Need A "Passive" Pickup!

musiccityuker

Reaction score
Wanting to throw a pickup on my uke. Local dealer installs K&K but wants an arm and a leg for installation. Don't know much about them but pretty sure I can install my own... especially if it's a "passive" without onboard controls. Question: Any recommends on which "passive" pickup I should buy? Would appreciate your expertise. Thanks.

I fitted a K&K bigshot passive myself to a fluke and it was pretty straightforward - post about my fit found here

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/10/fitting-k-big-shot-pickup-to-fluke.html

Admittedly, a fluke makes things easier, but the only real difference on a wood uke is drilling an accurate hole through the bottom block where you would put a strap button.

Great pickup by the way

Just so happens that I've been on the phone w/ Fishman today. Their passive pickup is the AG series (product code PRO-AG0-UKE). Usually runs about $80.

Outside string diminsions should be 1.67".

And if you were in Phoenix, I'd hook you up with a guy to do the install! But if you check their website, they have fairly thorough instructions posted.

~Michael

Just what I needed!

Thanks much. I already have a strap button installed... so I'll just make the hole a bit bigger. Does the K&K receptor, by chance, have a strap flange? Wondering if I'd lose my strap by installing the pickup there.
I fitted a K&K bigshot passive myself to a fluke and it was pretty straightforward - post about my fit found here

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/10/fitting-k-big-shot-pickup-to-fluke.html

Admittedly, a fluke makes things easier, but the only real difference on a wood uke is drilling an accurate hole through the bottom block where you would put a strap button.

Great pickup by the way

Another vote for the k&K self installed. If you are half crafty this is easy !

Just tried the link, no problem accessing it.

Yes, the K&K Bigshot internal pickup comes with a strap button that you can screw on the jack pin.

I ordered one of the JJBElectronics PPS-100's Tuesday. It came today. Fast shipping and he even gave me a USPS tracking number. It was $14.99, with free shipping. I haven't drilled a hole for it yet, but I taped it to the soundboard of my soprano, my Flea, a tenor and my guitar. It sounds great on all of them.

I tried plugging it into my Crate 15W practice amp and it was way loud enough and sounded good. I do not have a pre-amp. The sound is very natural, just like the acoustic sound of the particular instrument. I also plugged it into the 1/4" direct input jacks on the Zoom H4, and it worked great there as well.

Like the K&K, it is susceptible to feedback at loud volumes. Even though it was only $14.99 delivered, if you want an end pin jack and strap button, its an extra $8, so the cost begins to approach the cost of the K&K. Since both the K&K and the JBB are 20mm piezos, I suspect they sound the same. Both sound much better than trying to jigger up one of those Radio Shack buzzer piezos. I looked up the frequency response of the buzzer and its pretty bad.

I'm very sastified with the quality of the sound, and will post a sound sample, once I get a chance and have it installed permanently.

Last edited:
I ordered one of the JJBElectronics PPS-100's Tuesday. It came today. Fast shipping and he even gave me a USPS tracking number. It was $14.99, with free shipping. I haven't drilled a hole for it yet, but I taped it to the soundboard of my soprano, my Flea, a tenor and my guitar. It sounds great on all of them.

I tried plugging it into my Crate 15W practice amp and it was way loud enough and sounded good. I do not have a pre-amp. The sound is very natural, just like the acoustic sound of the particular instrument. I also plugged it into the 1/4" direct input jacks on the Zoom H4, and it worked great there as well.

Like the K&K, it is susceptible to feedback at loud volumes. Even though it was only $14.99 delivered, if you want an end pin jack and strap button, its an extra $8, so the cost begins to approach the cost of the K&K. Since both the K&K and the JBB are 20mm piezos, I suspect they sound the same. Both sound much better than trying to jigger up one of those Radio Shack buzzer piezos. I looked up the frequency response of the buzzer and its pretty bad.

I'm very sastified with the quality of the sound, and will post a sound sample, once I get a chance and have it installed permanently.

I told ya.

I told ya.

Yep. Thats where I got the idea. Thanks for that one. Installed it in my tenor tonight. Drilling that hole in a perfectly good uke was scary, but pretty simple. Sounds good, but it does pick up more finger noise than an under the saddle one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom