Fretted notes and chords do not sustain

onewoo

Reaction score
Just got a cedartop Kala. I notice that open notes sustain nicely but there is a marked loss of volume and sustain when I play fretted notes or barred chords. I know some of this is technique. The action is not high. I am using Aquila strings. Any thoughts or suggestions? thanks

Perhaps you're not applying enough pressure on the frets to get a clear note? As for barre chords, play each string individually and check the sound of the note, if some notes sound dead/mute/buzz, you're probably not barre-ing it properly. You can always use two fingers (i.e stack middle finger on index finger) to get a little more pressure.

If you are a beginner, you may be making the mistake of placing your fingers directly over the frets. The fretting fingers should be placed behind the fret. I apologise if you already know this. I've no way of knowing.

A friend of mine has a cedar top Kala soprano, with Aquilas. It is a fine instrument.

I hope you will soon get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

John Colter.

Thanks for asking the question. Helpful answers. Thank you!
P.S. I have more of a problem with the muted sounding chords on my cheap uku. Not sure why because they have similar action and Aquilas strings. Mabye the frets aren't placed as well?

Rox

Thanks for the tips. I am applying enough pressure onto the fret board. I played guitar for a few years so I know how much and where to apply the pressure for the clearest sound. What I notice is that when I play a chord, it is more muted than when I strum the open strings. Can this be due to the saddle being too high? The muting is more pronounced the higher up the fret board I go.

Aloha Onewoo,
I betcha have thick high tension strings on your uke, if I'm right just hooler out and I'll help....MM Stan

I have Aquila strings which I thought gives more sound and sustain. I find that when I use a pick the difference between open and fretted strings is not as marked. I have some D'Addario Pro strings that I could try. Do you think that would make any difference?

I have Aquila strings which I thought gives more sound and sustain. I find that when I use a pick the difference between open and fretted strings is not as marked. I have some D'Addario Pro strings that I could try. Do you think that would make any difference?
TRy dropping the tuning a half step..it will decrease the tension making the strings resonate more....

Top Bottom