PDA

View Full Version : What about lefties?

sarahsashes
11-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I've been trying to get an answer to this for a long time. Would I have to have a huge amount of money to buy my first ukulele because I'm left handed? Can affordable ones around $60 be safely strung up in reverse for left handed players without damaging it?

itsme
11-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Just learn to play right-handed. Seriously. It takes both hands. Ever seen a left-handed piano or a left-handed sax?

You could string it in reverse, but you will limit yourself if you insist on a left-handed uke since you won't be able to play any standard ukes.

sarahsashes
11-10-2010, 07:55 PM
You must not understand that some people are exclusively left handed. I can not play a guitar/uke with my left hand forming the chords same as I can not hold a pen and write with my right hand. I'm a lefty and that's just the way it is.

Helms
11-10-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm a lefty too, and like you, there's no way I would ever use my right hand for anything - almost.
When I started playing guitar years ago, I decided to try out as a righty due to the fact that 9/10 guitars are righthanded and not suited for lefty playing.
After a short amount of time my right hand could play guitar better then my left hand.
I strongly suggest you try to play right handed - although it will seem awkward and unnatural at first, but you won't regret it! You'll be able to pick up almost any ukulele, instead of only your own lefthanded one.
However, if you still choose to go by left handed all you need to do is change the order of the strings. Strings from the top: GCEA -> AECG

mm stan
11-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Aloha Sarasashes,
I was born Left handed, but my parents converted me when I was about five years ago...While I play right handed I do many things left handed.......
You could say I'm a soft leftie....some lefties have no coordination and feel if they did'nt start young...personally I think it would be a long road
of practice to accompish the switch on ukulele if ever possible for some...As for a ukulele, you can take it to the music store to reverse the nut
for you...while you're at it, you should change the nut and saddle to bone for an upgrade...and premimum strings...Any competent luthier can
do this for you...as you need the right size grooves for your strings...Good Luck and Have fun and Enjoy!!! I hope it helps, Happy strummings....MM Stan..

Ken Middleton
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
You must not understand that some people are exclusively left handed. I can not play a guitar/uke with my left hand forming the chords same as I can not hold a pen and write with my right hand. I'm a lefty and that's just the way it is.

I absolutely agree with Itsme. Playing the uke takes both hands. Each hand has to be trained to do something quite complex. A lot of people think that strumming is the difficult thing and that playing the chords is just a matter of placing your fingers in the right place. This is not really so. True, strumming can be complex, but fingering the chords is very complex too (perhaps even more so).

Playing with a standard uke should not be a problem. Many left-handers do this. i don't know of any uke manufacturer that considers it worthwhile to make a left-handed instrument.

If you are still not convinced, string it the other way. Before you do though, check that the saddle is straight. The nut also needs to be adjusted. It is not quite as simple as you might think.

ukantor
11-10-2010, 11:33 PM
"You must not understand that some people are exclusively left handed."

With respect, Sarahsashes, nobody is exclusively right or left handed. If you lost your left hand in an accident (God forbid), are you saying you would be helpless? There are videos on line of a guy playing the guitar (very well) with his feet. It's all in the mind.

Ken Middleton
11-10-2010, 11:58 PM
"You must not understand that some people are exclusively left handed."

With respect, Sarahsashes, nobody is exclusively right or left handed. If you lost your left hand in an accident (God forbid), are you saying you would be helpless? There are videos on line of a guy playing the guitar (very well) with his feet. It's all in the mind.

Very well put, John

I am right-handed. However, I hold a cricket bat and a bow and arrow the wrong way round (left-handed). Admittedly I don't do either very often nowadays, but that's just the way I learned. If I had been born on another planet where they all play ukuleles the wrong way round, I would have found it perfectly natutral to strum with my left hand and fret with my right.

Seriously, if you are left-handed and you see all the right-handed people playing a particular way, it is natural to feel that you should be doing it differently. However, as John says, "it's all in the mind". Holding a pen and writing is different because you only need one hand to do it.

mm stan
11-11-2010, 12:11 AM
Funny thing when I write with my right hand or left I notice the style is the same....is it the same for ukuleles then....
I guess it boils down to the way you learned....for some innate reason you choose which is more comfortable for you..
I do some things right handed while others left handed. switching would seem very akward for some time of the learning curb..

