that i walk around everywhere air uke-ing nonstop.

Lanark
07-01-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm annoyed that I need to have some fingernails to play the way I like to. I work with my hands so I keep busting my playing nails off while I'm at work if I don't keep up on filing them down to a proper minimal height.

Or maybe I just need to find a new job.

deach
07-01-2008, 01:51 AM

LOL! me too!

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-01-2008, 02:01 AM

god, tell me about it! in class.. get a pen and start strumming and making up stupid chords.

look like the biggest tool..

LonnaB
07-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I hate that no one else I know (in town) plays the ukulele.

I'm working on that one!

h-drix
07-01-2008, 02:54 AM
I hate it that no matter what i do to stay neat and clean there is always five or six ukes on my bed just when i want to go in and flop down to sleep and i have to find someplace for them...Seems i leave them elsewhere and my families way of getting them out of their way is to put them where i sleep....good thing i dont drink anymore or I would have crushed many a uke by now...and I mean crush...seen my lovely figure lately LOL

I think many of us dream having that many ukes. i know i would.

ricdoug
07-01-2008, 03:49 AM
I hate that no one else I know (in town) plays the ukulele.

I'm working on that one!

You're not the only one in Nap Town, Lonna (I live in San Diego, California, but went to High School and College in Kokomo). Check out these sites:

http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/directory/state.asp?ID=16

Geoff Davis runs a youth ukulele group, here:

http://www.bluestonefolkschool.org

BIG Indiana Ukulele Event!:

http://www.ukuleleluau.com

PortugueseSausage
07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
that it cost so much for such a fragile instrument.

RON<>VA
07-01-2008, 04:27 PM
I hate the fact that my car's autopilot doesn't work when I'm driving down the road playing my ukulele. Still looking for that damn button that turns it on!