I performed at the Ark in Ann Arbor Tonight! It was freaking awesome!

lambchop

Reaction score
Less that one week after Jake Shimabukuro played the Ark in Ann Arbor, I was given the wonderful opportunity to be chosen to be the first one up for their open stage night tonight, and it was awesome. I mean, one, just to be on that same stage, and two, to be able to play ukulele on it.

I started with "Middle Aged Guy with a Ukulele" and the audience, not to sound arrogant, just loved it. Laughed in all the right places and applauded at the end.

Then I did the new version of "Tiptoe through the Tulips." I screwed up a few parts, but in ways I could tell as opposed to ways the audience could tell, so I was happy with that and honored to get another wonderful reaction.

So cool, a stage with lights, with monitors, and great quality equipment - so much better than anything I have ever played on before.

Now, it's not like I was asked to be there - you show up, put your name on a ticket and if they pull you, you're in - I just lucked out getting to be first, which is important with ukulele, I think, as you can sound kind of thin after a bunch of guitars. Also, I think they are kinder to those who go first, but, whatever, it was fun. I have no pics or video - darn it - but here's previous clips of the two songs I did do, for those who are not already too sick of them.

"Tiptoe..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXqQjScntHM

"Middle Aged Guy..." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R974ny8zl58

So much fun. Gotta try to get some sleep. My dream is to one day do a whole show there at the Ark - a big goal, but I'm going to try!

All the best,
Mike

That's pretty sweet Mike. I'm glad the crowd was good to ya.

There was another (really young) girl there from the Ann Arbor Group too. I think her name was Magdeline Fossum or something like that.

Anyway, I'm glad it was a good experience and the uke was introduced to even more people.

That's pretty sweet Mike. I'm glad the crowd was good to ya.

There was another (really young) girl there from the Ann Arbor Group too. I think her name was Magdeline Fossum or something like that.

Anyway, I'm glad it was a good experience and the uke was introduced to even more people.

Were you there, too? That's two places I "almost met you." The girl was extremely talented - she had the audience rivited from the moment she started and her voice and phrasing were incredible as were her choice or older songs - you could hear a pin drop in the audience when she was on the stage. Everyone there was so great, it was a very fun evening.

No, I wasn't there last night. I only know because there was a comment posted on the Ann Arbor Uke group site saying she would be performing. Maybe one day I'll have to make it to one of those open mics though.

It would be great to meet you - maybe you could teach me some of those cool things you do in that Talsma demo video? I'm still floored by your playing. Your emotional attachement to your music really comes through, you have a great gift.

Top Bottom