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Yes , it is relatively easy to reverse the strings. I think you are wrong on the exclusively left handed part. I'm left handed and play guitar and uke right handed. You will limit yourself to only left handed ukes and you will make learning much harder because you will have to reverse everything. Do yourself a favor and learn right handed.

heymak
11-11-2010, 01:55 AM
I've been trying to get an answer to this for a long time. Would I have to have a huge amount of money to buy my first ukulele because I'm left handed? Can affordable ones around $60 be safely strung up in reverse for left handed players without damaging it?

I bought my Kala ukulele from music guy mike on E-bay and he set it up for me left-handed. I think he would probably have a uke in your price range. He has a great reputation for setting ukes up well and providing great customer service. As a lefty I say don't let people intimidate you out of your left-handedness. Do what feels right for you.

vacuousnacho
11-11-2010, 02:42 AM
I understand the do what feels right for you thing, but I'm left handed and I was persuaded to play right handed and I am thankful. Yeah, it felt horribly awkward for about a week or so, but it went away and now if I tried to play left handed like I originally wanted to, I couldn't do it at all. And like someone else said playing right handed gives you the freedom to try out playing other ukes instead of being stuck playing your own all the time.

Righthanded is the way to go.

fitncrafty
11-11-2010, 02:50 AM
I am lefty and for some reason, I naturally picked up the uke 'right handed', I have two boys that play guitar and are left handed, they are always frustrated at the lack of choices. Although there is a guitar shop that caters to lefty's about an hour from here (where we bought their guitars). I was lucky..If you really want a left handed uke, maybe check their website they are Adirondack guitar. They ship everywhere.

good luck either way! I have never done anything else right handed, but relieved that I can play, I like the choices..

knadles
11-11-2010, 04:32 AM
I play in a band with a guy who plays guitar left-handed, but strung right-handed. I brought a uke over to his house and he played it the same way--just flipped it over and did what he was used to. Albert King played guitar that way too. Just a thought.

Fuzzy
11-11-2010, 08:29 AM
I'm left handed and play left handed and would have it no other way. I started out trying to play right handed, but it just felt wrong. I ended up ordering a uke from musicguymic on e-bay and had him set it up left handed and I've never looked back.
So, I guess, do what feels right for you.

ukantor
11-11-2010, 08:54 AM
I think the point here is that the OP is making an assumption, that because she is left handed, then she MUST play the uke the "wrong" way round. It is not a correct assumption. No one is trying to pressure her to do anything unnatural. She asked for advice, and has received it. If she choses to play anyway other than the conventional way, that is her choice, but she should be aware that it brings some serious disadvantages.

I just hope that whatever she decides will be right for her.

John Colter.

spookefoote
11-11-2010, 09:22 AM
If you want some chord charts for lefties send me a private message with an email address

sarahsashes
11-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Ok, I'll see if the music store we have (I live in a small town) could do the proper reversing of the strings for me. Playing left handed is what's natural for me. I only asked because I had a guitar once when I was a kid. This was before the internet, and the music store told us (me & my mom) that the guitar companies would have to shut down production to make a left handed one, so it just wasn't possible for them to get a lefty guitar from any of the makers in California way out here on the east coast. So they told me to just reverse the strings, and didn't say anything about changing anything else. Of course the strings didn't fit, and it never tuned right, and a year later when I sold it, the neck was slightly bent. But for everyone telling me to be right handed, sorry, it's not going to happen. I feel like I'm being told that more so out of the mass's desire for everyone in this world to be the same - heaven forbid someone be different in any way! And why are you so worried about me being able to pick up other ukes? I live in the damn sticks, there's no ukes for 500+ miles I'm sure! I'm just a country girl who wants a solitary hobby!

UkuleleHill
11-11-2010, 10:03 AM
Yes , it is relatively easy to reverse the strings. I think you are wrong on the exclusively left handed part. I'm left handed and play guitar and uke right handed. You will limit yourself to only left handed ukes and you will make learning much harder because you will have to reverse everything. Do yourself a favor and learn right handed.

I believe the words some people are very important in Sarah's statement. You may not be exclusively left handed but others are. My son although 3 is exclusively left handed. I have read several articles that say that however you pick the instrument up the first time should be the way you play it because your brain naturally is selecting right or left handed when you pick it up. To tell someone to "Do yourself a favor and learn right handed." is demeaning and uncalled for...

UkuleleHill
11-11-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok, I'll see if the music store we have (I live in a small town) could do the proper reversing of the strings for me. Playing left handed is what's natural for me. I only asked because I had a guitar once when I was a kid. This was before the internet, and the music store told us (me & my mom) that the guitar companies would have to shut down production to make a left handed one, so it just wasn't possible for them to get a lefty guitar from any of the makers in California way out here on the east coast. So they told me to just reverse the strings, and didn't say anything about changing anything else. Of course the strings didn't fit, and it never tuned right, and a year later when I sold it, the neck was slightly bent. But for everyone telling me to be right handed, sorry, it's not going to happen. I feel like I'm being told that more so out of the mass's desire for everyone in this world to be the same - heaven forbid someone be different in any way! And why are you so worried about me being able to pick up other ukes? I live in the damn sticks, there's no ukes for 500+ miles I'm sure! I'm just a country girl who wants a solitary hobby!

There should be no reason they can't! :) Good luck!

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 10:36 AM
I believe the words some people are very important in Sarah's statement. You may not be exclusively left handed but others are. My son although 3 is exclusively left handed. I have read several articles that say that however you pick the instrument up the first time should be the way you play it because your brain naturally is selecting right or left handed when you pick it up. To tell someone to "Do yourself a favor and learn right handed." is demeaning and uncalled for...
It is not demeaning or uncalled for. She is asking for opinions and that is mine. You are a moderator ??

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 10:58 AM
It is not demeaning or uncalled for. She is asking for opinions and that is mine. You are a moderator ??
Man, you made me really angry. I'm a lefty and have had alot of experience with left handed and righthanded things. I think she will be happier in the long run playing right handed . It is not demeaning and it was MY OPINION. I don't care what you have read, I think you are wrong about your brain selecting right of left.

UncleElvis
11-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Man, you made me really angry. I'm a lefty and have had alot of experience with left handed and righthanded things. I think she will be happier in the long run playing right handed . It is not demeaning and it was MY OPINION. I don't care what you have read, I think you are wrong about your brain selecting right of left.

Why is your opinion more important than others? Why is your opinion right and others' wrong?

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Why is your opinion more important than others? Why is your opinion right and others' wrong? I never said my opinion was more important, nor did I say it was right or wrong.

UncleElvis
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I never said my opinion was more important, nor did I say it was right or wrong.

Um.... "I don't care what you have read, I think you are wrong about your brain selecting right of left."

yeah... you did.

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Um.... "I don't care what you have read, I think you are wrong about your brain selecting right of left."

yeah... you did.

Yes I think he is wrong. That is my opinion.

UncleElvis
11-11-2010, 11:11 AM
So you DID say it was wrong.

So you lied when you said "nor did I say it was right or wrong."?

Kitsune
11-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Re-string it, on a cheaper uke you may not have a problem with the nut. The only thing is you should just check if the C-string fits, that's the string that might cause trouble. If it fits, no problem, if not, then just a little work at widening the nut should fix it. If you upgrade to more higher end ukes, if you buy from a good seller, they should be willing to set it up lefty for you. Mainland, for example, will do that.

So play lefty, I see no reason to compromise your playing just because most people don't play it that way :)

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 11:19 AM
[QUOTE=UncleElvis;519829]So you DID say it was wrong.

Yes, it is my opinion that he is wrong. I can't say that?

Kanaka916
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
OK! Please cease and desist . . . let's not have this escalate into something personal.

olgoat52
11-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Well I'd say that the OP has had the snot scared out of her by now ;)

Pukulele Pete
11-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Well I'd say that the OP has had the snot scared out of her by now ;)
Yea....me too. I dont understand Uncle Elvis's problem. I dont think I said anything wrong.

Ken Middleton
11-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Yea....me too. I dont understand Uncle Elvis's problem. I dont think I said anything wrong.

You didn't say anything wrong. You were absolutely correct.

UkuleleHill
11-11-2010, 11:57 AM

The way your original post began was with "I think you are wrong on the exclusively left handed part." This set the tone for the rest of the post which ended with "Do yourself a favor and learn right handed." Because of the way the post began I felt that it closed it very demeaning. Yes I understand that that is your opinion, and I respect it. But the way that you approached stating your opinion could have been handled more like an opinion and less like a "I'm right, you're wrong" Do you see what I mean?

vacuousnacho
11-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Haha yeah I think we need to just chill out. I really doubt anyone was trying to force anything on you Sarah, especially not because we're all communists lol that's just silly. If I offended anyone I apologize I did not mean to I was just giving advice based on what has worked for me as a lefty.

ukantor
11-11-2010, 12:20 PM
I feel it is wrong to refer to playing an instrument "right handed" or "left handed". There is the conventional way, or any other way you care to devise, for whatever reason. If you happen to have a very clever and nimble left hand, and a much less able right hand, your right hand is going to struggle no matter what you ask it to do. You will find strumming and picking easy with the left hand, and fretting difficult with the right hand - and vice versa.

To suggest that people are telling you to become right-handed sounds paranoid.

Kanaka916
11-11-2010, 12:36 PM
My dos centavos . . . if an individual chooses to play lefty or righty and they're comfortable, that's his/her choice. It's not for any of us to dictate how one should hold/play an ukulele. We can however, offer advice and suggestions, pros and cons and most of all, words of encouragement to continue playing and getting better. That said, let's move forward and leave the differences behind.

UncleElvis
11-11-2010, 12:48 PM

I just asked a question. You're the one who went off.

Sorry I asked you anything. I'll remember that I'm not allowed in the future and silence myself.

Hankthetank
11-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Play however is most comfortable. I am a left handed person who plays lefty. Just picture me as a mirror image of a righty. Every so often this question comes up. Most people who play righty say it's easier to play righty. Well Duh! Because that's how they play. I will say it is easier for me to play lefty. I have one custom lefty model with a cutaway. But all my other ukes, whether soprano, concert, or tenor are strung lefty. I have a flea I ordered from MGM and he restrung it for me lefty. No problems. My Nalu was strung lefty as well. Play how it is most comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong.
don't know how anyone can tell you that you will be happier playing a certain way. Play how it is most comfortable for you to learn. The chords are the same. The strings are a mirror image GCEA when I hold it lefty so I don't know what the issue is.
There really is no right or wrong. Any uke can be changed to a lefty.
Some people need to chill out. Some have strong opinions and they are entitled to them. But they can only tell you from a right handed perspective. When they say they are a lefty but play righty, then they are a righty player. All they know is the righty aspect. So take that with a grain of salt. Have I mentioned to play how it is most comfortable for you yet? Good! Just checking. Good luck and have fun.

mm stan
11-11-2010, 04:28 PM
My dos centavos . . . if an individual chooses to play lefty or righty and they're comfortable, that's his/her choice. It's not for any of us to dictate how one should hold/play an ukulele. We can however, offer advice and suggestions, pros and cons and most of all, words of encouragement to continue playing and getting better. That said, let's move forward and leave the differences behind.

Aloha Kanaka and Hank,
You guys hit it on the knows..he he Play the way you feel best comfortable, don't let anyone tell you or dictate the way you play...Only your way is right way for you....after it's all and said I hope it's just their
opinions and nothing more...it's all good that everybody offers their advice, but the last decision is totally up to you... there's a fine line between opinion and advice....I hope cool heads prevail, and apoligies
given and accepted guys...afta all, we hea to have fun eh... I have just two words....computer ettiquitte...and Have fun and Enjoy!! Happy strummings....MM Stan..

thatukuleleguy
11-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Just learn to play right-handed. Seriously. It takes both hands. Ever seen a left-handed piano or a left-handed sax?

You could string it in reverse, but you will limit yourself if you insist on a left-handed uke since you won't be able to play any standard ukes.
With the piano and sax, both hands are doing are doing essentially the same thing. For example: With the sax, both hands are opening and closing the valves. However with the uke, the left and right hands are doing very different things. It's easier to learn with the dominant hand. In her case, the left.

thatukuleleguy
11-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Play however is most comfortable. I am a left handed person who plays lefty. Just picture me as a mirror image of a righty. Every so often this question comes up. Most people who play righty say it's easier to play righty. Well Duh! Because that's how they play. I will say it is easier for me to play lefty. I have one custom lefty model with a cutaway. But all my other ukes, whether soprano, concert, or tenor are strung lefty. I have a flea I ordered from MGM and he restrung it for me lefty. No problems. My Nalu was strung lefty as well. Play how it is most comfortable for you. There is no right or wrong.
don't know how anyone can tell you that you will be happier playing a certain way. Play how it is most comfortable for you to learn. The chords are the same. The strings are a mirror image GCEA when I hold it lefty so I don't know what the issue is.
There really is no right or wrong. Any uke can be changed to a lefty.
Some people need to chill out. Some have strong opinions and they are entitled to them. But they can only tell you from a right handed perspective. When they say they are a lefty but play righty, then they are a righty player. All they know is the righty aspect. So take that with a grain of salt. Have I mentioned to play how it is most comfortable for you yet? Good! Just checking. Good luck and have fun.

:agree: .

ukantor
11-11-2010, 11:02 PM
TUG said, "It's easier to learn with the dominant hand. In her case, the left."

That is correct, so it would be easier for a left handed person to learn to fret with the left hand. Right?

Ken Middleton
11-11-2010, 11:14 PM
TUG said, "It's easier to learn with the dominant hand. In her case, the left."

That is correct, so it would be easier for a left handed person to learn to fret with the left hand. Right?

I think we are flogging a dead horse with this one, John.

ukantor
11-12-2010, 12:40 AM
I agree, Ken. I'm all in favour of everyone playing their instrument however they like. I am opposed to the assumption that left handed people must find it easier to play in an unconventional way. That is not so for all left handers, and it is irresponsible to suggest (as the OP did - "What about Lefties?") that people whose dominant hand is the left, will need to play differently.

Play how you like, but it is your choice.

Having said that, I must add that alterations to a uke, to reverse the playing style, should only be done by someone with experience of setting up ukuleles. You are not likely to find that experience at any local music store. Guitar set-up experience is not applicable to the uke. It is a simple job, but it would be easy to get it wrong.

Best wishes, Sarah. Enjoy your uking.

ichadwick
11-12-2010, 01:17 AM
You must not understand that some people are exclusively left handed.
Two words: Jimi Hendrix.
And if you need more names of left-handed guitarists: Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musicians_who_play_left-handed).
You can safely invert ukes and simply restring them because it doesn't change the tension. You may find the nut is cut to allow wider strings on one side, so you will need to enlarge it a bit to accomodate the shift and let the string sit in the groove properly. You can do this with a very fine file - even a good nail file will work - if you are careful not to make it too deep or wide.

Nothing sinister about being a lefty... ;-)

Hankthetank
11-12-2010, 01:36 AM

Are you sure? I like that feeling of being sinister as a lefty. Sort of like a super villain. Does this mean I have to stop wearing a cape to uke jams? Just sayin ;)

ukantor
11-12-2010, 02:32 AM
ichad said:- "Nothing sinister about being a lefty... ;-) "

Doesn't stop you from being dexterous, either.

Ken Middleton
11-12-2010, 03:12 AM
ichad said:- "Nothing sinister about being a lefty... ;-) "

Doesn't stop you from being dexterous, either.

Wasn't it Admiral Nelson that said, "I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous"?

musicmonsterw
11-12-2010, 03:22 AM
Are you sure? I like that feeling of being sinister as a lefty. Sort of like a super villain. Does this mean I have to stop wearing a cape to uke jams? Just sayin ;)

As long as you wear something, it's all good. Hell, if you wear nothing, it's all good.

UncleElvis
11-12-2010, 03:52 AM

VERY clever, sir. Very, very clever.
You almost got me.

Hankthetank
11-12-2010, 05:11 AM
I feel as if I'm on an island by myself-Lefty Island. It's is a beautiful island with plenty of tolerance. There is no anti-lefticism. Only love. Love for one and all. Lefty and righty. Come to my island Ken. I want to have a Lefty Island Uke Fest. Righties are invited, but their drinks cost a little more.

Sambient
11-17-2010, 01:55 AM
My experience with the whole left handed thing is that for me it's worked out best for me to play with my instrument simply flipped.
A good few years ago when I was interested in playing the bass I'd figured this out for myself. Though it that time it had to do with the psychological aspect of me liking my "fat" string, my lowest note, closest to the ground. Somehow too, it was easiest for me to read tablature that way. Bottom of the staff being closest to the ground.
When I started fiddling about with the uke, I wondered if it would be easier for me if I had my instrument strung lefty. So, I restrung my flea market purchased entry level uke.
Within a day, I was changing the strings back to the original configuration. Reading tablature was easier in my head playing left handed with the strings flipped. Also, there's a bonus. I find some of the chord shapes easier than my right-handed counterparts do. Ask anyone who plays this way, E is super easy!
Yes, playing left handed one is short changed by some models. Controls for electrics aren't placed in a lefty friendly way. Riptides aren't really for us either. But if nothing else, it at least threw a few minor barriers when my UAS was at its most rampant.
My choice to play lefty but flipped works out great for me as far as being able to pick up any uke in the store, and as far as my right handed husband and I being able to interchange ukes.
I do get amused in the music stores when a salesperson notices I'm holding an instrument southpaw and asks "Why's she playing left handed?" As if there'd be an answer other than "because she's left handed."
The only place I come up short if being able to show chords to any friends that I've gifted an ukulele to get them started playing.

Dane
11-17-2010, 06:00 AM
Either way a person has to learn how both hands will work. I'm right handed and I had trouble using my RIGHT hand, in fact my left hand seemed to do better! If I were serious about wanting to learn and was left handed, I would learn righty, because for me it comes down to convenience sake, you're not going to be able to walk into a music store to try out instruments and ask them to re-string everything lefty for you. Every once in a while I put my uke in the other direction, and think about what it would be like to learn lefty, and it feels exactly the same as when I first picked up my uke right handed. Whichever hand is your dominant is just going to be the one that is better at first, and if your fretting hand is better at first I imagine you could learn much faster because at least you're strumming the correct notes, even if you don't have a good strum or something.

I hope that made sense.

Here is a stupid example, but it is applicable: I use my left hand to open bottles, because it is far superior to opening bottles with my right hand (no awkward upside-down hand with reduced leverage)

Mitzy
11-17-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't know if I have posted in this thread or not, but here goes.

I am left-handed. I do most things lefty, but I found, when I was taking golf lessons, that I play far better right handed, so I do often try things both ways. When I played and coached softball, I pitched and batted both. Pitched better left, batted about the same both ways.

I am trying to play right handed first, if it doesn't seem to work, I will try left handed. I play guitar left handed, but I am so bad, it really doesn't seem to matter!!
So far, playing right handed seems to work fairly well, although when I turn the uke over, I CAN strum better and pick up the patterns faster left handed. I don't seem to be having any trouble playing chords, either way, but it's easier for me to read the music if I am playing right handed, as I don't have to think about it too much. Since I am also learning to deal with a newly developed serious vision issue, I am trying to keep that stress down to a minimum.

Any suggestions, comments or wise-ass remarks?

Oh, also, I really want a GIGAPUS sticker.

janetibarbosa
11-18-2010, 05:10 AM
You do not understand that some people are for lefties. I can not play guitar / uke with the left hand are the same deal that can not hold a pen and write with my right hand. I am left handed and its just the way it is.

ukantor
11-18-2010, 05:23 AM
So you play the uke one handed?

heymak
11-18-2010, 05:25 AM
In a world where I must conform to using right hand power tools, computers, and smear my ink across the page when I write, I like my non-judgmental uke that lets play her how ever I see fit, which for me happens to be left handed. The almighty uke, spreader of PEACE.

ukantor
11-18-2010, 06:59 AM
I'll drink to that - Cheers!

John Colter.

Mitzy
11-18-2010, 07:44 AM
I agree that some people cannot do things with both hands. I bet most Right handers cannot do much with their left hands!!
I will probably switch over to left handed playing. I am just a little scared to try to restring my uke! Do you think if I take it back to the store where I bought it, they will restring it for me?

Dane
11-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I agree that some people cannot do things with both hands. I bet most Right handers cannot do much with their left hands!!

