High-d strings for baritone?

ichadwick

Reaction score
Any recommendations for high-D strings for a baritone uke? I don't recall seeing any sets fort this, but if there are any, I'd appreciate some names.

Can I use a string from a set of classical guitar strings for the high-D? I assume this would be a second E string just tuned a whole note lower?

Thanks.
I see you have the 20" scale (baritone) as a G tuning. By that do you mean DGBE or GCEA? I'm looking for re-entrant dGBE.

Not sure why I can't use a set of guitar strings with an extra E string simply tuned a step lower, though...

Sounds interesting.... if you us the re-enterant tuning on the baritone please post a sound clip.

Actually, the Pono baritone I bought from another UUer fairly recently came re-entrant-D. I like it a lot, more, I think, than standard low-D. That's one of the reasons I want to restring the Beansprout I just got. I have a vintage Lyra wih the low-D already. I am not sure how the Pono owner strung his, though, and am looking for advice form anyone who has done it and can advise on the type of strings to use. Failing that, I will experiment...

Yes, the key of G is D G BE, the 3rd string is the "key". G C EA, for example, is the key of C. For reference, take a look at the table on our "Tunings" page.

http://www.southcoastukes.com/stringuide_files/tunings.htm

As far as guitar strings, you might pull it off if you use a very heavy set. Remember that a Baritone Uke scale is almost 6" shorter than a guitar. What feels right on one will feel and sound much different on the other. For an example only slightly more extreme, you wouldn't expect to take your standard baritone strings and put them on a concert or soprano, and still get good tension in the key of G.

I think you would find our set a lot more satisfactory, as it was designed for that purpose.

What we call a high re-entrant G tuning works out very nicely on a baritone, if it is not built too heavily.

Papi, we have a brief sound sample on our Baritone page:

http://www.southcoastukes.com/index_files/bariuke.htm

Last edited:
Thanks, I figured it out when I read the other page. I always ask what tuning people mean because although you and I say C tuning others say G tuning for the same pitch, because they read G as the first note. Always good to confirm. I linked your tuning page on my own, because it has good information on it.

Anyway, I have a set of baritone strings, but want to change the wound fourth for a re-entrant high D. I assume that would just be a standard first/E string dropped a tone. Should not be too floppy - I dropped tones on guitars for open tunings without any problem. I expect to order your set anyway, but it won't arrive this weekend when I plan to restring the uke.

On using guitar strings: you shouldn't need a very heavy set. The shorter length of the scale should mean less tension on the strings, so it strikes me a lighter set should work quite well. I think what I have on the Pono now is a set of D'Addario guitar strings, and my local music store owner says that's what he uses for baritone ukes. Besides, what I think of as light and heavy are based on steel strings, which are much thinner than nylon.

Hello again,

On the guitar strings, you've got the 1st part of the equation right. The shorter scale means that guitar strings will have less tension - will be too loose when tuned to the same key. You flipped on the 2nd part, though. What you'll need to get the tension back up are heavier strings. Lighter strings would make things even worse.

If you want a quick fix for the weekend, and have some guitar sets around, try a guitar 2nd string in your 4th position. Leave your other baritone strings as they are. May not be ideal, but should let you play around, and again, the guitar 1st wouldn't give enough tension.

Anyway, I have a set of baritone strings, but want to change the wound fourth for a re-entrant high D. I assume that would just be a standard first/E string dropped a tone. Should not be too floppy - I dropped tones on guitars for open tunings without any problem. I expect to order your set anyway, but it won't arrive this weekend when I plan to restring the uke.

You're forgetting the baritone length is shorter than a guitar. Try the 2nd B guitar string, it should be just right. My guitar's 3rd fret scale measures 21 1/4", close to the baritone's 22". A B string at the 3rd fret is D. But you may want a light gauge B string because a baritone is usually built lighter than a guitar.

I have re-entrant on my baritone and I believe my D string is 60lb test.

I tried dGBE tuning on a tenor with normal gCEA strings it worked well with aquilas and I would image it works better with worth bt because they have a higher tension

Ian- I have some florocarbon high d baritone sets. Want me to send you one?
A
Just going back over posts and saw your offer. If it's still open, I'll accept a set, with thanks. What I really need is an unwound set (all four strings) if one is available. Can't find anything like that locally - D'Addario and Martins are all I can get at the local music store.

I converted a 1/2 sized (22" Scale) 6 String Classical Guitar into a Nylon Stringed Tenor Guitar tuned DD-G-B-EE by Shaping and Grooving a blank Nut into a 'DD-G-B-EE' format. I drilled 2 extra holes in the Bridge to Match the Nut Grooves. I've strung it with Classical Guitar Strings (DD-G-B-EE).

Red TG 3.jpg

Attachments

• Classical Guitar Strings.jpg
    Classical Guitar Strings.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Living Waters makes a high D set. I currently have them on my Kala Cedar Top bari.

1/2 size 6 String (22" Scale) Classical Guitars can cost as little as £30. I bought a New Blank Nut which I Shaped and cut String Grooves into in a DD-G-B-EE pattern after first marking the Center of the Nut, then Marking 5mm either side of the Nut Center Mark which then would be where I cut the grooves for String 3 (B) and String 4 (G) and mark for the other Strings working outwards. Once the Nut Grooves were Cut then I removed the Saddle and carefully drilled another 2mm D-Hole and another 2mm E Hole in the Bridge to match the DD-G-B-EE Spacing of the Nut Grooves. I lowered the Action by shaving the Nut and Saddle Bases. That's all it took really to end up with a 6 String 'Tenor' Guitar tuned DD-G-B-EE. If the 1/2 sized Classical Guitar has a High Action (and many of them do) then remove the Nut and Shave off the evenly spaced 6 String Grooves and Cut new ones to whichever doubled up Pattern you want. Lower the Saddle too as 1mm off the Nut and 1mm off the Saddle = 1mm Action reduction at the 12th Fret which is usually the halfway point of Scale. 1mm off the Nut and Nothing off the Saddle = 0.5mm Action Reduction at the 12th Fret and Vice-Versa. The middle 4 holes (2-3-4-5) should be used for the E-B-G-D strings. The extra E Hole should be drilled halfway between the existing Holes of 1 and 2. The extra D Hole should be drilled halfway between the existing of Holes 5 and 6. That leaves the existing holes 1 and 6 unused. The 3x Spacing's between Strings 2 and 3, 3 and 4, 4 and 5 should be 1 cm. The Outer String Grooves 1 and 6 should be 3mm away from String Grooves 2 and 5. That will leave the outer Strings 2mm away from the Edges of the Nut. The actual String Width Spread between String 1 and String 6 will be approximately 36mm at the Nut and 40mm at the Saddle.

These 3 x Classical Guitar String Sets Pack cost £7 which is a good deal as each pack has an extra High E String in each String Set...
https://www.djmmusic.com/p-22668-tiger-pack-of-3-classical-guitar-string-sets.aspx

Attachments

• Red 3.jpg
    Red 3.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Top Bottom