I just typed a big huge message then clicked the wrong box and deleted it. Anyways, I think this is a load of poop [no offense intended] The human body adapts to any situation. People lose their right arm and learn to do everything just the same with their left hand. I know an artist who is right handed but only paints with his left, and now his left is good at painting. I have a friend who had a bad injury to his right arm, he learned to write with left and now he can write with both hands. We use keyboards with 2 hands. I know a musician who plays guitar right handed, but plays banjo left handed. I drive my car with my left hand only (and I am right handed) WHen I got my uke, my left hand was useless, but over time it got used to the new act and now it works great. It's all training. And personally, I think a left handed person learning righty would have an advantage, as I said it would be more natural for this person to form shapes with their fretting hand, and if your fretting hand is doing its job well then your strumming arm doesn't have to be doing as good of a job. It doesn't work at ALL the other way around.

I say just learn righty, that way you can pick up other peoples instruments, or use ones in shops, read tabs and chord books easier, watch instructional videos easier. If this is REALLY REALLY something you absolutely HATE the idea of doing, then maybe just flip it over without re-stringing, you might get a cool unique sound, and it will make everything stated much easier than completely re-stringing your uke. But keep in mind that some chord shapes, or songs or whatever, may be easier or harder since they were not designed for this.

itsme
11-18-2010, 09:22 AM
I am just a little scared to try to restring my uke! Do you think if I take it back to the store where I bought it, they will restring it for me?
Mitzy, it may seem a little daunting at first, but changing strings is part and parcel of playing a stringed instrument. I don't really enjoy doing it, but I'm certainly not going to haul my instruments off to a music store and pay someone else to do it for me. And new strings, while they do take some time to settle in, are always a reward in themselves. :)

If your uke is strung re-entrant (high G), then the 1st and 4th nut/saddle slots are about the same, so there really shouldn't be any alteration necessary, which might be the case if it were strung low G.

There are videos and other instruction out there about changing strings. I say just go for it. After all, if you should break a string on a Saturday night, you can't exactly run to the music store and have them string it for you. Which brings me to another important point... always, always, always have at least one spare set of strings on hand! :p

Pukulele Pete
11-18-2010, 09:26 AM
I just typed a big huge message then clicked the wrong box and deleted it. Anyways, I think this is a load of poop [no offense intended] The human body adapts to any situation. People lose their right arm and learn to do everything just the same with their left hand. I know an artist who is right handed but only paints with his left, and now his left is good at painting. I have a friend who had a bad injury to his right arm, he learned to write with left and now he can write with both hands. We use keyboards with 2 hands. I know a musician who plays guitar right handed, but plays banjo left handed. I drive my car with my left hand only (and I am right handed) WHen I got my uke, my left hand was useless, but over time it got used to the new act and now it works great. It's all training. And personally, I think a left handed person learning righty would have an advantage, as I said it would be more natural for this person to form shapes with their fretting hand, and if your fretting hand is doing its job well then your strumming arm doesn't have to be doing as good of a job. It doesn't work at ALL the other way around.

I say just learn righty, that way you can pick up other peoples instruments, or use ones in shops, read tabs and chord books easier, watch instructional videos easier. If this is REALLY REALLY something you absolutely HATE the idea of doing, then maybe just flip it over without re-stringing, you might get a cool unique sound, and it will make everything stated much easier than completely re-stringing your uke. But keep in mind that some chord shapes, or songs or whatever, may be easier or harder since they were not designed for this.
I agree completely.

heymak
11-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I don't think anyone believes it's impossible to switch from lefty to righty. It's just that some of us like to embrace our difference rather than conform to someone else view of what is RIGHT.

ukantor
11-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Nothing left to say.

Dane
11-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't think anyone believes it's impossible to switch from lefty to righty. It's just that some of us like to embrace our difference rather than conform to someone else view of what is RIGHT.

Nothing left to say.

Kudos for the cleverness to both of you lol. It's fine to be different and do your own thing, string your uke lefty, it's not going to affect me. But I think people should know what they're losing by not "conforming". You're playing a uke, although the group of people playing ukulele is smaller than many popular instruments, you are conforming just by playing one. If you want to be different, then take a 2x4, place some nails in each end, and tie shoe laces between them and play that lol

Mitzy
11-18-2010, 08:04 PM
Wow. Lots of folks have an interest in other folks conforming or doing it their way. Hmmm.
I am actually trying to learn both ways, but I do feel I have to give left handed a try, since I am left handed. I think if you are not a lefty, you really don't have any idea what it is like.
Does Ned Flanders play the uke?

Dane
11-18-2010, 10:06 PM
Wow. Lots of folks have an interest in other folks conforming or doing it their way. Hmmm.
I am actually trying to learn both ways, but I do feel I have to give left handed a try, since I am left handed. I think if you are not a lefty, you really don't have any idea what it is like.
Does Ned Flanders play the uke?

I often have flipped my uke to lefty just to mess around, and after just a few minutes I find my hands starting to adapt (except my nails on my right hand interfere with fretting a bit) I don't think anyone here is trying to get anyone to conform, its simply convienence sake, and with no negative effects, both hands have to learn to do completely un-natural things anyways, it's the sensible option in my opinion to learn standard (I'm calling it standard now, since it is). I think if you are not a righty then you have no idea how hard it is to learn to fret with your left hand...... at first.... it goes both ways.

You can do however you like, but you must realize that you are the one that has to deal with all the issues. But I will always reccomend that lefties learn to play standard and I will never have my mind swayed that it is more difficult for someone who is lefty to learn righty. If it were a one handed instrument it would be a different story.

Pukulele Pete
11-18-2010, 11:59 PM
I often have flipped my uke to lefty just to mess around, and after just a few minutes I find my hands starting to adapt (except my nails on my right hand interfere with fretting a bit) I don't think anyone here is trying to get anyone to conform, its simply convienence sake, and with no negative effects, both hands have to learn to do completely un-natural things anyways, it's the sensible option in my opinion to learn standard (I'm calling it standard now, since it is). I think if you are not a righty then you have no idea how hard it is to learn to fret with your left hand...... at first.... it goes both ways.

You can do however you like, but you must realize that you are the one that has to deal with all the issues. But I will always reccomend that lefties learn to play standard and I will never have my mind swayed that it is more difficult for someone who is lefty to learn righty. If it were a one handed instrument it would be a different story.
Yaaaaaaaa.........me too.

heymak
11-19-2010, 03:33 AM
Does Ned Flanders play the uke? He does now. I know not a very good photo chop.

Sambient
11-19-2010, 05:20 AM

Yeah, I can do all the things you mentioned just fine with my uke flipped except ease of instructional videos. But I seem to not care for instructional videos much anyway.
Flipped is cool. And playing lefty gives the opportunity to share a mic with a right handed player and have it look exceptionally cool. Not that I've yet had the occasion to do such a thing.
I'm satisfied with playing this way and bristle at suggestions of conformity.

mm stan
11-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I can do all the things you mentioned just fine with my uke flipped except ease of instructional videos. But I seem to not care for instructional videos much anyway.
Flipped is cool. And playing lefty gives the opportunity to share a mic with a right handed player and have it look exceptionally cool. Not that I've yet had the occasion to do such a thing.
I'm satisfied with playing this way and bristle at suggestions of conformity.
Aloha Sam,
I always knew you would stand up for what you believe in....You go Girl!!! Way to go!! I admire that trait in you!! and the vocab....Bristle, Way to cool!!! MM Stan...

Fuzzy
11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I'm satisfied with playing this way and bristle at suggestions of conformity.Me too. Equal rights for lefts, I say.

Dane
11-19-2010, 12:21 PM
At some point I will have another uke, and I will string it lefty and learn to play just to prove a point, "I promise this or else I die" (Lance Krall)

heymak
11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
At some point I will have another uke, and I will string it lefty and learn to play just to prove a point, "I promise this or else I die" (Lance Krall)

MUUAH HA HA HA, But you will never truely be SINISTER...:deadhorse:

Dane
11-19-2010, 02:28 PM
MUUAH HA HA HA, But you will never truely be SINISTER...:deadhorse:

It doesn't hurt to try though! I may not be religious, but I am firm in my left-to-right handed ukulele beliefs.

Oldgaryh
11-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Kala makes good left handed ukuleles and some of them are cut away instruments. Most of the custom builders will make a left handed ukulele. I just got a new Mele that is left handed, my Banjo, Dulcimer, Gutars and Ukuleles are all left handed. Now days it is much easier to get a left handed instrument. Even my Pan Flute is left handed. But I can also play a right handed Ukulele up side down, that is how I first learned to play.

Dane
11-20-2010, 12:37 AM
But I can also play a right handed Ukulele up side down, that is how I first learned to play.
Hah! See I was right!

Thank you friend.